Author Topic: RSS Feeds of Cuda-Challenger.com Content  (Read 1322 times)

RedLine

RSS Feeds of Cuda-Challenger.com Content
« on: February 28, 2006 - 09:41:56 PM »
If you are like me you are in and out of web browsers all day.  Now you could always cycle around through all your bookmarks to keep up with whats going on -- or, you could just bring whats going on to where you are working!  You can do that with a web coding technique that is catching on called "RSS"

Below are two examples of using RSS to feed Cuda-Challenger.com content.
The first is through FireFox -- a very popular browser, which supports RSS feeds as "Headlines". The second is customizing your Google Desktop to have the recent posts in RSS formatted as a little portlet . 

(Credit to Troy: he mentioned these RSS capabilities in a post a few weeks back in site suggestions)   
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006 - 09:53:19 PM by RedLine »

RedLine

Re: RSS Feeds of Cuda-Challenger.com Content
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006 - 09:46:19 PM »
Anyway - there is a lot you can do with RSS -- customizing what content you want and where you want it.   for instance if you want top CNN Feeds direct to your browser, see http://www.cnn.com/services/rss/ or if you like to keep up with whats happening in the Music scene - you could subscribe to one of the feeds here http://www.livedaily.com/rss/

a nice overview of RSS is found here --  http://www.shortwire.com/wire/pages/sw-rss-overview.jsp

to see the XML formatting of our forum's RSS feed you can investigate this URL www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml but like Troy said,  dont stare too long unless you like XML

anyway if you want to experiment you can start with the above URL and put it in any RSS reader.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2006 - 10:24:05 PM by RedLine »

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006 - 09:57:34 PM »
The site I moderate on will not turn this feature on as it is for Spammers.
A snippet quote from the admin"Yup, were not turning on RSS as it will allow our posts to be fed to other sites...."
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006 - 10:04:23 PM by JS27N0B »
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

RedLine

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006 - 10:13:17 PM »
Interesting point--  dont think we'll have a spam problem- RSS has been turned on for a long time and no one is trying to abuse syndication of our content.  but if they did-- might be good exposure!  Public guests still cant get the attachments delivered without logon ID/pw...so syndication is no real load on server anyway-- just text post titles...  but I guess we should keep an eye out for spikes in the hit counts on the XML side.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006 - 10:17:53 PM »

Red, slightly off topic but still computer related.....I can't get a video (DVD Cam disc) of my Challenger to shrink. It's currently at about 56.7kbs and is too large to send to someone like yourself to shrink it for me. I want to compress it so it still has quality but at only 10kb or something. I stayed up all night trying free downloads from the net with no luck. When I get one of my going through the Gear Vendors I will copy the disc and post it to you and Laura to which Laura agreed with open arms.

Any tips or pointers mate? This would be a great topic for others as Photos are easy to do, but to get more videos on board of user rides a topic like this would be useful to say the least.

Cheers,
Carl
NZ440R/T
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006 - 10:22:49 PM »
Interesting point--  dont think we'll have a spam problem- RSS has been turned on for a long time and no one is trying to abuse syndication of our content.  but if they did-- might be good exposure!  Public guests still cant get the attachments delivered without logon ID/pw...so syndication is no real load on server anyway-- just text post titles...  but I guess we should keep an eye out for spikes in the hit counts on the XML side.
Could this be part of the reason this site is painfully slow at times?
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006 - 10:26:10 PM »

Red, slightly off topic but still computer related.....I can't get a video (DVD Cam disc) of my Challenger to shrink. It's currently at about 56.7kbs and is too large to send to someone like yourself to shrink it for me. I want to compress it so it still has quality but at only 10kb or something. I stayed up all night trying free downloads from the net with no luck. When I get one of my going through the Gear Vendors I will copy the disc and post it to you and Laura to which Laura agreed with open arms.

Any tips or pointers mate? This would be a great topic for others as Photos are easy to do, but to get more videos on board of user rides a topic like this would be useful to say the least.

Cheers,
Carl
NZ440R/T

How about DVD shrink ? It compresses DVD files for burning purposes.
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp

RedLine

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006 - 10:39:20 PM »
JS- highly doubt it.  RSS makes such a tiny load on server - its a much more efficient (XML) delivery of content than HTML.  see example below-- the entire RSS feed for recent posts is only 5Kb !  the main forum page that all users go to is somewhere around 500Kb -- 100 times larger...  so any RSS feed request would be negligable -- we would have to have 100 RSS requests before it equaled a single forum page request.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006 - 10:42:57 PM »
How about DVD shrink ? It compresses DVD files for burning purposes.

Yip, tried that from Google too.  :crying:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006 - 10:57:05 PM »
So how do I add these RSS feeds to firefox?

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006 - 11:13:20 PM »
Ok figured it out myself

Offline Troy

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006 - 07:58:34 PM »
The site I moderate on will not turn this feature on as it is for Spammers.
A snippet quote from the admin"Yup, were not turning on RSS as it will allow our posts to be fed to other sites...."
That wouldn't really be spam. You're talking about other web sites stealing your content. RSS is a horrible way to steal content since it really only shows the title and a short description of the item (the specifications call for less than 256 characters). RSS does NOT allow anyone to feed content back to the site either - only read it. "Spamming" is when someone posts garbage ads on your site and is technically impossible with RSS. I believe you *can* make the feeds private if you're worried about people accessing them without permission.

As for performance, since the information is pure text in a relatively compact format (usually 15 items or less at 256 characters) there's much less of a load on the server than actually having people read all those threads individually. On a "normal" site, the XML file is stored by the user for a predetermined amount of time. This means that no matter how many times they view the RSS feed it only makes requests to the real web server when it determines the file is "stale". This is because RSS is mainly used for news type feeds which may only get updated a few times per day. On a forum, the feed is updated much more often but I'd bet there's still a small time delay.

Also, MyYahoo is very simple to setup for reading RSS. However, it doesn't seem to update as often as it should. I haven't timed Google yet.

You're welcome Red! :wave:

Troy
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006 - 08:00:44 PM by Troy »
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.