Author Topic: 4cruzin Engine buildup  (Read 5872 times)

Offline firefighter3931

Re: 4cruzin Engine buildup
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006 - 11:57:22 AM »
Not what I want to hear . . . I will consider a different intake if that is the case! 

The 440-2 intake is pretty tall...measures 6.75in to the flange. The other difficulty you'll encounter is the intake ports which are max wedge sized and low manifolds are virtually non-existant with a MW intake port. Indy does carry a dual plane that measures 5.25 to the flange but it will require some mods to make it work because the dual plane is for a standard port window...but has enough material to be opened up to MW size. That one should fit with a bulge hood and 1.25in drop base aircleaner.

Those are nice heads no doubt and hopefully you've got lots of motor undeneath them. Big ports reduce velocity with small engines, which in turn hurts low end power. If you're running those on a 440ci combo, you'll want lots of compression, lots of cam, lots of gear and lots of stall.  :2cents: The dual plane will make it more street friendly assuming that's the intended purpose.  :grinyes:

Ron

Ps. are those SR's, EZ's or 440-1's and what's the intake port volume. I'm assuming it's a 3.75 stroke combo because there was no mention of a stroker crank ?
68 Charger RT street/strip Bruiser & 70 Charger RT 440-6pack the ultimate Cruiser

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006 - 01:07:29 PM »
I hope it fits 4C, cause i put a similar intake on my 440 using a power bulge hood haha :roflsmiley: tell me how it works out if you drop it in before me! :thumbsup:
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006 - 02:33:09 PM »
4C, Can you give me an idea how tall the intake is? Do you want a stock looking airfilter? If not, I went with a K&N, with a drop base. I think it looks pretty good. I can take a picture this weekend if you want to see it.  :picture:   Mike

I would like to see it!  Thanks   :wave:

Firefighter . . it is going to be over 500ci . . . it is a stroker crank and I'm running 5.11 lift on the cam.  Should be high 10's in compression as I want it to be street worthy and run on a mix of 110 and premium gas.  Really do want to keep my hood so looking for opinions and options!  Thanks Everyone  :cheers:

« Last Edit: March 03, 2006 - 02:36:18 PM by 4cruzin »

Offline firefighter3931

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006 - 03:14:35 PM »
I would like to see it!  Thanks   :wave:

Firefighter . . it is going to be over 500ci . . . it is a stroker crank and I'm running 5.11 lift on the cam.  Should be high 10's in compression as I want it to be street worthy and run on a mix of 110 and premium gas.  Really do want to keep my hood so looking for opinions and options!  Thanks Everyone  :cheers:

4cruizin; that's good to hear. The big inch motor won't be overcome by the large port volumes like a 440 would. Fwiw, we bolted on an old Torker on my buddies 440 with a 1in spacer and a drop base airfilter and it wouldn't clear the stock cuda (flat) hood. The torker + 1in spacer is lower than the indy manifold you've got. Hopefully you've got the bulge hood which should help....

You might be able to get it to clear with the dualplane and a drop base. I believe MP makes a single plane M1 with MW ports and 4150 flange....that's another option.

I hear ya on the stock hood...i've got the same issues with my Charger. I think we both prefer the stock hood/stealth look but it does limit intake manifold choices, unfortunately.

Ron
68 Charger RT street/strip Bruiser & 70 Charger RT 440-6pack the ultimate Cruiser

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006 - 03:28:48 PM »
4C,
  This is a picture from back when I first got my car. The intake is an Edelbrock Torker2 single plane... it looks something like yours anyway. I have a plane Jane flat Challenger hood on my car. The drop base air cleaner sits about an inch or less below the hood when closed. Whew!!! My question to you is... is your hood flat, or does it rise a little to maybe give you more room? For the record, my aircleaner is only 3 inches tall, so you can go bigger(higher) if you want to.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2006 - 02:33:51 PM »
Very sweet 4C.  I know how anxious you must be feeling about the hood clearence. I have very similar thoughts going through my head this very moment about my Cuda.

I can't wait to see your progress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :cooldancing:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2006 - 04:06:06 PM »
Sweet lookin' build 4c!  Can't wait to see it when it's done!

I can understand your concern with the hood clearance.  That does look like a tall intake!  A drop base filter, I'm not too familiar with them, but I would be curious how much reduction in air flow (if any) you might get if the "hat" of the air cleaner comes that much closer to the top of the carb.

Crazy idea but here it is:  What about a air filter relocation?  Have you seen the air horns for things like centrifugal superchargers?  They come in different heights and then the air filter can be pushed more to the front of the engine compartment to get less hot air coming from the headers and more cooler ambient air?

Looking at this picture you could imagine that instead of the air horn tube connected to the supercharger, it's connected to an air filter?  Or lead it in front of the radiator and make a "box" for a ram air effect.  Crazy idea but I thought I would toss this idea out to you.  (Ok, you can stop laughing now!!!)

http://www.thesuperchargerstore.com/

« Last Edit: March 04, 2006 - 04:11:22 PM by 4cruzin »
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2006 - 04:13:44 PM »
I'm not laughing . . . that's an interesting idea!  I have been kicking around the idea of a supercharger too! 

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2006 - 05:26:29 PM »
Ah!!! a million thanks MEK!!  Thats my identical intake on your engine,  I was a little worried mine wouldn't fit also! im putting it under a power bulge hood so should have plenty of clearance! :thumbsup:  Thanks again!
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline freightdriver

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2006 - 07:59:18 PM »
mek are you running a 440 or a low deck??? wanting to run the factory dual snorkel on my 400 but now i'm having my doubts i'll be running the edelbrock torker with a stock chally hood

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2006 - 08:37:40 PM »
mek are you running a 440 or a low deck??? wanting to run the factory dual snorkel on my 400 but now i'm having my doubts i'll be running the edelbrock torker with a stock chally hood

I had a torker with a dual snorkel on my 383(same as 400) and it cleared the Challenger bulge hood without a problem.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2006 - 03:38:24 AM »

I'm running a 440. I'm kinda thinking there might be some trouble for you getting a stock aircleaner on the Torker and fitting it under a flat hood.  :screwy:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline freightdriver

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2006 - 02:16:42 PM »
hmm time to rethink my plan...

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2006 - 03:26:48 PM »
hmm time to rethink my plan...

I guess the question is, does the 400 sit in the same place as the 440? I'm guessing they pretty much all sit the same. Maybe someone else knows better??? Does any engine sit a little lower than anything else???

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline freightdriver

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2006 - 02:24:57 AM »
the 400 decks are like an 1.5 to 2inchs shorter then the 440 so i'd imagine that they'd sit an 1in or 2 lower so it might just barely clear if not i'm going to modify the base because that was the staple of this whole project i want it to look like a mostly stock 383 other then headers and the intake. even when i build the 511 i'll be leaving the same sleeper look even if it costs me afew hp. but then again the 3 1/2 mandrel bent exhaust and 2 chamber flows with turndowns should'nt give it away :sleeping:

sorry to steal your thread 4cruzin  :cheers: