Author Topic: Bad Body Shop Vent  (Read 2391 times)

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
Bad Body Shop Vent
« on: March 04, 2006 - 05:27:46 PM »
Some of you may be aware that I've been having "issues" getting my car finished and returned from the body shop.  Long story short, it's been 5 1/2 months since it arrived at the shop and 3 months since final payment with a promise to be finished in a week.  Push came to shove and today I went and took back my ride. Unfinished and probably headed to small claims court.  Oldschool has graciously offered to hook me up with his friend who's currently working on THE BEAST, so perhaps he'll have a playmate while there.

I chalk these things up to lessons learned. Don't ever get suckered into paying in advance, no matter how good the reason and  don't ever do business with Mike West of A-Team Collision in Marietta, Georgia!!!!! http://www.ateamcollision.com/  :swear: :stomp: :pullinghair: :banghead:

Just wanted to vent!  I feel a little better now.  Thanks.
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
Re: Bad Body Shop Vent
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006 - 05:29:00 PM »
Thanks for the heads up!!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006 - 05:34:14 PM »

Sorry to hear, that really sucks.  :villagers: Puts a holt on your progress.  :crying:
I'll be sure to spread the bad word if asked about the outfit.

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 70RTdroptop

• 1970 Challenger R/T 440-SixPack
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006 - 06:09:09 PM »
That sucks bigtime!! Can't stand people who pull that crap!
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440-6 convertible
1966 Ford Mustang convertible  - numbers matching (wife's car )

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006 - 06:19:20 PM »
I always do my own body work :thumbsup:  That way if im not impressed with the work thats being done I just slap myself and do it over again :roflsmiley:  But seriously...that really sucks. :(
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006 - 01:06:08 AM »
I have no idea why but this is very typical of body shops , around here I do not even have 1 I can recommend , we just got the 71 GTX body back finished on wed , it was promised for May last year  :banghead:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline crcarch

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006 - 07:12:21 AM »
I have no idea why but this is very typical of body shops , around here I do not even have 1 I can recommend , we just got the 71 GTX body back finished on wed , it was promised for May last year  :banghead:

My mother-in-law works part-time as a receptionist for a body shop in a different city and she wasn't surprised at the outcome.  She says she's never experienced the level of BS she's seen in the Body Repair business in any other enterprise. :dunno: She says they blatantly lie all the time and customer service is more or less irrelevant to them.  I guess they'll always be able to keep getting work as long as there are more vehicles requiring repair than reputable shops to do the work.

Thanks all for the emotional support.
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006 - 07:46:27 AM »
I know what your talking about.I worked in many shops and i just couldnt stoop that low.good work really does take time.And I decided years ago to bring my tools home and just get a regular job until i can afford to have my own shop.I have been asked by many local shops to come work for them but i made promise to myself and i am a man of my word so the answer has been no to them.And anytime you want to let steam out,let it out.I have been doing it for years and it does make you feel better.maybe one day there will be a shop named-----moparclowns restorations.

Offline crcarch

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006 - 08:08:04 AM »
maybe one day there will be a shop named-----moparclowns restorations.

Good luck with that!  We need more honest, competent body shops!

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006 - 09:20:30 AM »
Sorry to hear about your problems crcarch.  I can relate!!  When I had my convertible done, I was told it would take approx. 1 year to complete and I got it back 4 years later!!   :banghead:   :banghead:  Some of my friend started thinking a was making up a story and that I really didn't have a convertible!   :dunno:

Offline 70GranCoupe

• I am not a llama, I am a man!
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006 - 09:38:51 AM »
I can totally understand my story is even worse. I was run off the road by an old lady (82 yrs old) on her way to, get this to a Bible Retreat. I saved her life by avoiding T-Boning her at 55 but smacked my beloved car into a guard rail on the side of a mountain after trying to pull a J turn into the other lane. Believe it or not she kept driving. After making sure my girlfriend was alright I literally chased the old ladies car on foot banging on her trunk to get her to pull over. She asked if there was a problem I said hell yeah you just caused an accident! So now you know how fast she was goin when she cut me off and I was goin 55 mph. She later made the statement that she didn't see anyone coming to which a witness replied I saw him and I was 3 cars behind you! She said she put her car into 'low one' to climb the hill. Can you image an 82 yr old woman in low one cuts me off at 55 coming down a mountain!  Her insurance company refused to pay because I did not make contact with her car, so I had to hire an attorney and sue them. Luckily I had witnesses who were willing to make statements. I literally had to force the Sherriffs Deputy to take the statements after these kind people had been waiting an hour with me! The sherriff's dept then had my car towed and stranded me and my girlfriend on a mountain and refused to give either of us a ride to where we could use a phone. One of the witnesses was at a camp up the road and gave us a ride to his tent and we called on his CB to get a land line call out to my Dad to pick us up. So much for protect and serve!

The body guy that was recommended to me 1st started by screwing up the money received from the old ladys insurance company and told them the value the car was worth in crashed condition which they wriote down as intact condition prior to the accident $2500. My car spent 2 -3 years in a body shop promised at somewhere around 6 months I really didn't care about the six months cause it was free Winter storage. I was quoted $1500 I paid $750 towards materials, a new vinyl roof and the seats were recovered (on both counts the work was wrong). I called the guy constantly and he avoided me I kept saying I want the car back and he kept avoiding me. He lived in a small town and the guy who recommended him said rumor had it he had lots of interest in my car and was gonna sell it. That was the last straw I said I wanted the car now, showed up when someone had told me he was at his shop, cause literally he would leave when I came. The car was back together and already had rust bubbles on the finish. I went and picked it up by that time the rear main was toast and I was leakin oil from sittin so long. The work was horrible he was a real bondo slinger. He replaced a lot of cool original parts with crap and threw the originals out, the bill more than doubled to like $5,000 remember he screwed me and I only received $2500 plus had to pay a lawyer to get that. I also had brought a parts car he took stuff off of and then had it crushed. He sued me for the difference plus interest at like 10% which I had to hire another attorney , he lost cause he couldn't produce any evidence any work had been done.

I am just happy to have gotten my car back I know it is a Gran Coupe not a Cuda, as I am reminded many times. It was the first car I ever owned and has so much sentimental value to me. I would never be able to afford a car like that now given the crazy prices, hell I can barely afford parts.

I count my lucky stars that I am now fixing the work myself and a great friend of mine is helping me with all the fabrication and serious paint work. This has been a long time comin since the car hasn't been right since like 1986. I know we don't have the quality of tools or day to day experience of a 'real' body shop, but I can say that I did the work myself with my buddy Dave.

I guess the moral is, your story sucks and I can totally identify with the frustration, but you have your car back and that is what is most important!

If you are anywhere near Upstate NY I can give you a name of a guy who I think is pretty good I can't afford him but he knows MOPARs.  

PS this is about half my story of woe!

Sean

Offline common 27

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006 - 10:37:05 AM »
 :banghead: I also had a car stuck in limbo after I paid in advance.That must be the key!!!I'll never pay the full amount until the work is done.Are body shops the only business that does this? Anyway glad everything is working out.
1970  Challenger Convertible   1968 Satellite Convertible

Offline freightdriver

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006 - 11:32:29 AM »
i've been bent over too many times around here... i've finally found a decent painter out of the area and my car will be going to him. but i won't be payin in advance again and i will be down there every other weekend to see if  progress has been made and to take afew pics...

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006 - 04:49:12 PM »
If anyone still needs a reputible body man in michigan, My dads cousin does body work around the Saginaw area.(mostly chevelles) but does all kinds of work, resto's, insurance work, etc etc.  His work is truly spectacular, and a very trustworthy guy to.  He's the guy im taking my challenger to once i get all the body filler work done on it.  I could paint it myself but i know it wouldn't be half the car if I did it instead of him. :thumbsup:
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline crcarch

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006 - 05:37:38 PM »
It's nice not to be alone in this, but it sucks to know so many of you have had an experience with a body shop that was like a scene from Deliverence.

I've spent today cleaning it up, organizing the parts and taking some pictures. Came across two brackets that I need help identifying them.  They're symetrical and both show multiple layers of paint, so I know that they must be somewhat visible but I don't have a clue as to where they go.  They were in a box with a lot of the parts from under the hood.  Let me know if you can ID them.

Thanks.