Author Topic: mp 292/509 cam drive qualities  (Read 4153 times)

Offline sccarts1

mp 292/509 cam drive qualities
« on: March 04, 2006 - 10:03:44 PM »
if anyone is running a 440 w/ the mp 292/509 cam i'd like to know your driving experiences.
i'm running a totally rebuilt 440+6,  10:1 , 292/509 , 4 speed  & 456 posi. the ignition is the
prestolite dual point unit. EVERYTHING is new  & the engine lites right up yet under load
she pulsates  terribly throughout the entire rpm range. i've got less than 3 hours on the
engine  &  gone thru the carbs & distributor over & over yet no improvement. the engine
runs like the firing order is mixed up but that's no the case. i expected some low end
roughness considering the cam but not thru the entire range. any ideas or experiences.
i haven't  really dropped the hammer on it to allow break-in but just brought up the rpm's
using the 2 bbl. the engine was professionally built & clearances were checked & re-checked.
at this point i'm ready to pull the covers & intake. the only abberation is some slight tappet
noise but not drastic. is this normal for this cam??? or am i just over cammed ??? help !

Offline Autophile

• Kowalski... and the keys to a sawed-off weekend!
Re: mp 292/509 cam drive qualities
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006 - 10:30:17 PM »
Hi,

I've used that cam, and the characteristics you've described have nothing to do with the camshaft profile. No, the cam is not too big for your setup.

Does the car idle smoothly but get rough only under load? If so, then check to see your have arcing in your plug wires or distributor cap, or maybe a fouled plug. One way to see how much plug wire arcing you have is to run your engine at night with the hood open. If you do this in a really dark area, then it's very easy to see an arcing problem. Put the engine under a load too, it helps.

If it is rough all the time, then it could be a camshaft installation problem.  The valvetrain noise you hear should be like white noise where you can't make out any one specific rocker from the din. If you can hear one specific tappet clicking, you've potentially got a problem.The pulse you describe under load may be from a camshaft lobe wearing out prematurely, which goes along with the valvetrain noise. One way to check is to run the engine with your valve covers loose, and tilt them to watch to see that every pushrod rotates as the engine idles. If a pushrod is not turning, then you've probably got a lifter that isn't spinning (bad news) and a toasted camshaft.

Good luck!
1971 Cuda, black/black, 419 cu. in. 3G Hemi with twin turbos (build in progress), AlterKtion, Wilwood 12.19" disks, billet Rallye wheels

Offline sccarts1

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006 - 10:48:58 PM »
thanks, my instincts directed me to suspect the ignition system  because that's the
way it's behaving. i guess what's throwing me is the fact that everything is brand new.
i even made it a point to  route the 5-7 wires from different directions. i'll give it a shot.

Offline JCWCuda

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006 - 10:52:58 PM »
I was leaning towards maybe a bad lifter that never pumped up

1974 Barracuda 360
2008 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7l Hemi
1990 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l
Gone but not forgotten
1967 Barracuda 273
1976 Charger 318
2003 Dakota Quad Cab 4.7l
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l

Offline sccarts1

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006 - 11:05:13 PM »
i shouldn't be surprised at anything at this point. there hasn't been any part of this project that has gone smoothly.
i guess i'm just disappointed after spending  so much time & $. it's always something.    thanks for your input.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006 - 01:24:33 AM »
not typical for that cam although you will have tuning problems using that cam & a 6 pack & there are better
cams  for your combo

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Follicly Challenged

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006 - 08:29:13 AM »
How come the dual point distributor ?

Offline A383Cuda

• Sal's Muscle Cars
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006 - 08:49:09 AM »
Man I had to go back and re-read that. I thought he was using a 2 barrel carb.  :roflsmiley:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006 - 03:20:16 PM »
OK, I have a cam with that profile on my 440, but it's an auto, with electronic ignition. I have 10:1 compression too, I have no trouble. We have to find out if this is electronically caused, or is it the carbs, or a vacuum leak? I have to ask what was already asked... why the points style ignition system??? Is the reluctor set right under the distributor cap? Since all is new, what plugs and spark plug wires did you go with? I think this is electrical, just a hunch.  :dunno:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline sccarts1

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006 - 08:35:07 PM »
thanks for all the brainstorming. if anyone else has an idea i'd be glad to hear from you. although i've had
lots of experience troubleshooting  problems, i've never had an engine with a cam this radical so your
experiences are invaluable. at least i now know what to expect. my approach is always to check the simplest
things first. measure twice cut once so to speak. baring internal valvetrain damage/failure i'm going to isolate the primary circuit from the wiring harness which although renewed is connected to the original steering column
which has exhibited other problems ie horn & bypass circuit. and get this. run an independent ground lead to the distributor which may just be poorly grounded due to all the freshly painted surfaces. of course i'll check for arcing in the
secondary circuit also. as for the dual point, my original plan was to build to original specs since i like the old school simplicity and furthermore the showroom new 6 pack i had many years ago ran d**n fine with the points setup.
the cam choice was an afterthought in the engine buildup and i figured i would have no problems with valve clearances
if i decided to step down to a lower lift design at a later time. obviously the symptoms i'm experiencing have got me 2nd guessing but hopefully the problem is electrical and i won't have to tear apart a fresh engine. mopar on!
p.s. the wires are mopar restoration resistor type plugs are champ j11y's
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006 - 08:37:49 PM by sccarts1 »

Offline Follicly Challenged

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006 - 08:38:19 AM »
I doubt VERY much it's the current camshaft, I suspect It's electrical, or a "dual" collapse on the coil from the points.

kudakidd

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006 - 07:07:10 AM »
I doubt VERY much it's the current camshaft, I suspect It's electrical, .....
:iagree:
Although this cam is the most radical I'd run on a street driven car, it should not be giving you the problems you describe. Yank the distributor and put in an MP electronic. Check your plugs and wires whilt you're at it.

Offline Rob C

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006 - 06:50:52 PM »
I'm with the kudakidd and a good idea from Follicly Challenged . I would change to the MP distributor and a Chrome box as a min. Plugs and wires check. Then I would look at the fuel dilivery system from tank to carb booster. Fuel filter too.
'73 Cuda, 360, 4psd & 4.10's
'79 Dodge Magnum, 360, 727, 9-1/4 W/3.55's

Offline tx9rt440sixpack

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006 - 06:49:24 PM »
not typical for that cam although you will have tuning problems using that cam & a 6 pack & there are better
cams  for your combo

which cam would you recommend for a streetable 440/6 combo...why?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006 - 11:51:56 PM »
I like the Engle k56 or K58 hyd , smaller duration & more life better driveability & vacuum for powerbrakes Etc & less modification to tune in the 6 pack right , you can also custom grind for better scavenging depending on if headers or exhuast manifolds are used , www.englecams.com
 If you want a solid I have some Evil choices too
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006 - 11:53:50 PM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t