Author Topic: The hemi is in the challenger convertible, finally.  (Read 1984 times)

Offline pink panther

• Resident
Re: The hemi is in the challenger convertible, finally.
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2006 - 06:42:16 PM »
Just amazing my friend. That is enough to make an adult male pee his pants and cry at the same time and not care who might notice. Beautiful, so happy for you, hope you soon get a chance to enjoy the car.  :cheers:

:iagree: Think I just did looking at all that muscle!  Shop was pretty nice too......oops here I go again!
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006 - 09:52:57 PM »
Looking good so far, only done it twice? Hard to tell from the pic but the booster doesn't look like a Hemi booster with the brackets that lift it up and out of the way of the cover. I swapped a 472 into a 70 Challenger last year and it fit great! Only problem was getting parts out of Newcombs!!! That's another story though.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006 - 07:47:41 AM »
Looking good so far, only done it twice? Hard to tell from the pic but the booster doesn't look like a Hemi booster with the brackets that lift it up and out of the way of the cover. I swapped a 472 into a 70 Challenger last year and it fit great! Only problem was getting parts out of Newcombs!!! That's another story though.

The booster in the pic is one that I bought from either Jim's or Jack's on the internet. It is supposed to be the closest one to the hemi version available at a decent price. I wasn't sure if it would clear without the offset bracket so I tried it. No way will it clear. The only company reproducing the offset bracket is dayclona and they're $425. I've seen those boosters that narrow down and clear the hemi valve covers without using the offset bracket. I really though that I was getting that one when I ordered the one that I have now.
I also bought a setup from one of the hotrod companies on the internet that is supposed to be a bolt in deal for e-bodies.  NOT !!!  You have to alter the rod going to the brake pedal since it's about 2 inches too long. It also uses different size brake line fittings than stock. It has the offset bracket and will clear the valve covers easily so I'm going to cut the rod down and tig it and reinforce it so that it will work. I'll just use the other booster and master cylinder on my superbird clone.
As for Newcombs, I've read a lot of stuff about the nightmares of trying to get anything from them so I didn't even try.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline 472 R/T SE

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006 - 11:41:55 AM »
Newcombs, what a joy, I don't know how many deaths a guy can have in his family.  I'm truly sorry if that's the case tho.   I give up after 2 months and got a new set up off ebay.  I don't know if I like it yet or not, worried about my cruise.
I'm in a whole heap of trouble myself.  I had no idea it was gonna cost so much.  One pulley, $269.00 :stomp:

Is this what you have Larry?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopar-426-Hemi-Pwr-Brake-Booster-Relocation-BRACKET-Pkg_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34199QQitemZ4619259249

HELP SUPPORT THE REGISTRIES because all cars matter.

I like to sleep For I'm walking in my dreams.
Live life like every DAY is your last!

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006 - 12:51:30 PM »
This is the style brake setup that I purchased from one of the hotrod shops for $250 plus shipping. The same thing sells for $395 at MP brakes. I will need to alter the rod to connect to my pedal since it's about 2 inches too long. The part that you saw on e-bay would work better and look more correct but it means spending another $400. I think I'll just use the setup that I have for now.
As for costs of the hemi parts...tell me about it. If it has the word hemi in the description...it's going to be expensive.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline 472 R/T SE

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2006 - 05:47:35 PM »
I never seen yours before.  If I could have saved some money I would have.  You got everything for what I paid for a bracket system.
I taking the steering box in to Firm Feel next week, local here.  I better tell them the box is for a /6 car.  :lol:

HELP SUPPORT THE REGISTRIES because all cars matter.

I like to sleep For I'm walking in my dreams.
Live life like every DAY is your last!

daves70

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2006 - 06:03:56 PM »
Fantastic!!! :thumbsup: :grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes:

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2006 - 10:17:59 PM »
That looks great, HotRod98!!!!! :drool:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin