Author Topic: Home Garage Air Compressor  (Read 9965 times)

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
Re: Home Garage Air Compressor
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006 - 05:10:04 AM »
Belt drive units could be used in the garage. They are loud enough that you couldn't hold a normal conversation if you were within 10' of it. I think that the biggest difference in noise is between the direct drive and the belt systems. Among belt systems, I'm not sure that there's a lot of difference in the noise level across brands.

Note that the compressors at Lowe's, HD, and probably Craftsman are all made by C-H. You can get an IR at Sears, too. You definately want a 220 volt unit. More efficient and true power.

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2006 - 09:44:40 AM »
Some of the units you can route the intake outside and reduce the noise level considerably.  I have a 80gal, two stage Ingersol Rand that you can do that with, but the noise level is very barable.

Offline dawgs 73

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2006 - 01:01:23 AM »
I bought a 30 gallon Husky (from Home Depot), belt drive and 110 volt. It is a relabeled Cambell Hausfeld, with the same compressor, tank and everything else (except the price) as the one that sold for 100 bucks more but was labeled as C H. Oh, I forgot, my Husky is red, the C H is blue. I checked all of the numbers against a friends similar sized C H unit and everything was the same. I didn't have room in my garage, nor in my circuit breaker box for 220 volt, and this one does pretty much everything I ask of it. It is actually in my basement, but is piped through the wall and into my garage, with a complete set of guages and a regulator out there for control. I have painted an engine without any problems, though a car size project might cause some difficulty in keeping up. Don't know if that would be too much for mine and frankly, that would never happen here anyway.
I have yet to see an oiless or direct drive compressor that didn't make way too much noise to be anywhere near where you are working. I've had two, both of which wore out very quickly and had to be replaced. And the noise is enough to wake up the dead. My Husky can be heard in the living area of my house, but not so badly that it interferes with normal TV or conversation.
Bottom line is probably to forget an oiless unless all you want to do is air up a tire or two and don't mind really making everyone, including yourself, very miserable over the noise.
My $.02.

Offline Cranker

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2006 - 07:11:35 AM »
I have my intake routed up into the attic which helped alot with noise. If you stand at the opposite end of the shop(50ft) you can easily hold a normal conversation. If you are with in 10 ft you still can just need to talk a little louder but it is not that bad. When working in the shop it doesnt bother me abit with the radio on and all of the tools running. If you buy a high quality machine the noise shouldn't be to bad. I do recommend that you run the intake into another spot or outside. my.02 cents

Crank
72 rally chllenger completly disassembled. Estimated time of restomod 2016!!

Offline JimCuda

• MOPAR > Move Over Plymouth Approaching Rapidly
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007 - 07:08:10 PM »
Anyone paint a whole car with a 26-30 gallon, 115-120v, single stage air compressor?

I would love to have a two stage, 60 gallon model but much like others have stated I don't have any room in my breaker box and the room for a big'ole tank.

Thoughts? Ideas? Links?

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007 - 07:21:11 PM »
Why not just run an extension coed to the dryer outlet? Your wife or girlfriend won't like it when she goes to use the dryer. But oh well!!

Thats what I did. The drawback is I have to go back and forth when I switch over to mig. Thought about getting a dual 220V outlet but there is no such animal that I know of. Neither one is both on at the same time. So it could work if you made one.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007 - 12:35:12 AM »
What's funny is that when I had my current house built in 96, I purposely had them put in a 220 outlet in the garage just for an air compressor. Have I gotten one yet? No, but it does come in quite handy for the MIG. I have to make room to put a compressor in there now.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007 - 01:29:57 PM »
Anyone paint a whole car with a 26-30 gallon, 115-120v, single stage air compressor?

I would love to have a two stage, 60 gallon model but much like others have stated I don't have any room in my breaker box and the room for a big'ole tank.

Thoughts? Ideas? Links?
Depending on the load of your curcuit panel it may be possible that you can put in a 100 amp subpanel that would give you space for a compressor and welder as well as some extra 110v outlets or additional lighting.  It's really not that difficult to do.
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline JimCuda

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007 - 03:26:02 PM »
How much would something like that run and cost to have someone put in?

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007 - 11:04:02 AM »
If your comfortable enough in your electrical skills you can do it forless that $200 in materials, but to pay someone, alot of that would depend on what your local labor rate is, permit fees (if any) and finding a good contractor to do it for you.  Depending on the location of your existing panel, and where you want the sub to be located your probably looking at around 8 to 12 hours labor time. If your main panel is in your garage now you can possibly cut 3 or 4 hours off the job. If the panel is full youll have to relocate 2 curcuits to the sub to give you the space to put in a 100 amp breaker for the sub, so youll need a panel with at least 8 or 10 spaces. A 30 amp breaker for your welder, 2 either 15 or 20 for the curcuits youll need to relocate, and a breaker for your compressor which may be a 30, so that takes 6 spaces already.
 hope this helps you in your decision

see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2007 - 04:15:52 PM »
not sure if ti has been brought up but Do not get an Oiless compresser , get a 2 stage oiled compresser & 220 is definatly better as welll

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline JimCuda

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2007 - 04:40:54 PM »
Yeah, I heard something about oiless being much louder.

I'm looking into having a circuit moved from one side of the panel to the other side. Which would leave the two patch panel spaces needed for the 30amp circuit and 220 needed.

Figure this would be the cheapest route for power.

Now as for the compressor. Anyone know of a good online company to buy a compressor from and oh course a quiet, decent powered air compressor? (enough to paint, grind, etc etc with)

model number and specs would be nice to know.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2007 - 04:45:11 PM »
Jimcuda,

If you only have 100A Service you could get by with a 60A Sub Panel as well.  If the Existing Panel isn't that old(breakers are still available) you could have twin breakers installed.  Have a 220V Receptacle installed below the panel and have a cord made up long enough to reach the compressor.  This would save some cash on the install.  I don't recommend that you do it yourself.  I don't think that someone untrained(may be legal where you are though) should be inside the Main Panel.  I'd hate to see someone get hurt over a few hundred bucks.

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline Travis72

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2007 - 11:48:38 PM »
I bought an Eaton compressor... even if you're not interested in buying one, their website has lots of good info on what to look for in a compressor.

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/504747.htm

I've heard mostly good things about the IR models that Tractor Supply Company sells.  If you have a TSC near you, then you can save a ton in shipping by picking one up:

http://www.mytscstore.com/

Another option is the Bel-aire compressors:

http://www.asedeals.com/air_compressors_copy.html

You can even check out the Husky units at Home Depot.  Just DON'T buy an oil-less one.  I had a 30 gallon craftsman oil-less and it was hideously loud.  After having it run all night while just running a die grinder, my wife said it was time for a new compressor, since she couldn't even watch TV in the house it was so loud.  I primered my engine bay with it, but it ran most of the time which gets the air really hot which causes moisture in the lines.  I wouldn't want to try and paint a car with one, that's for sure.  The 60 gallon Eaton compressor I got actually takes up less floor space than the horizontal 30 gallon Craftsman that I had.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline JimCuda

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2007 - 08:45:55 AM »
Now thats what I'm talking about! That story totally killed the 26 gallon unit I was remotely considering.

Is the Eaton that you have a 220 and/or a dual stage?