Author Topic: Home Garage Air Compressor  (Read 9966 times)

Offline JimCuda

• MOPAR > Move Over Plymouth Approaching Rapidly
Home Garage Air Compressor
« on: March 11, 2006 - 09:07:59 PM »
Ok, I know there are loads of you out there in the same shoes I'm in. You have a two car garage and using air tools to sand, paint and work with some air wrenches, etc.

What brand name and specs is your compressor? Anyone have a suggestion for a budget compressor?

I'm looking around for a new unit and wanted to hear what everyone else is running at their house or shop. The compressor of course would have to be universal enough to do body/paint work, assist in other jobs with air wrenches and again not break the bank.

:working:
jim'cuda

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
Re: Home Garage Air Compressor
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006 - 04:36:36 AM »
I did have a direct-drive Craftsman 25 gallon vertical compressor. It actually worked well for smaller repairs. I even painted a truck cap with it. Of course, extended air ratchet use kept the thing running a bit. I was able to do some minimal sandblasting...very short periods. The problem with direct drive is that they are super loud. I put a shed in the back yard and moved it out back. That worked better. Then, I upgraded to a Husky 80 gallon compressor. I picked it up for about $800 as a refurbed unit. Works great! I do everything with that compressor!

I strongly recommend locating any compressor you get out back. Things work much better that way.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006 - 05:02:25 AM »
I had a small 5 hp 30gallon Sears that I used and abused for years and painted complete cars but did have to wait for it to catch up sometimes.I now have an Sears oilless 60 gallon 6hp that is better but although parts are cheap Ihave had to rebiuld it a number of times as the teflon rings wear out quickly.I agree with Steve that any compressor is loud so either put it out back in a shed or like I`m doing,biuld a small room for it ot keep the niose down.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006 - 06:46:57 AM »
I was really happy wih my 60 gal. 2stage that I picked up several years ago. It was sold under a speedaire name, but is a Campbell Hausfield machine. It handled anything you could throw at it,,,until a wek ago.  I'm trying to figure out why its overloading the primary side and tripping the safety valve.  :swear:      I think a valve plate went bad  :dunno:    and replacment plates and gaskets are about $150.00.   :pullinghair:     I dont want to buy  a new machine, but if I do, it will definately be another 2 stage, belt drive. I've looked at them in Home Depot and Lowes and run about $1100.00. IMO 2 stage belt drive, 60/80 gal is thee way to go. 
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline Hemi Challenger

• Nothing run better then a HEMI
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006 - 07:20:49 AM »
 I have a 100 Gallon Air compressor  2 Stage 220 Volt and when I want air I got it,I bought it at a Garage sale for 75.00 dollar because the Happy Home Onwer didn't know that you have to put Compressor oil in the Compressor, I clean it  up put oil in it, and it run like a clockBut you have to remember that you have to drian the water out of it once a month so it does not freeze in the winter up here in Maine also drain the Water seperator once a week to :thumbsup:

Offline 70challengerrt

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006 - 07:22:47 AM »
I am using a sanborn 60 gallon and it runs every thing from D/A to impacs, to blast cabinet. I love it and I believe I payed about $400.00 with tax. If you want I can post a pic of what it looks like.

Offline JimCuda

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006 - 09:09:31 AM »
Steve - I was looking at the craftsman line up but I thought the same thing, a bit loud. Ne1 know of a quieter one?

torredcuda  - How much did you end up paying for the oilless one?

dougdel - How was the noise levels on that unit?

Hemi Challenger - Nice score, I only wish. But I figure I will buy new for now unless I find a deal like yours.

70challengerrt  - Good price, was that new? Have you painted with it? Is this something you purchased mail order or local?

Offline TKat13

• Work In Progress...
    • Project Cuda
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006 - 09:47:12 AM »
I have been looking around to upgrade mine, here is the one I am leaning towards from tractor supply.
Ingersoll-Rand
7.9 H.P. Peak, 60 Gal. Air Compressor
$499.40
TSC # 3496111
11.3 CFM @ 90 P.S.I. 230 Volt Single-Stage 135 Max. P.S.I.
http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=1&paID=1010&sonID=469&page=1&productID=2495
1974 'Cuda
2005 SRT-10 Ram
2006 Buell Firebolt XB12R (Murdered by person texting & driving)
2004 Mach 1

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006 - 09:48:20 AM »
Try www.factorynew.com (Talk to Tom White)

I got my Champion from them and it is great!  Over 25 CFM!

You can never have to much air.  I needed a big one to run the blast cabinet.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline 70challengerrt

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006 - 10:07:23 AM »
That was new. I painted the car in the picture with it and my buffer is air operated also. my blasters use the most air and it keeps up with them. I bought it from a local store menards. Fleet Farm carries a porter cable for about the same price, and home depot and Lowes carry simular copressors although I don't know about prices. The bad part is it makes noise but I have it on the other side of the wall so I can't hear it in the shop. You could also build a wall or cabinet around it.

Offline JimCuda

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006 - 10:50:03 AM »
I guess I am going to have to pay a visit to some of these places selling and maybe have them crank up the units to hear how loud they are.

Got any ideas on what to look for?

Offline Cranker

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006 - 11:03:31 AM »
I spent alotta time looking for a compressor about a yr ago. Everyone recommended a cast iron unit, 2 stage atleast 60 gallon and one the turned the lowest rpm possible. I Ended up getting a 2 stage, 4 cylinder, 8o gallon Quincy a local dealer that specializes in compressed air systems. They were a customer of mine and made me a deal on it. I got it for $1300 delivered to my work. I love it and am very pleased that I spent the extra money on it over the husky. It keeps up easily with all of the tools that i have used including my blast cabinet. It does 16cfm at 175 psi and well over 20 at 90psi.

Crank

72 rally chllenger completly disassembled. Estimated time of restomod 2016!!

Offline JimCuda

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006 - 11:06:34 AM »
How are the noise levels since you have it right there in your shop?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006 - 11:15:11 AM by JimCuda »

Offline 70challengerrt

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006 - 12:04:15 PM »
Everyone recommended a cast iron unit, 2 stage atleast 60 gallon and one the turned the lowest rpm possible. I Ended up getting a 2 stage :iagree:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006 - 12:22:22 PM »
How are the noise levels since you have it right there in your shop?

What??? I can't hear you.  :lol:  Seriously, I would like to know how loud that would be indoors. Ear plugs optional???

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.