Author Topic: engine removal  (Read 1132 times)

Offline 30below

engine removal
« on: March 15, 2006 - 08:36:13 AM »
About to pull the motor on my 73 Cuda 340,4 speed.Are there any good online websites on this?

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: engine removal
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006 - 10:04:56 AM »
About to pull the motor on my 73 Cuda 340,4 speed.Are there any good online websites on this?

lol  You're on it!!   cuda-challenger.com! 

A couple weeks ago I pulled the engine and 4 speed on 73 cuda and many others have already done the same.  Any questions??  Ask away!!   :cheers:

Offline asm74

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006 - 10:19:54 AM »
I just pulled the 318 out of my 73 challenger.  It was my first time and it took maybe 3 hours total, and it was a lot of fun. 
My first reccomendation would be to make sure you have a lot of space to maneuver the hoist. I have a small 2 car garage, and i couldve used alot more space to move around.  I had to pull the engine from the side of car, not the front, so I had to remove the wheels and fender (they were alreadt off though)

Get the highest capacity hoist you can afford.  Not necessarily to lift the weight, but so that you can extend the boom to get better clearance.  I had to keep lowering the car because my hoist wouldnt go high enough for the oil pan to clear the fender wall. Alternatively, you could try to attach the chain lower on the block.

Use a balancing arm.  This helped me enormously.  Also when mounting the engine to the stand.

Get a spotter or two.  You can probably do it alone, but its so much better to have someone there making sure the engine isnt going to spin on the chain and smack you in the head.

-good luck!
73 Challenger

Offline Robb

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006 - 10:46:30 AM »
there are some posts in the engines section on different methods of doing this. with pics.

FWIW, I was able to R&R the motor and transmission from my Challenger without any helpers. The only help I had was with the hood.   Using the load leveller is a big help and put cardboard and towels any place you think you might bump the body (firewall and rad support)     

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler