Author Topic: 1970 Cuda complete drivetrain,Numbers Matching.  (Read 8863 times)

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
Re: 1970 Cuda complete drivetrain,Numbers Matching.
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2006 - 08:57:02 AM »
Sorry as I am a mopar purist,the owner doesnt deserve to own a mopar when he would get rid of numbers drivetrain without a second thought.But i guess it is his car to do what he wants with it,just would have been better to start with a non numbers car.Once it gone it gone,what a crying shame :banghead: :pullinghair:
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline 71GTX

• It's a fine line between a hobby & mental illness!
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2006 - 10:49:24 AM »
I agree with ya whole heartedly moparnut! Barracudas are a dime a dozen, carving up a numbers matching Cuda is sacreligious in my opinion....when anyone sees the owner of that car, shame them for what they did....I know I would!
Heck, I would have given up one of my barracudas, paid to have the bodywork done and then swap my car for his car. He could have had what he wanted, and so would I....DANG!
69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Cuda 383 4 speed (project) one of the first few off the line at Hamtramck with a 1017XX VIN
70 Cuda convertible 340 4 speed (project)
70 Barracuda (project)
71 GTX 440 4 speed (project)
72 Cuda 340 3 speed (project)
3 Harleys
95 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

Expensive Pee is the end result of Expensive Beer!

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2006 - 12:02:49 PM »
I take it he doesn't understand the money he is throwing away by separating his engine from the body.  Someone needs to tell him to hang on to that engine!!  He's just tossing money down the drain!!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2006 - 01:47:59 PM »
I agree with ya whole heartedly moparnut! Barracudas are a dime a dozen, carving up a numbers matching Cuda is sacreligious in my opinion....when anyone sees the owner of that car, shame them for what they did....I know I would!
Heck, I would have given up one of my barracudas, paid to have the bodywork done and then swap my car for his car. He could have had what he wanted, and so would I....DANG!
Ditto with one addition,even a barracuda these days are not a dime a dozen,look at mustangs,now thats a dime o dozen car.I would have the same opinon on a numbers 318,340,383 barracuda as well as a cuda.Cuda's are awesome but lets remember they are just dressed up version of the barracuda,they are both VERY desirable these days and most wouldnt care if it was a Cuda or barracuda as long as they have one,I know I dont.Personally I would rather have a 70-71 barracuda than a 72-74 cuda any day of the week,same with CHallengers,but I'll take what i can get.We cant get too picky anymore since most are gone or out of my price range.I guess the "cuda" thing has never been that important to me,a cuda a barracuda is a barracuda,no matter how you slice it
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline Blown70

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2006 - 05:20:46 PM »
Well I want one of those dime a dozen cars.. Serious.... if they are around.  Heck I will trade My callys for them.

Tom

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2006 - 11:27:54 PM »
Hey twist are E bodies more plentiful in Alaska?Heck I havent seen one in the paper here in 2 years,Seems like you have a few.
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2006 - 08:05:11 AM »
That is just CRAZY! That car has nearly doubled in value since he bought it, and that numbers drive train is big reason why. If I were you I'd keep the drive train and sell it to the next owner of his car (because if he's that clueless he won'y own it long). It will be an invaluable piece to the guy who sets out to undo all the custome work your are performing....Man, hacking up an original 340 Cuda, what a shame! That is just disgusting! :puke:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2006 - 08:28:48 AM »

Good, I hope he loses money...hes a plonker IMO.
Harsh maybe but crap....get a rolling chassis from eBay...he must be a chimp.  :villagers:

Poor, Poor car...it's like taken it's young ones away from her.  :crying: :-[
It's his car fair enough but he's taking something away that can never be again........

AH!!! MAKES ME MAD.  :swear:

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline rellim51

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2006 - 09:47:36 AM »
I guess I need to make the reason we are selling the original drivetrain to this car. There will be NO going back to original when the car is done. The frame and almost perfect floors have been cut out to make way for the new Art Morrison Max-G chassis. The car will be running a twin turbo 6.1L Hemi and Viper rear end. Now do you understand why we are selling the original parts. When we are done it will be of no value to us or the car what so ever. I agree, it is a shame to cut up an original car like this but when you are building a high end car of this caliber you need to start with the best sheet metal you can find. A few years ago we built a 42 buick convertible and there are only 5 of those left in the WORLD. That was a lot harder car to cut up than this cuda, but it turned out pretty nice. You can see for yourself here www.legenshotrod.com

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2006 - 11:38:43 AM »
I agree, it is a shame to cut up an original car like this but when you are building a high end car of this caliber you need to start with the best sheet metal you can find.

I have to disagree with you here. First of all, I am the high bidder on the auction, and if I win, I will store it for "someday" because regardless of how badly you've cut it up, it can and probably will get reversed someday and I will then sell it back to the next owner at my cost. It sounds like a neat project car (like a Matt D. car in fact?) but I'd B*tch slap him if he told me that was his car he was butchering! :rofl: There's no need to start with such a nice example to build that type of car.

It sounds like you are building a race car/custom leaving nothing more than the outer shell in original condition? Your shop requires a clean outer shell to do a high quality job with all of the other custom fab work you do? If so why? Seems like all you needed was a decent roller junk heep without too much quarter panel rust and you'd be good to go? The amount of value damage you are doing by cutting up that original car FAR outwieghs any monitary difference in extra hours the owner would have to compensate you for in terms of repairing a car in lesser condition.

Sorry, I'm passionate about these things, don't take it personally, it's my hobby and it just kills me to see that happen to such a nice example. Man what a pitty.

*Did you save the good metal you cut out of it? I'll buy that as well
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006 - 11:43:37 AM by Harms inc. »

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2006 - 12:33:27 PM »
Well . . . to each their own!  I say  "it's your car and do with it as you please."   But do keep us informed of all the parts you have for sale as many members are in need of quality stuff!  Oh and share some pics too!!   :bigsmile:

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2006 - 01:57:56 PM »
You will not get any sympathy or support here,lol.Its should be a crime,heh.Now that 42 buick,YUK! I would take a sawzall to it just for being a chevy :bigsmile:Then I'd burn it down with a molotov cocktail just to put it out of its misery roflsmiley:,Poor thing should have the hearbeat of mopar under the hood,than you would have a car, :dogpile:
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline MoparMatt383

• Member as of March 2004
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2006 - 02:51:04 PM »
Taking apart that cuda is a real tough bill of goods.  I couldnt even think about parting out my 73 318 3 spd barracuda when I first got it and that car was funky.  All they needed to do was find a shell out west in the desert.  I know they would probably say they couldnt find that, but they are still out there.  Thats just a shame.

Matt
Too many projects and nothing gets done.

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2006 - 02:56:55 PM »
Ya he could have bought a shell for under 5k and would have been money ahead
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline 41husk

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2006 - 06:37:45 AM »
What is the bid at on the drivetrain, I made him an offer before he put it on ebay,  and I can't get ebay so I will not be able to bid.  I sure hope it sells for less than I offered,  that wouldn't be the first stupid thing this guy did.
1969 Dodge Charger Daytona Clone 440/727
1970 Dodge Challenger Convertible 340/727
1977 Dodge D-700 Car Hauler 361/5spd
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 6.1/auto