Author Topic: Torsion Bar removal  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Grancoupe

Torsion Bar removal
« on: March 18, 2006 - 06:08:03 PM »
OK, Iv'e done a search and can't seem to find details about pulling a K-Frame with the torsion bars all at once. Is this possible. Looking to pull the whole unit out from under the car. Don't want to seperate the K-Frame assbly if I don't have to. Any instructions would be great.

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
Re: Torsion Bar removal
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006 - 08:59:43 PM »
The K frame will come out as a complete assembly once you've backed off the torsion bar adjustment bolts and removed the torsion bars. You'll also need to remove the upper control arm bushing bolts and the steering coupler, that's pretty much it other than the four big bolts holding it all in. After you've backed out the torsion adjusting bolts, remove the little spring clips in the end of the torsion bars in the cross member, then using a clamping device, (I used a home made clamp out of 1" copper pipe and vice grips) and tap back the torsion bars from out of the lower control arms, (do not gouge the bars!) You may need to support the steering assy on each side as you do this so the weight hanging on them will not hinder you removing the bars. I suppose if you don't mind messing with the added weight and bulkiness of the torsion bars, they will come out the front of the cross member but it's a real pain in the arse, easier just to pull the torsions in the beginning. Hope you can get it, it's not a bad job.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006 - 09:41:10 PM »
i have never tried to pull the K frame with the T bars in place , it May be possible , the easiest way to remove th eT bars is to pry back the LCA at the same time , it is only 2 more nuts to undo to do it this way

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline TKat13

• Work In Progress...
    • Project Cuda
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006 - 11:35:33 AM »
I just pulled my K-member without removing my T-bars. I simply backed outthe lower control arm tensioner (whatever you call it, also mentioned above) unbolted the steering box and other steering linkage, strapped the steering box so it does not fall on my head. :) and took the nuts off the lower control arm bars that extend to the kmember. Then unbolted it from the frame, the K-member then just slid towards the front of the car and down, took a little wiggling but no real effort. Just popped right out. I took pics of what I left on the car if you need them so maybe better see what I did. Now, just a little note, all my suspension parts will be replaced especially my T-bars so I guess I could have just knocked them out but I was still learning this T-bar stuff. This is my first Mopar tear down so I am in a big learning process.
1974 'Cuda
2005 SRT-10 Ram
2006 Buell Firebolt XB12R (Murdered by person texting & driving)
2004 Mach 1

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006 - 07:22:27 AM »
Thanks guys. Played with alot of parts on the car except the torsion bars and K-Frame. So I gather from the info the bars can slide either direction? Front or back. My main interest if to slide everything out toward the front of the car. Wasn't really planning on pulling apart the torsion bars/K-Frame assbly just for simplicity sake. But it sounds like its gonna be tough. Gonna try it and see. Will give a heads up about what approach I end up taking. Figure if I get bound up pulling it out as a whole can always break it down further as they come out. Thanx to all

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006 - 08:58:45 AM »
If you plan on removing the torison bars at anytime during your rebuild, you might be better off doing it now.  Only reason why I say that is the amount of force required to "break" the bars loose from their homes.  It isn't going to be difficult to remove them if you pull the K-member as an assembly, you would just need to find a way to brace the k-member for t-bar removal.
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006 - 06:39:16 AM »
Have you done this yet? Curious to see how it all worked out.

P6P

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006 - 07:50:59 AM »
Work's been getting me for 7 days a week. Constantly on call on the weekends. The problem is, is that they call! Hope I can sqeeze out some time to takle this thing tonight. I gotta get the thing out so I can smooth the firewall. Fender wells done. Engine bay is going to be a bit custom from stock.

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006 - 07:54:54 AM »
Work's been getting me for 7 days a week. Constantly on call on the weekends. The problem is, is that they call! Hope I can sqeeze out some time to takle this thing tonight. I gotta get the thing out so I can smooth the firewall. Fender wells done. Engine bay is going to be a bit custom from stock.

You too huh? I'm on call 24/7 and it does get crazy sometimes. Hope you get a little time to spend on that car soon!   :cheers:

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006 - 11:03:29 AM »
OK! So a few clips and a sledge hammer worked. I seperated the motor formthe frame to make the frame more manageable. I can't believe how easily it can out. The caps over the ends of the bars leading into the cross frame were still intact and the slots were still full of grease. I guess that is why they came out so easily. Here are a few pics of the progress... Note the motor is hanging in the breeze

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006 - 11:04:31 AM »
kframe didn't post