Rear valance brackets, how many?

Author Topic: Rear valance brackets, how many?  (Read 5661 times)

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
Rear valance brackets, how many?
« on: March 21, 2006 - 04:46:57 AM »
For the dual exhaust valance on a Challenger, how many support bracket are there supposed to be?
Any pics would be great, the shop manual pic isn't detailed enough.
Does anyone repo these, I've never seen 1 on a car, why are they always missing?

Offline scf100

• FAST LANE FOREVER!
Re: Rear valance brackets, how many?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006 - 05:04:34 AM »
Good question Katfish as noticed the other day driving behind my 70 Challenger the rear valance vibrates so I assume I am missing some kind of support brackets.....so I need the answer too...
1970 Challenger R/T convertible 383…. 4-speed…3.91 suregrip

Triple Black

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006 - 06:33:22 AM »
That makes three of us, since I'm having to finish the work of my former body guy, who shall now be known as the defendant.  He put mine on with any bracing or screws across the top and with the side bolts in reverse, he actually dented the panel.

Looks from the tail light openings a 70-71.  I'm guessing that since they're only showing half that it would be mirrored, so two brackets.
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline FY1Challenger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006 - 07:27:26 AM »
In 70 it could be four or six, depending on build date. After '70 they did away with the two small brackets shown in your illustration for one large one in the center and two large ones outboard. If you look for under the bumper reinforce panel there will be some threaded nuts tack welded on the backside of this piece to recieve the bracket screws shown in the diagram. If you see these then you should have the two small brackets shown in your illustration. Apparently this was a PITA for the assembly line guys so the did away with these somtime early in '70 model year. I had a couple fabricated to replace two of mine the got "lost." They are not easy to adjust or even to put in. I know  :useless:, I know.

Offline 340propak

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007 - 08:44:31 AM »
I know this is an old topic but this is the info i've been looking for , i'm trying to fit a repop valance to repop quarter skin but seems like the valance is about 1/2" to 3/4" to long, seems like there should be some sort of filler piece between the bumper and valance or some kind of extra brackets that i don't have , if anyone can point me towards a picture of an installed valance without the bumper installed it would be a big help to me.

thanks
John

Offline Mopar73340

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007 - 09:28:00 AM »
All of the ones I have seen (after 70) have had the one bracket in the center with two screws and the ends bolt below the quarters with two bolts from under the car and one screw below the bumper.
73-Challenger 340 727/GearVendors Auto
73-Challenger 408 Pistol-Grip 5-speed

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007 - 03:43:55 PM »
I got 2 on my 70.

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007 - 05:34:03 PM »
I tried to take a couple of pics but my flash isn't working too good.  Anyway there are 4 brackets across and then the bolt up at the botton of the rear fenders.
Dave or David

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007 - 05:46:31 PM »
There are 3 variations of the rear dual exhaust pan.  The 70 used separate brackets.  The 71 & 72 had a center bracket built.  In 73-74 the pan stayed the same as 71/72 but had a tag extension bracket added to move the tag out so it would line up with the new rear bumper design.  Reproduction pans I have seen are the 71/72 design. Due to the fact it is late here I can't get pics.

I got the pans out and had to change the post. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007 - 07:34:14 AM by Challenger6pak »
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007 - 06:00:34 PM »
I tried to take a couple of pics but my flash isn't working too good.  Anyway there are 4 brackets across and then the bolt up at the botton of the rear fenders.

Your two small brackets look a little different then mine. Arent the little brackets by the shackles for the bumper guards.  :dunno:

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007 - 07:16:43 PM »
Could be , its been a while since I removed them
Dave or David

Offline 340propak

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007 - 08:07:28 PM »
so far this has been a big help, I have the 2 bolt on brackets towards the center of the car but I don't see those 2 outer mounting brackets on my 70 ,(mabye dual exhaust valance had those brackets for stability as opposed to regular turned down exhaust valance) that would allow the panel to be pulled closer to the body without twisting it :dunno:, if anyone has a picture of an installed valance that would be great. attached are pictures of the gap between the bumper and valance if i were to install the part as is, just curious, has anyone installed a repop goodmark valance w/cutouts without modifications?

thanks for everyone's help
John

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007 - 07:54:46 AM »
Here are some pics of valance differences.  I am unsure of what year of valance you have.  From what I can see your valance still needs to be attached at the corners where it meets the rear quarters. I don't have mine attached in the photo, but you can see where the screws go. I fear you may have an alignment problem with the new rear quarters.  If you are using the 71 up valance you will not need the brackets and will need to drill holes in the 70 for the center brace.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007 - 04:43:32 PM by Challenger6pak »
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline rusty dodge

• 74 challenger 440-727-3:55
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007 - 04:30:41 PM »
When you have the car up in the air, that gap between the bumper and vallance will look funny. My body guy and myself struggled with the valance position because this gap makes it look funny. We though it needed to be shifted up higher, but then it wont fit to the quarter correct. We determined that when you put the car back on the ground, it ends up looking correct. Attached pic is with it up in the air.

Offline rusty dodge

• 74 challenger 440-727-3:55
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007 - 04:39:07 PM »
The repop will be a pain to get it to meet up to the bolting positions to the repop quarter. It will never fit in there and be a nice joint, always looks buckled out there. Consider cutting off the flange where it meets to the quarter, and welding it on solid to the quarter. Worked out good for me, and spent alot less time F-ing with it. You can still get at the gas tank, bumper bolts, shackles doing it this way. Those parts are a little harder to get at, but still do-able. If you do it this way, make sure the shackles will come out, otherwise, there isnt much room to hammer on them with the vallence on.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007 - 04:41:17 PM by rusty dodge »