Author Topic: Blinkers are not working.... HELP  (Read 13853 times)

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
Re: Blinkers are not working.... HELP
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2006 - 12:55:39 AM »
Well, I pulled the steering column today in prep to remove the dash.  The first thing I noticed was that most of the wires were "spliced" together and had to be cut to be removed.  Not like the Cuda column I have that has conectors on it.  So I will be replacing the wires conectors while I have it out.  (You can see I labeled them)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2006 - 12:56:48 AM »
Original Cuda column on bottom..... the Challenger is pictured on top.  A major splice job!
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2006 - 12:58:19 AM »
On top of that, the column bolt was stripped all the way off!!!!!!  This car is full of little issues!

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2006 - 07:36:08 AM »
Cody, You can still get a new ignition switch from the auto parts stores. Don't mess with putting a new connector on that old one.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Stacked440

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2006 - 12:12:31 PM »
cody, i feel you man haha, i just got my car back from sandblasting with all kinds of little surprises particularily in the trunk, but as im taking things apart im finding someone in its 35 year life, cobbled the crap out of it somewhere.  I even found a exhaust manifold bolt down inside the front frame, that looks like its been there since it was made :lol: Thats the joy of restoring a car, make it better than new!
-Kyle-
1971 Challenger R/T clone 440/5-spd
1973 Duster - 5.7L Hemi swap project

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2006 - 03:36:20 PM »
Looks like its fixable to me though . . . could be worse!   :cheers: 

Offline FY1 RT SE

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2006 - 03:54:17 PM »
I am going to install type 56 connectors on both the dash and ignition side, never have to worry about arcing those connectors again.

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2006 - 06:07:49 AM »
Cody,

is the blinker/turn signal relay the square looking one that is mounted between the ashtray and the glove box?  Where did you buy yours from? every parts store i go to keeps giving me a flasher relay (round one)not a blinker relay.. unless they are the same.
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2006 - 01:07:07 PM »
Way over on the passenger side, way up under the dash.  follow the wires over is how I found it.  It is round just like the flasher one and I think they can be enterchanged.  Good luck.

Cody,

is the blinker/turn signal relay the square looking one that is mounted between the ashtray and the glove box?  Where did you buy yours from? every parts store i go to keeps giving me a flasher relay (round one)not a blinker relay.. unless they are the same.

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2006 - 06:15:31 AM »
cool.. ill look for it tonight.. thanks
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2006 - 05:58:28 AM »
CODY

Think i found the flasher, its up next to the ashtray on the passenger side. At least thats the one i think it is.

I replaced it and still nothing.

Here is the wierd thing i discovered last night. my hazards only work in the front. not the back. I replaced both bulbs, and still nothing. the brake lights and tail lights work fine.

Here is a question for you, how hard was it to replace the switch in the column? Do i need a steering wheel puller? Also, in the pic from the year one website, it looks like the switch they sell does not have a plug harness on it. Just wire ends. Do i have to splice into my harness or what?

thanks

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2006 - 06:11:43 AM »
Do yourself a favor and plug a new switch into the harness at the bottom to test it BEFORE you pull the column apart. Yours might be good.
If you pull the wheel please use a puller. If you look around, you can get one for 5 bucks.
Rob
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006 - 07:19:55 AM by shelbydogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2006 - 08:59:58 AM »
you are saying, to plug the switch in to the harness before i take the steering wheel apart?  good idea! That way if it is good i can just send it back to year one un installed.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2006 - 10:45:09 AM »
Some places look at the connector for scratches on them or don't take electrical stuff back. So check before you order. You say your brake lights work, your emergency flashers work, but your turn signals only work in the front? Do your rear brake lights go off when the fronts turns are blinking, or stay on?
Rob
Rob

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2006 - 11:23:04 AM »
no.. my emergency flashers only work in the front.. no turn signals at all