Author Topic: Blinkers are not working.... HELP  (Read 13849 times)

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
Blinkers are not working.... HELP
« on: March 22, 2006 - 11:45:50 PM »
I get no responce or noise when I turn on the blinkers.  They don't work at all.  Shouldn't they make a clicking or ticking sound as they are working?  None of the blinkers work at all.  Is there somewhere I should start looking 1st?  Is there a relay somewhere?

Thanks!

Oh ya, it's a 1970 Challenger that they're not working on.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006 - 11:49:09 PM by C O D Y »
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
Re: Blinkers are not working.... HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006 - 11:48:28 PM »
I know everyone likes pictures..... so here is a pic!  :roflsmiley:

Please HELP!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006 - 09:08:00 PM by Rev-It-Up »
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006 - 02:33:50 AM »
I don't have my manual right now, but there is a flasher cannister somewhere under or behind the dash. That would be my first guess. Next I would think the turn signal switch in your steering column.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Hemi Challenger

• Nothing run better then a HEMI
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006 - 05:01:06 AM »
First check the Blubs and then check the Flasher that is hook into the Fuse block it little and round and silver Just relace it I believe it a 807 flasher   Good Luck

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006 - 08:23:25 AM »
You can also replace the blinker with an electronic flasher.  The electronic flashers don't require resistance to work, will flash if a bulb is out or if 100 bulbs are added.  Just something to look into.  They are about twice the price or so of a regular flasher, $9.
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006 - 08:25:36 AM »
I don't have my manual right now, but there is a flasher cannister somewhere under or behind the dash. That would be my first guess. Next I would think the turn signal switch in your steering column.

Mike

Mine is about in the middle of the dash up underneath, pretty easy to get to.  Might check your fuses too.
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006 - 09:11:35 AM »
PEFECT!  Those are the leads I needed and I'll will check them all out.   :thumbsup:

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006 - 11:17:45 PM »
OK, I checked the fuses and they (7 of them) are good.  The flashers come on and all but one bulb is good.  What now?  How do I check the switch in the column and the little silver relays? :working:

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006 - 12:18:24 AM »
Just top off your blinker fluid and you should be fine.....

« Last Edit: March 24, 2006 - 12:21:03 AM by Killer_Mopar »
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006 - 12:34:10 AM »
You're so funny! :roflsmiley:

Just top off your blinker fluid and you should be fine.....

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006 - 12:36:18 AM »
 :iagree: :roflsmiley:
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006 - 08:22:33 AM »
OK, I checked the fuses and they (7 of them) are good.  The flashers come on and all but one bulb is good.  What now?  How do I check the switch in the column and the little silver relays? :working:

The flashers come on, is that your emergency flashers?  What happens when you just have the left turn on and the right turn on?  Do they light up but not blink, do they not do anything?  I would still lean towards a bad flasher, specially of they were just working before.
You also might want to clean the connections the bulbs sit in and make sure the contacts are contacting correctly.  If one bulb is out normally that side wouldn't flash.
Also, if you have a multimeter, get a reading at the flasher, if you are reading voltage, then it would be safe to say that your turn signal lever switch is working properly.
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2006 - 10:02:14 AM »
YEs the emergency flashers work (all but the front drivers side... the bulb is out).  None of the blinkers work at all.  Nothing works or even makes a noice when I use the blinkers.  The key is on and I have tried them while driving.

I will put a volt meter to them and see if that tells me anything.

I think it's either the switch or a relay / flasher.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

The flashers come on, is that your emergency flashers?  What happens when you just have the left turn on and the right turn on?  Do they light up but not blink, do they not do anything?  I would still lean towards a bad flasher, specially of they were just working before.
You also might want to clean the connections the bulbs sit in and make sure the contacts are contacting correctly.  If one bulb is out normally that side wouldn't flash.
Also, if you have a multimeter, get a reading at the flasher, if you are reading voltage, then it would be safe to say that your turn signal lever switch is working properly.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006 - 08:51:14 PM »
Cody,
If the brake lights come on, it's not your turn signal switch.  When you have your brake lights on, and move your turn signal left, do the left brake lights go off? and vice-versa?     Look under the dash for 2 flashers one is for the emergency flashers (which you say work) and should be easy to hear blinking. It has an L shaped plug on it. Look for another one just like that. It's usually clipped to the side of the ashtray assembly right next to the glove box. It's either missing or bad. Pull the emergency flasher and plug it into the turn signal plug to see if your turn signals light up.
Rob
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006 - 08:39:41 PM by shelbydogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006 - 10:11:24 PM »
OK.... I checked and you were right about the brake lights.  When the brakes lights are on (brake pedal pressed) and I turn the blinker on (the blinker that I truned on) makes the brake light go out.  It only truns the brake light out on the side that the blinker is on.

Also, the flashers work, but only for a few minutes.  If I leave them on it blows a fuse.  I checked the manual and the correct 20amp fuse is the one I'm using.

This car is getting closer to a parts car every minute!  It just caught on fire and I will post more soon.... gotta go! :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006 - 10:44:53 PM by C O D Y »