Help with 383 intake manifold and carb (Chryco?)

Author Topic: Help with 383 intake manifold and carb (Chryco?)  (Read 4147 times)

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
Help with 383 intake manifold and carb (Chryco?)
« on: March 25, 2006 - 09:35:52 PM »
I would like to ask for a little help selecting a good intake and carb set up for my 383.  Here is what I know....

Casting # 383 Block F (1970) 383 (23) HP

Current intake is an EDELBROCK TORKER 383
Current Carb is CARTER AFB COMPETITION SERIES (9755 S 2411)

The engine was rebuilt in 2004 and I have some receipts, but not everything.  I have determined from a PAW (Performance Automotive Warehouse) receipt that the pistons used were part number P291.030.  I traced that part number to be a CAST FLAT TOP (BADGER) PISTON (.030 over).  IT SHOULD BE ABOUT 9½ to 1 COMPRESSION.  The camshaft & lifters were deleted from the "kit" that was ordered from PAW, so either he used the old ones or he got them somewhere else.  The guy who owned the car while this work was being done stated he had the engine built to handle unleaded gas and kinda detuned it so it would be more dependable.

Chryco or anyone else, with the information I have can you tell me what would be a good set up for this engine.  It feels like such a dog and I just want to liven her up.  I would also like to be able to use the stock dual snorkle to keep with the factory look.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
Re: Help with 383 intake manifold and carb (Chryco?)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006 - 10:02:39 AM »
If it helps at all, the car has Hooker headers on it right now.  (Anyone?)

I would like to ask for a little help selecting a good intake and carb set up for my 383.  Here is what I know....

Casting # 383 Block F (1970) 383 (23) HP

Current intake is an EDELBROCK TORKER 383
Current Carb is CARTER AFB COMPETITION SERIES (9755 S 2411)

The engine was rebuilt in 2004 and I have some receipts, but not everything.  I have determined from a PAW (Performance Automotive Warehouse) receipt that the pistons used were part number P291.030.  I traced that part number to be a CAST FLAT TOP (BADGER) PISTON (.030 over).  IT SHOULD BE ABOUT 9½ to 1 COMPRESSION.  The camshaft & lifters were deleted from the "kit" that was ordered from PAW, so either he used the old ones or he got them somewhere else.  The guy who owned the car while this work was being done stated he had the engine built to handle unleaded gas and kinda detuned it so it would be more dependable.

Chryco or anyone else, with the information I have can you tell me what would be a good set up for this engine.  It feels like such a dog and I just want to liven her up.  I would also like to be able to use the stock dual snorkle to keep with the factory look.

The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006 - 01:21:51 PM »
CODY,
   Sorry I'm no help when it comes to Carter carbs.  :-[ The torker intake is a single plane, which means it is more suited for high RPM driving(2500 RPM+). So it depends on how you plan to drive the car. Also, I worry because the Torker sits a little higher than a stock manifold, so it might be tight getting the stock snorkel air cleaner on there. Given the power bulge hood you have though, I would think it would work if you stick with the Torker. It also would help if you knew what cam you had in there, then we would know your power band. Hang in there buddy.  :wave:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006 - 03:55:21 PM »
Sounds like you need a cam and a better carb. My old 383 had a 750 DP on it, along with an older 471 purpeshaft, and it ran very well....wasnt a 12 second car, but it held it's own. Like someone said before, the Torker is higher RPM intake and without knowing your cam info it might be severly mismatched.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006 - 11:56:08 PM »
Thanks Mike and KM for the help.  I wish I knew what cam was in it!  I guess I'll just playing the guessing game.  Maybe Chryco has some thoughts for me when he gets back from MATS. :chatting:

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006 - 01:43:12 AM »
 I had a 383 with 9.5 to ones, I pocket ported the 906 heads,a 484 hemi grind cam, holley Street dominator intake, 700 holley DP, MP electronic ignition and 3.91 posi. It ran very well! I wish I would of tried a 750DP though probably would of had a little more in it.
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline Rob C

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006 - 04:16:08 PM »
The exact comp. ratio should be known along with the cam. Otherwise, yes, you guessing.
What we need to know is what tranny you have. If auto, what stall? Then, what is your gear ratio and tire size?
I'll take the, "I want to liven her up." as your looking for some performance.

The Torker isn't bad, however, if you don't mind spending the money on a new intake, I'd do a RPM and leave the carb alone. You only need these things to improve on the AFB;
1, Rod and jet kit
2, Sprins and possibly shooter clusters. They come only in packs of 3.
3, a second weighted air door. This one is a tricky thing to mess with. The idea here is to see if the carb will react better to a quicker opening door. Drill a hole in it and weigh it. Write down the befor and after weihts for records as well as a the trip to the track for recorded runs. Fair weather not under 68* is fair game for a good tuning session.
'73 Cuda, 360, 4psd & 4.10's
'79 Dodge Magnum, 360, 727, 9-1/4 W/3.55's

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006 - 11:28:33 PM »
You make it sound sooooooo easy. :22yikes:  I was thinking of maybe trying a Holley 750 Double Pumper with the Street Doninator.  Does that seem to be a good choice for a stock cam, stock auto with 3.23 gears and 9½ to 1 compression?

Is the Holley easier to dial in?
Could I still get a stock air cleaner on it under the ralley hood? :working:

The exact comp. ratio should be known along with the cam. Otherwise, yes, you guessing.
What we need to know is what tranny you have. If auto, what stall? Then, what is your gear ratio and tire size?
I'll take the, "I want to liven her up." as your looking for some performance.

The Torker isn't bad, however, if you don't mind spending the money on a new intake, I'd do a RPM and leave the carb alone. You only need these things to improve on the AFB;
1, Rod and jet kit
2, Sprins and possibly shooter clusters. They come only in packs of 3.
3, a second weighted air door. This one is a tricky thing to mess with. The idea here is to see if the carb will react better to a quicker opening door. Drill a hole in it and weigh it. Write down the befor and after weihts for records as well as a the trip to the track for recorded runs. Fair weather not under 68* is fair game for a good tuning session.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006 - 01:06:51 AM »
I would bet the compression is less than 9.5 with badger pistons , it would be good to know for sure
 the best mods would be good fast ramp short duration cam  like a k 54 engle & some port work to the heads , the Torker is a decent intake , I would need more info on rpm range & gearing etc to pick an intake but a dual plane will match the cam but will not gain a lot over the torker , a good holley carb will help a lot though , a 750 HP would be awesome if you can live without a choke 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 71383bee

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006 - 08:40:36 AM »
I would not run a single plain intake with a stock cam IMO and those gears.  Unless you up the ante on the cam, stall, and gears i would stick with the ED Performer or a Weiand Action +. 

I also would bet money on your compression being lower than where you think.  383 replacement pistons are almost always low on compression height.  Do you have a compression test on your motor?  If it around 130-140 then you definately don't have 9:1 compression. 

71 - 383 FC7 Super Bee

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006 - 10:31:07 AM »
I can check the compression on each cylinder and post the numbers.

[quote author=71383bee link=topic=19408.msg194342#msg194342 date=1143726036
I would not run a single plain intake with a stock cam IMO and those gears.  Unless you up the ante on the cam, stall, and gears i would stick with the ED Performer or a Weiand Action +. 

I also would bet money on your compression being lower than where you think.  383 replacement pistons are almost always low on compression height.  Do you have a compression test on your motor?  If it around 130-140 then you definately don't have 9:1 compression. 

[/quote]

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006 - 11:54:04 PM »
Thanks for the call Chryco!  It looks like there is an answer to my problem!

Hope to see you soon! :working:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006 - 12:14:19 AM »
 :thumbsup:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline rallyechall

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006 - 06:33:46 AM »
IMO you have a great setup as it stands. Get a book on Carter carbs, and learn how easy they are to work on and modify. They offer great mileage and very respectable performance.