Author Topic: Rear end too low  (Read 766 times)

Offline oldred

Rear end too low
« on: March 26, 2006 - 11:26:19 AM »
So I just finished the knuckle busting, pain inflicting job of rebuilding the rear suspension with hand tools, not pneumatic tools, on my 275k chassis. Those 30+ year old bolts did not want to move. Anyway, with the new leaf springs in my car, the rear end just isn't as high as I would like it. I've got the front end jacked up a little for header clearance. Any ideas on what I can do to lift the rear end? I don't want to use air shocks. Does anyone make a block kit for an 8 3/4?

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Rear end too low
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006 - 12:03:35 PM »
Besides air-shocks, I can't really say. I bought a set of leaf springs with a 2" above stock height from Espo. That solved my problem, as I was tired of the air-shocks too. I'm sure the last thing you want to do is buy another set of springs though.  :P

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Mopar73340

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006 - 05:43:23 PM »
Like MEK said, the best way is to get the springs arched to the # of inches over stock height you need. I used stock height springs and they sit great.
73-Challenger 340 727/GearVendors Auto
73-Challenger 408 Pistol-Grip 5-speed

Offline zerfetzen

• 'Cuda, should'a, would'a...you lost.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006 - 06:12:36 PM »
I just got finished putting on my new Espo 2" over stock leaf springs today, and wow did that raise the rear!  Now I've got to upgrade my air shocks to adjustable shocks, like Koni.

I'm pretty new to all this, but wondering if adjustable shocks like Koni would work for you?

Also, question: how do you jack up the front end for header clearance?  This I need to know.  Thanks.

Offline inot2old

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006 - 07:47:48 PM »
Also, question: how do you jack up the front end for header clearance?  This I need to know.  Thanks.
[/quote]

You can just adjust the torsion bars, to raise the front end.  Just a matter of turning the adjussting bolts. 
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster