Author Topic: A little more progress  (Read 57598 times)

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
Re: A little more progress
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2006 - 10:00:38 PM »
Need some help, severe tire problem, they smoke and slip when I give it throttle.  :clueless:  Drove her out on her own power and I can sum it up in one word YeHaw!! (is that one or two?) Anyway, now that that's out of my system for a day or so, I better move onto other things, the body, the interior and well, it's a big list.  :grinyes:

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2006 - 07:55:47 AM »
Need some help, severe tire problem, they smoke and slip when I give it throttle.  :clueless:  Drove her out on her own power and I can sum it up in one word YeHaw!! (is that one or two?) Anyway, now that that's out of my system for a day or so, I better move onto other things, the body, the interior and well, it's a big list.  :grinyes:

I wish I could have heard that!  I bet she's sounding great!  Congratulations Glen!!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2006 - 03:03:19 PM »
I suggest you keep trying whatever causes that severe slippage, you must find out what the proplem is. Worse comes to worse, after the interrior and everything else is in order you just may have to put on some serious size rubber (cause them other ones are going to be shot) to at least get that smoke and noise down to a minimum. Got any pics of this delima? We may be able to assist you in finding the cause.  :roflsmiley:  :smilielol:  :smilielol:  :smilielol:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2006 - 03:46:47 PM »
Thanks Rev, wish you could have been there too. After I pulled it back in, my daughter and my daughter in law both said it was awesome and loud, I guess they heard and came out of their houses to see what was going on. Guess I should have had one of them get it on video but I was so wound up to try it out I didn't even think about it. I'll have do it again just so I can video it, good excuse though.  :grinyes:

LMAO Jim, you say keep trying so I can find the problem huh? LOL, I'd get arrested for sure. Better at least get the mufflers on her first, that way it won't be quite as obvious!
The cause? LMAO again, I think I figured it out already, my foot goes down on that funny little pedal on the right, then the engine gets loud and the tires slip spin and smoke. Guess the root cause is my foot.  :thumbsup:

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2006 - 06:40:26 PM »
 :dunno: That's what I was suspecting.............heavy foot on powerful power pedal =  :burnout:  :burnout:  :thumbsup:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2006 - 08:13:49 PM »
Got a little more done, I'm here to tell you if you haven't done this before, this is some hard dirty work getting the old pan out. I ended up cutting out all the areas where it was rusted and leaving some of the original areas that are in good shape.

Before:

During:

After!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015 - 10:45:33 AM by Plum6Pak »

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2006 - 08:41:24 PM »
Looking good Glen!  I remember it very well...dirty job is right!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2006 - 08:24:35 AM »
Ahhhh yes, fun times, at least you had some good sections to save, but it looks like it will be a lot more welding, kinda miss that part of the job, I was a man on a mission, now I don't know what to do next when the fall finally gets here & I have some time for the cars! Rich.

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2006 - 11:24:26 AM »
Hey Rev, need to get you out to Utah and show me how it's done! I'm sure you're just itching to get into the trunk again!  :2thumbs:

Rusty, hope to see your thread start to move again. I sure enjoyed watching yours progress. It's been a real inspiration for me and gave me confidence to try more things after seeing some of the hard things you tackled. That goes for all the do it yourselfers here on the forum. The last post I read of yours was mid June, time to show us some more!  :clapping:

Swedefish

« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2006 - 01:52:04 PM »
Great to see your progress, Glen. And like I said to Rusty, bodywork are quite fun when you have a clean surface to weld on. :2thumbs:

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2006 - 02:47:16 PM »
Great to see your progress, Glen. And like I said to Rusty, bodywork are quite fun when you have a clean surface to weld on. :2thumbs:

:iagree:  The hard part is getting it clean to start with. I'm nothing but a dirty mess from head to toe. Been under the car cleaning the rear frame rails, all the weld surfaces, etc etc etc. I came in the house and my wife said don't touch a thing! Don't sit down, the only place you can touch is the inside of the shower!

I'm fitting up the pan now, could have started welding it in today but I'm out of weldable primer and want it between all the surfaces.

:clueless: Anyone know if there is such a thing as weldable or weld through sealant? Looks like Chrysler used something like that back when this was built but I have no clue what it is. It had some sort of sealant in between all the areas that were spot welded together.  :dunno:

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2006 - 04:29:31 PM »
Not positive about this, but I think the sealer went on after, just the fit was so poor it was forced in after to seal it up???

Crazy season at work for me, usually winds down a bit at the end of august, if I make enough moola for some parts I'll hit it hard in the fall! Rich.

Offline Plum6Pak

• Resident
  • Plum6Pak
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2006 - 06:14:02 AM »
Can't wait to see the updates Rich, it's sure is fun to be doing this at the same time as others to see who's doing what and it helps to share the information too.

I got some more done, doesn't look like much but it's one section I'm very happy to have under way, I wanted to do it while the trunk pan was out for easy access. I am very pleased and surprised it came out as well as it did, a folded crease like that is nasty.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015 - 10:49:35 AM by Plum6Pak »

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2006 - 06:49:12 AM »
Well as an a/c guy I think we can bestoe the honorary "Tin Knocker" title upon you, now weather thats an honor or not I can't tell you! :crazy:
Nice work, amazing what metal can be asked to do if you "persuade" it a little at a time! Rich.

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2006 - 07:14:55 AM »
 :2thumbs: good job on the quarter,thats a 70 road runner correct? another great project in the making.going to be
another sweeet ride on the road.  :clapping:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD