Author Topic: My challenger caught on fire!  (Read 4595 times)

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: My challenger caught on fire!
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006 - 06:39:43 PM »
Cody, What a drag!   I had that same filter catch fire on my race car years ago.  Very bad design.  Don't part it out yet.  Give me your number through a PM and I'll help you fix that short circuit problem. Those E-bodies are very simple and I can give you a couple of tips that'll help you find it once and for all, I promise!
Too long to type, because I still have to look at my fingers to type.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline inot2old

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006 - 06:43:07 PM »
CODY, sorry to hear about your problem, glad you got it out before it spread.  
My new Chally has one of those Edy filters, I guess I need to replace that along with all the other stuff I need.  Maybe I can put it on eBay and a Chevy guy will buy it.  lol
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline Prowler Orange Challenger

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006 - 07:59:55 PM »
Sorry to hear of your problems. Don't give up on the car yet. As for those foam filters my dad had one and it caught fire but, it was put out before it could do any damage to his 72 Charger. As for the other problems welcome to old cars. Be patient and keep working at her. Second off get rid of your amp gauge. Put in a volt meter would another thing. Just my two cents.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006 - 08:02:07 PM by Prowler Orange Challenger »

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006 - 08:35:09 PM »
 Cody is your carb ok? When mine caught fire, it started melting the boosters in my Holley.

ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006 - 08:36:56 PM »
Wow what a drag!!!! Thats lumpy's old one isn't it?! Don't sweat it Spin it with some tranny fliud - just enough to coat the cyl walls! It'll be ok. You may have to rebuild the carb tho...:working: :thumbsup:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006 - 08:44:07 PM »
Great idea.  I went out and put the shop vac to it right away and got alot of it out!  Thanks. :thumbsup:

For the water, I would try a good strong wet and dry vaccuum and suck that nuts out!!  Sorry to hear about your mishap.    :sadwavey:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2006 - 09:03:21 PM »
Thanks for all the support..... I'm starting to feel as if this is more of a support group for my addiction rather than a forum. :cheers:

You guys were right on with the suggestions!  I was able to clear the water out and it fired right up.  I don't have an air cleaner on it, but I'll work on that later.  No drivie for awhile.

Back to the electrical issues.... ROB, I will gladly take you up on your offer to help!  I do need it!

Not trying to be funny, but am I the only one that sees the name Rob and thinks 426 Hemi, 1970 from Hamtramck?  That's got to be the best name for a mopar guy! :clapping:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2006 - 09:38:58 PM »

Not trying to be funny, but am I the only one that sees the name Rob and thinks 426 Hemi, 1970 from Hamtramck?  That's got to be the best name for a mopar guy! :clapping:

I'm always looking for R0B!!
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline Bondavi

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2006 - 10:26:40 PM »

Hopefully Lumpy disclosed all the electrical and leaking problems the car had when you purchased it?

Leaks can be fixed, electrical shorts can be hard to locate. Can you specify which fuses are blowing?
David

'70 Challenger R/T FC7 440-6 4spd N96 3.54 Dana - SOLD

Offline lumpy

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2006 - 10:12:54 AM »
I knew someone would drag me into this.... the car has been siting in my garage all winter, I replaced the blinker relay last fall. As far as the leaking, I did notice the leak around the header, when I was getting it ready for shipment. I figured that it needed a new gasket. As far as other leaks, there were never any puddles under the car and everything was always full. I don't feel like I misrepresented the car in any way.

Cody, It seems like luck is not on your side, as far as the Challenger. But please realize that you are working on a car that is 36 years old, and you should expect minor problems now and then. Although I consider hot wires and carb fires serious issues, I can't take any responsibility for what you are doing to the car. I can just suggest that you find a qualified Chrysler  Mechanic to help you solve your problems.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006 - 12:30:15 PM »
Scott,
I fully understood the risks buying a car that is 36 years old without seeing it.  And I have never called you or emailed you to complain... right?  I do not blame you for any of the issues.  Though I do wish that I was made aware of one issue.  Seat belts, I do feel that seat belts were something I should have been told were missing.  If you did tell me and I forgot, then I'm sorry for bringing it up.  I will take care of it.

As for the "I can't take any responsibility for what you are doing to the car." comment..... I haven't even drove the car ten miles since I've owned it.  Just trying to get the wiring issue worked out right now.  If you have any suggestions, please help me.  However do not feel as if I'm "dragging" you in to this.

Take care and don't feel bad for me.  I've always wanted a 70 Challenger R/T SE and Thats what I have.  For that I thank you.  I'm just looking for some help with MY problems.  It's all good.  Regards  ~Cody :thumbsup:

I knew someone would drag me into this.... the car has been siting in my garage all winter, I replaced the blinker relay last fall. As far as the leaking, I did notice the leak around the header, when I was getting it ready for shipment. I figured that it needed a new gasket. As far as other leaks, there were never any puddles under the car and everything was always full. I don't feel like I misrepresented the car in any way.

Cody, It seems like luck is not on your side, as far as the Challenger. But please realize that you are working on a car that is 36 years old, and you should expect minor problems now and then. Although I consider hot wires and carb fires serious issues, I can't take any responsibility for what you are doing to the car. I can just suggest that you find a qualified Chrysler  Mechanic to help you solve your problems.

Offline lumpy

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006 - 04:40:26 PM »
I know these things can be frustrating. Trust me, I have had bigger problems in the past with other cars. Bondavi made a comment, with good intentions I'm sure. I just don't want people to think that I am some kind of crook or rip off. Most everybody that I have talked to about the car knows that I am an honest person. I am sure that I did not mention the seat belts, hopefully you can find a good set  for sale. As for the other problems, are you having any luck?

Offline c1run1

• OhGreat!
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2006 - 12:30:09 AM »
WOw cody ,
  I'm glad ya saved it and your house .  If it was me i would  rewire the entire car and regasket the engine .This way when your done you know it's right .     :working:

Offline Bondavi

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2006 - 12:41:11 AM »
Bondavi made a comment, with good intentions I'm sure. I just don't want people to think that I am some kind of crook or rip off. Most everybody that I have talked to about the car knows that I am an honest person.

No bad intentions intended at all, just wanted to see if Cody knew of the fact the car needed some work and not a "turn key driver." Like a 36 year old car is a turnkey driver!

Hopefully we all here on the forum can bump heads quick and get Cody all the advice he can use to get the bugs sorted out so he can ENJOY the car! Man...not even getting the chance to drive it for more than 10 miles.....thats TORTURE!  :banghead:

Lumpy, was any rewiring done to the car, or splicing into the existing wiring? I recently worked on my other car with a crappy idle which had JUNK aftermarket fuses/wiring piggybacking on the original....I pulled it all out and cleanly put shrinkable sleeves to cover any exposed areas and redid the connectors. Car has ran perfectly since.

Keep us posted Cody....

David

'70 Challenger R/T FC7 440-6 4spd N96 3.54 Dana - SOLD

Offline lumpy

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2006 - 08:18:52 AM »
Car always ran and drove just fine. I changed carb and gears and drove 1,500 miles rountrip to Columbus and back last summer. I replaced old fuel pump with a carter electric, and everything was fine. I don't think any funny things were done as far as the wiring goes. The carb fire, sounds like a timing problem. Car has electronic ignition, so must be in the timing.