Author Topic: My challenger caught on fire!  (Read 4604 times)

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
My challenger caught on fire!
« on: March 26, 2006 - 10:45:05 PM »
I'm about to put it this car up on blocks and part it out!!!! :stomp: :stomp: :stomp: :stomp:

I had just given up on trying to fix the countless fluid leaks (oil pan, transmission, and radiator + the header bolts!)and just started to focus on the electrical problems (fuses are blowing as fast as I can put them in!) when I went to move the car forward a couple feet in the garage.  I tried to start the car and it back fired in the carburator and I see smoke.  The hood was already open and the smoke was getting worse.  I jumped out and found the carurator up in flames!  My wife went for the fire extinguisher in my truck but the flames were growing to fast and the hood pad was next in line.  I had some water in a bucket and I flicked it on the flames with my fingers.  It did the job of putting it out but at the cost of getting it down the intake!

I'm trying to stay possitive about this car, but there are not many bright spots right now. :pullinghair:

I have not started the car since the fire.  What is the best way to get the water out of the intake without doing any damage?  There is a picture of the aftermath.

Also, if anyone can help with my electrical nightmare, please check the tech page for my post and your time and suggestions are very needed. :sadwavey:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=19298.0
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: My challenger caught on fire!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006 - 10:48:14 PM »

NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT IT BEFORE BUT A OIL SOAKED FOAM FILTER COULD BE READY TO BURN WITH A LITTLE PROVICATION.    :(
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006 - 11:05:55 PM »
For the water, I would try a good strong wet and dry vaccuum and suck that **** out!!  Sorry to hear about your mishap.    :sadwavey:

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006 - 11:11:14 PM »
For the water, I would try a good strong wet and dry vaccuum and suck that nuts out!!  Sorry to hear about your mishap.    :sadwavey:

damn i sure hope you get it sorted out ok. those eddie foam filters are known to cause some issues  :villagers:

good luck  :crying:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006 - 11:15:09 PM »
Ouch!  That doesn't look good at all. :'(  Sorry to hear about all the mishaps you've been having with the car.  Hopefully Chryco has an idea about what's the culprit behind your electical problems.
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006 - 12:30:50 AM »

Man that sucks, sorry to hear about your misfortune CODY.  :crying: :sadwavey:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 74MOPAR

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006 - 01:37:01 AM »
 At the least, pull the spark plugs and crank the engine over a bunch, in an attempt to get some water out.

I'm not at all surprised your air cleaner caught on fire - I had one of those triangular pieces on an early bronco years ago, I thought iit looked cool, until the truck backfired and the foam caught on fire, as yours did.
 I pulled the carb and sprayed it down w/ solvent and let it dry, and vacuumed thru the intake entrance.
 Put mine out with a shirt - [smother] so i didn't have the water issue.
Needless to say, no matter how cool it looked I never used that style of filter again.

Sorry to hear your bad news. :bricks1:
74 'Cuda + 73 Charger Rally + $$ + assembly= Noble M400
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006 - 04:00:21 AM »
Sorry to say this is NOT the first time I've heard about those foamfilters starting to burn. When the carb backfires you're in trouble with those filters. I'm surprised that those filters are still selling, should be removed from the market, and the suppliers and manufactures should take some responsebility and stop making them and stop offering them. Seen it to many times.
Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline Hemi Challenger

• Nothing run better then a HEMI
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006 - 04:28:01 AM »
 Sorry to hear about your Mishap but do you know how much water when in the intake if not much, then I wouldn't worry about in  clean up the mess  and try starting it  if it start let it run for a bit, some time when you blow a head gasket anti-freeze get into the motor and if you do not know it happen you still run it. So after you run it for a bit then take out some spark plug and see if there is water still in it and before you put the plug back in take a little bit of oil and spray that in the spark plug hole (just alittle) then I would turn the engine over Do not try to start it the oil will lube the wall and ring so you will not get any rust built up

Offline KellysCuda aircard

• Its good to be blown
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006 - 06:21:24 AM »
You have to pull the spark plugs man, if you dont , you risk a hydroloc and you could bend or break valves, rods, connecting rods and head gaskets. It only takes a little while to do this and its all you need to do.. And dont give up man, if you like the style of car, it shouldnt be that much of a chore to work on it. Get to know it.   :cheers:

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006 - 07:15:45 AM »
 Sorry to hear about this, throw that d**n air filter away, I burned up two on my 71 Duster back in highschool, those things rate right up there with the glass fuel filters.  :nono:
 I'd pull the spark plugs and turn it over or maybe make a attachment and duct tape it on the end of your shop vac. Something like a turkey baster, but maybe trim the small opening a little bigger, then crank the motor over until the cylinder has both valves closed and suck out the cylinder. You could always tape a small clear hose to the end of the baster and stick it in the sparkplug hole to get farther in the cylinder.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2006 - 08:19:48 PM by EVIL72 »
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006 - 07:36:33 AM »
That's a bummer experience for sure, thankfully you got the flames out as soon as you did. I would think as someone has already said, pull the plugs and and crak it over a few times, the chamber combustion should blow the residue of water out, at the same time (careful here/no smoking) pour a little gas down the carb and when the gas starts to come out the plug holes you should be realitavly sure most of the moisture is gone. Ever get bad gas from the local station that had water  seeped in from a rusty underground tank? She may run rough and do some bad missing but it should work it's self out. Good luck and keep us posted.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006 - 07:40:41 AM »
yer next purchase
http://www.mopar.com/m_perf_subcat2Check.jsp?SubSubSubGrpID=350&dummy8=1143468575815

Muscle > Fuel Systems > Air Intake Systems > Replacement Air Cleaners    

Chrome Air Cleaner is available with or without a breather tube. Black Wrinkle Air Cleaner is only available with breather tube. Packages come with a base plate, filter element, base-to-carb gasket, air cleaner stud and chrome-plated wing nut.  

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Robb

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006 - 10:53:09 AM »

fix the countless fluid leaks (oil pan, transmission, and radiator + the header bolts!)and just started to focus on the electrical problems (fuses are blowing as fast as I can put them in!) when I went to move the car forward a couple feet in the garage.  I tried to start the car and it back fired in the carburator and I see smoke. 

If this hobby was easy, everyone would have them.   ;)

and this is why people admire others who own/drive these old beauties, because either the owners can shell out the spare cash to keep them going and looking nice, or they have the time and skills to do it themselves.  Its not easy, and theres always something.  From what I have seen of the car you bought you got a real nice car that has a lot going for it, and these things are pretty minor in the grand scheme of what a lot of folks endure, just on this board alone.  (aside from the foam aircleaner on fire)

Welcome to the joys of owning and maintaining OLD CARS   :cooldancing:

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline rallyechall

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006 - 11:41:29 AM »
Here is what I would do...

1. Remove coil wire ( Eliminate any chance os igniting fumes in cyls.)
2. Remove spark plugs
3. Crank motor to push out any gas
4. Let stand dor about 1/2 hour
5. Make sure there is no fumes in garage
6. Spray a little WD40 in cylinders for lubrication ( it is also a better starting fluid than ether)
7. Clean and regap spark plugs
7. Reinstall spark plugs
8. Re-attach coil wire
9. Crank it