Author Topic: Anyone ever used a Holley 670 Street Avenger?  (Read 4568 times)

Offline Whitehatspecial

Anyone ever used a Holley 670 Street Avenger?
« on: March 28, 2006 - 06:25:58 PM »
Thinking of using a 670 Holley Street Avenger on top of an Air Gap Edelbrock for the 340 I am building. Also have a Comp Cams Extreme .477/.480, J heads with 2.02 valves. Has anyone used this carb?

Offline BB73Challenger

• 2 cars - twice the wrenching... yay?
Re: Anyone ever used a Holley 670 Street Avenger?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006 - 06:55:50 PM »
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that's the carb my brother just put on his small block last summer. That's the one that claims " no tuning ready to run out of the box ", right?

If so, it worked realy well on my brothers car, would have to recomomend it, especialy if you are not familiar with tuning a carb.

Not a ton of help,but I hope it helps.
Jeff from Cleveland, Ohio

Offline 71383bee

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006 - 08:45:53 AM »
Spend the money on a 650 Mighty demon instead.  You won't be disapointed.  The Street avengers typically come real lean out of the box and the no tuning BS is just that...BS. 

In this business i have learned the hard way that even if it came from mopar there is no such thing as "bolt on". 
71 - 383 FC7 Super Bee

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006 - 03:11:31 PM »
Spend the money on a 650 Mighty demon instead.  You won't be disapointed.  The Street avengers typically come real lean out of the box and the no tuning BS is just that...BS. 

In this business i have learned the hard way that even if it came from mopar there is no such thing as "bolt on". 

I'll agree about the "no bolt-on" thing. The funny thing is, I tried to put a 770 Avenger on my Challenger. It ran rich. BIG time. I have to say though, that is one AWESOME looking carb.  :worshippy  Basically my problem, as I see it, is my cam is just too big for any vacuum secondary carbs. There is always a bog if I nail it. I had to go back to the double-pumper. I guess my point is, the problem wasn't my carb., but how my engine is set-up. BUT, yes, there may be some tuning to be done.  :grinyes:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 71383bee

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006 - 05:36:46 PM »
There always is. 

Most of the time I have found that when you try to find something that is a bolt on and requires little adjustment it is due to inexperience rather than need.  I include myself in this field.  I had a SA carb because of the bolt on appeal and it is a decent carb, but i tossed it in favor of the MD and I should have just bought the MD first.

Just like anything it's natural to be aprehensive about working on something that is unfamiliar, but you end up gaining so much more when you just plow in and work on it.  After awile it becomes second nature.

I used to hate wiring issues or timing, but now it doesn't scare me that much.  Just like for some folks a spun bearing or engine mishap can be seen more of as an oportunity rather than a misfortune.
71 - 383 FC7 Super Bee

Offline Whitehatspecial

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006 - 07:17:18 PM »
I'm not afraid of tuning a carb, cripe I've done it lots of times back in the old days (780 dual feed, etc,). I had heard that the Avenger was a good carb and wasn't attracted to it because of the "no tuning" issue. I'm not too familiar with the new brands and models of carbs.
So I guess from what I've gathered so far that most people (that know how to work on their carb) don't buy Street Avengers. True?

Offline bentpshrods

• Almost there, Boise Id.
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006 - 08:10:23 PM »
I just put a 770 street avenger with an edelbrock rpm air gap manifold on my 340. It is running a little rich and I have'nt had a chance to really tweak it yet--winter shut me down--but I like it.I have a little stumble on a hard start but I have to much cam(292dur-509lift) for a vac secondary carb.  With a different cam  I think this will be a good setup.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006 - 08:29:25 PM »
It wasn't on a Mopar, but my buddy put one of them Holley's on his Mustang, and it ran horrible, three of us fought with it for hours. Finally he said forget it, returned it and got an Edelbrock instead. Demon carbs are the way to go these days, they are just absolutely awesome. Up here in Redding, there is a guy who does carbs, and he is big into Mopars, and can take the new Barry Grant Demon 3 x 2's setup and install them on Mopar 6 pack manifolds.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006 - 11:59:10 PM »
no one is 100% so yes there can be bad ones but generally they are a great carb , personally I prefer the double pump carbs

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Whitehatspecial

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006 - 05:59:08 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I called to the Barry Grant tech-line and they suggested a 650 Street Demon with vacuum secondaries. The rep was helpful on the phone and went through the tuning process with me. It sounds as though this is a very good company to deal with and certainly they've got their ducks in a row.
Any one know of a good retailer who's price may be the least expensive?

Offline 71383bee

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006 - 07:37:40 PM »
Get one setup from Don at FBO.

www.4secondsflat.com 

The best customer service you'll ever get!   :worshippy
71 - 383 FC7 Super Bee

Offline Rob C

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006 - 10:47:32 PM »
I second that one. Don is very very good at these carbs and a really nice fella that'll help you with the chores.
'73 Cuda, 360, 4psd & 4.10's
'79 Dodge Magnum, 360, 727, 9-1/4 W/3.55's