Author Topic: Another quarter skin going on  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
Another quarter skin going on
« on: March 29, 2006 - 04:08:32 PM »
OK...for those that missed this the last time, here's another quarter skin going on. The process is fairly simple...just time consuming. You too can do this at home!

Oldschool

Re: Another quarter skin going on
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006 - 05:14:08 PM »
Lookin' good!    :ylsuper:  You'll be   :burnout:  in no time....   

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006 - 05:49:36 PM »
 :worshippy :worshippy :worshippy YOU can do this at Home  :worshippy :worshippy  :thumbsup:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006 - 06:54:52 PM »
Hey Steve, can you explain what appears to be blue tape?  What is it and what's the purpose?  Sorry if it's a dumb question.

Offline FY1443433

• 1971 Superbee, 1970 Challenger R/T
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006 - 06:56:48 PM »
 :cooldancing:
Can I send my Challenger down to you please!!!!  :cheers:

FY1443433

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006 - 07:33:54 PM »
I believe the blue tape (3M painters tape it looks like) is being used as a guide to the cut off wheel.  A bit of explanation on the process would be in order.  It looks like steve laid the replacement panel over the repair area.  Masked off a "cut line" and used a bunch of screws to hold it in place.  Then he sliced through the 2 panels to create the gap for welding.  There;s a bit more to it and perhaps Steve can fill us in.
Are you spot welding the wheel lip to the wheel house?  Do you use any weld through primer on the panel at all? That does look like a lot of work but you can take pride in knowing you did it yourself.
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006 - 08:05:26 PM »
MyMopar is very close!

Note that I had cut the quarters off a year so ago. See the first pic to see what I was working with.
We first lined up the skin on the car. They actually fit like a glove. Very little work to make them line up very nicely. We used welding clamps to hold the panel in place and laid down the tape to serve as a guide for placing screws and then as a cut line. Note that only an inch or so of the original metal remained. The goal is to screw the skin onto car so that the cut line is a 1/2" or so below the top body line. We drilled pilot holes for the screws and screwed the panels together along top, front, and rear seams. We did this starting at the center and moving out. Next, remove one or two screws from the center and cut through both panels with a .035" cutoff wheel along the tape line. Remember, when you cut through both panels, you are going to have a strip of scrap on the INSIDE of the quarter. I used a cutoff wheel to bisect that first section of scrap so I could pull the scrap out from the inside as I went along. I used the butt weld clamps to keep things lined and the two panels flush. You should make sure to clean your metal along the weld line. I used a wire wheel for this as I went along. I did use weld through primer in the wheel well area. Speaking of which, I use welding clamps to hold the quarter skin to the wheel well lip and drilled 3/8" holes in the skin ONLY and then plug weld the skin to the wheel well. NOTE that I did a LOT of prep work on that wheel well lip, welding up the holes from where I drilled out the original spot welds.

The real art is along the door edge and the tail panel edge. These areas were rough on my car, so I had to do some hammer and dolly work as I went along and I still had some gaps to weld up.

Seriously, you can do this at home! I had never welded before this project! Of course, I did get a lot of practice when I did my floor pans and trunk pans! The quarter skins have been the easiest of the rust repair thus far...by a long shot!

By the way, for those that don't remember, the 2nd and 3rd pics show you the PITA sail panel repair! That required some hand-made pieces!

Offline camjam

• Rare-it-T
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006 - 10:11:04 PM »
Wow a true artiste. You make it sound soooo simple and look very easy.
71 Challenger R/T 383 4spd - 1 of 10 known to have been built for canada - restored
70 Charger R/T SE 440 auto - restored

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006 - 10:27:28 PM »
Steve, you do amazing work. This should be in the Classics to keep around.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006 - 05:32:07 AM »
Thanks Guys!

I think I have enough pics to do a tutorial on the metal fabrication stuff. It's amazing what metal will do if you hit it with the right hammer! Seriously, by hitting metal just right, you can stretch gentle bends into it. It's the poor man's English Wheel.

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006 - 06:45:20 AM »
Wow - excellent work.. wish I was that talented..

Gonn look like new soon.
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline MyMopar

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006 - 08:51:50 AM »
Steve is right that most of us could do this at home. You just need the right tools (at least most of the right tools) and time and patience.  Posts like this help inspire us all, whether it be body work or just putting on new shocks.  Keep up the good work, looks like you've come quite a way.  :ylsuper:
1969 (OO===]|[===OO)
1973 (OO/=====\OO) <---SOLD
1997 (O|||||O) <---SOLD

Smoke tires, not drugs!

Offline Gonzocuda

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006 - 08:52:42 AM »
So whats tuition at the Steves Quarter Install Institute? How long of a waiting list is there before a person can get there car into your program?

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006 - 10:20:45 AM »
Let's see....a 6-pack of beer and a plane ticket to wherever you are at. I'm happy to help anyone. If you're local, bring your ride by the garage! Of course, some of you may remember the neighborhood narc that called code enforcement on me, so all work has to be covert!

Offline Gonzocuda

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006 - 11:12:42 AM »
A 6 pack of Natural Light and a plane ticket..........you mind riding in the baggage compartment?
Where did you get the brackets that held the sheetmetal straight(I forgot what you called them)? I have the Clamps, but Ive never seen the other doohickies. ah, there it is Butt weld clamps. Funny.