Author Topic: POR-15  (Read 2463 times)

Offline 70GranCoupe

• I am not a llama, I am a man!
POR-15
« on: March 30, 2006 - 05:40:42 PM »
The POR-15 product line states that you have to use their solvent to thin the Tie-Coat primer that is the only primer you can apply after the POR-15 rust coat is applied. Is this correct or just a gimmick to sell their own stuff??

Also, what about their metal claeaning stuff?

I have been using First Clean by Dupont and Laquer Thinner.

Thanks!

Offline FY1 RT SE

Re: POR-15
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006 - 02:00:19 PM »
Why would you want to use POR15?  Totally over rated and expensive product that causes more problems than it is worth.  A friend of mine put it on the underside of his 'vert FOLLOWING their instructions to the letter.  Check out the pictures below, he ended up having the car blasted and then epoxy primered.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006 - 02:02:17 PM by FY1 RT SE »

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006 - 05:32:33 AM »
well, the POR sales guy at fall carlisle told me that you and use any primer over 15 if you spray it on while the por is still tacky.  havent tried it yet, im not that far along on my 74 :dunno:
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline rusty dodge

• 74 challenger 440-727-3:55
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006 - 09:08:56 AM »
Are those pics after the metal ready was applied , or after the por-15 was spray'ed on?

If they are after the por was spay'ed, then what color por15 was used?

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006 - 09:28:02 AM »
I just finished using Por-15 on my trunk and floor pans.  Used silver (because of high solids content) in the trunk and on the low portions of the floor pans and gloss black throughout the interior.  I ground out the rust. Cleaned with Kleen Strip - Prep All degreaser, used Por's Metal Prep, then applied two coats of Por-15.  Worked great except.......Black doesn't like silver.  The black puckered over the silver at every high spot as if it had grease on it.  Silver topping silver and black over black worked fine.  The result is that it's not very pretty in the floorboards but it's still sealed well.  Dynamat will cover it anyway.

I used Krylon primer over it in the trunk and applied Dupla Color's splatter spray for the trunk.  Looks great and it's rock hard.
Here's before, with Por-15 and after pics.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006 - 10:00:09 PM by Rev-It-Up »
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006 - 11:44:51 AM »
The end result looks awesome!!   :drool:   :drool:   :drool:

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006 - 08:19:49 PM »
Looks like he used clear, I used it on a few parts(was tired of black all over me, I'm a slob! ) but never saw anything like that, got half a inner fender left over outside in clear, will check it this spring & see how it has weathered, I like the stuff, but did have a few problems now & then!
used it on the outter well & drop offs, clear first & after welding a coat of black, so far no sticking problems, been about 2 years since I put them on. Rich.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006 - 08:21:41 PM by RUSTY Cuda »

Offline 70GranCoupe

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006 - 10:07:28 AM »
Thanks for the input!
I still am a little apprehensive about using the POR-15, I don't want to be doing this twice and I am a novice at best. I was figuring on using the black POR-15, I have already have on stuff that I could not get all the rust completely out of, pitted areas and creases stuff like that or areas where I really wanted the metal protected like frame rails and some of the pitted stuff on the cowl and such. Wanted to use it as an extra precaution. I don't wanna buy their entire product line and the guy at the autobody supply place warned me about mixing product brands, but I also don't want to leave the metal exposed. I am doing a little at a time and using rattle cans cause I don't know how to spray (my buddy is gonna teach me), so I don;t know exactly when all the metal fab and stuff will be in place to spray on the DP40.

That said I wanted to use the POR-15 on some bumper brackets I got already blasted off eBay to encapsulate the rust until I get to scuffing them and hitting them with the DP-40 and then a good coat of paint.
What do you think of that???

I'm confused figured this was the best think since sliced bread like they state but now not sure.

Ordered some of Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator, and Metal Wash (to preserve the bare metal) supposed to be better as per Auto Restorer's guide on their site. Metal Wash recommendation from Paintucation video I bought.

What's everyone think???

Offline rusty dodge

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006 - 11:27:49 AM »
For the underside of my car, I used black over silver and had no problems. I sprayed on 2 coats of silver 1st then used 2 coats of black, that way you can see with the black that you are getting good coverage.

For your brackets, why do you want to cover with dp40 then paint? Do you need them some other color than black? For my brackets I just did 1 coat of por15 black, brushed on.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006 - 11:16:52 PM »
Painted Por-15
For the underside of my car, I used black over silver and had no problems. I sprayed on 2 coats of silver 1st then used 2 coats of black, that way you can see with the black that you are getting good coverage.

For your brackets, why do you want to cover with dp40 then paint? Do you need them some other color than black? For my brackets I just did 1 coat of por15 black, brushed on.

I just got a quart of Metal Ready, quart of Marine Clean, and a Gallon of POR15 on Friday from the POR store on Ebay.  I read the instructions and they said if the POR15 isn't top coated the light will break it down. If you painted the brackets and that other guy just painted the underside of his car and didn't top coat with another paint, You'll probably end up with rust like those pictures above. I've never seen such pictures as those above in a restored car with POR15 if the user followed the instructions.
Anybody else hear any horror stories about POR15?
Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline rusty dodge

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006 - 11:41:29 AM »
The underside and the brackets are not in direct sunlight, thats why i didnt top coat.
Even still, without a top coat, the sunlight WILL NOT CAUSE IT TO RUST. Ive put it on stuff that was in sunlight without a top coat, and what happens is the Black por15 will DULL and look flat black. The silver por15 will turn a dull yellowish gray. They DONT loose their protection.

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006 - 01:11:21 PM »
We used por-15 on all our resto projects we really like it but different people look at it different ways.
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)

Offline 70GranCoupe

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006 - 05:50:14 AM »
Hi Everyone and thanks for the input! Check out this link:
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=852&itemType=CATEGORY&iMainCat=688&iSubCat=852

I have decided to go the rest of the way with the Eastwood products you don't need special POR-15 everything to use it. My plan was to use this on the rusty areas I cannot get totally clean and the pitted areas, then DP-40, prime and then paint. Good point on the brackets but like someone else said I would need to paint them because the POR-15 turns a funky color (or so they say), the Eastwood products are UV resistant so you don't have to worry about that.
Let me know what you think!