Author Topic: Who restored your gauges? Are you happy with the results?  (Read 8045 times)

Offline dwbiggs

Re: Who restored your gauges? Are you happy with the results?
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2006 - 12:02:31 PM »
Allgreen,

How did you hook up clock?  Ive read instructions from a kit on another website that you have to put all hands on 12.  Is this true?  Did you get any instructions from Autoinstruments on any of the gauges?

Dan

1974 Challenger Rallye - 440+.040, 0 decked, 10.5:1, Ross Pistons, Hughes 3844 cam (238/244, .536/.540), Eddy RPM manifold, Eddy aluminum heads, Holley 750, TTI headers, .96" T-bars, IAS shocks, 1 1/8" front sway bar, 3/4" rear sway bar, XHD 6 leaf springs, Firm Feel stage 2 steering box.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2006 - 03:11:08 PM »
Dan,

This is a guess here, but they might want you to start the clock with all hands at the 12 O'clock position just for keeping them in proper alignment. You don't want the hour hand in limbo between 2 numbers, for instance.

As for your Amp gauge, if you can run the car, then it is working. It is probably just rubbing up against something, so it can't move. Is the needle pushed in a little or something?

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline AllGreen70RT

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2006 - 08:39:03 PM »
Allgreen,

How did you hook up clock?  Ive read instructions from a kit on another website that you have to put all hands on 12.  Is this true?  Did you get any instructions from Autoinstruments on any of the gauges?

Dan
There were no instructions from Auto Instruments. I didn't do anything special with the clock, just hooked it up. I have not set the time yet.

Thanks Mike
I'll check the needle.

Bob

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2006 - 05:41:02 AM »
Ive read instructions from a kit on another website that you have to put all hands on 12.  Is this true?

I assume they are putting the quartz kit with the smooth second hand sweep when they overhaul these units? In that case their orientation should be fine as long as they were positioned on the shafts correctly (usually all aligned to 12:00)

I installed mine myself and never had any issues.
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline AllGreen70RT

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2006 - 08:42:47 PM »
Sent my fuel gauge and ampmeter back to Auto Instruments yesterday. The needle on the fuel gauge did not line-up with the markings. If the needle is vertical (half a tank) it didn't line up with the half tank mark, it was on the 3/8 mark. The ampmeter was not working. The needle is contacting the face of the gauge. I was told they will take care of the problem right away and have them back out to me in a couple of days. Hope so. I just want let folks know, even if your restored gauges look great, inspect them closely before reinstalling them. Its a pain in the as* to have to pull them back out again.  :swear:

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2006 - 09:47:59 AM »
Do any of these places offer immediate shipment of replacement gages? I have a '72 style tach core, I'd like to have a 70 style modern replacement, but the car cant sit for weeks..Days are more likely...Any thoughts?

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2006 - 03:25:34 PM »
Do any of these places offer immediate shipment of replacement gages? I have a '72 style tach core, I'd like to have a 70 style modern replacement, but the car cant sit for weeks..Days are more likely...Any thoughts?

I think you are stuck. You send them your stuff, and they get to them when they can(they don't send you already finished gauges). It might take a month in busy times, but later in the year when people aren't driving their cars, they get to them in a week or two. Sorry I can't help with your problem. You can remove the tach and still drive the car, but I can understand this being undesireable. I can tell you I have a nice looking non-working 8K tach that I could sell you, and you could send that out for repair. Send me a PM if you are interested in pics, and I'll pull it out for you.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2006 - 05:23:49 AM »
Thanks for the offer Mike, I tested the tach last night after going over my wiring and replacing some missing insualting washers and hardware....You have to have power to the MSD tach adaptor before it will generate a signal for the tach to read  :banghead:.  The tach works fine now...  :woohoo:

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2006 - 09:16:36 PM »
So why do some of these restored tachs come back with RED sections on the higher numbers? All I have ever seen was yellow and orange from the factory.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0