Author Topic: Rubber Fuel Line Question  (Read 1362 times)

Offline woody9512

• 71 Billboard Cuda, Pistol Grip 4-speed.
Rubber Fuel Line Question
« on: April 06, 2006 - 10:14:50 AM »
I have a dumb question.
I just got my Thermoquad rebuilt for my 71 340 and am going to put it back on with a new Mopar fuel filter that I bought ( Clear White Plastic One) the filter there now is an older metal type. I was going to replace the hose also to freshen up the look. I see that you can buy 3 different sizes of rubber fuel hose ( 3/8 5/16 or 1/4)...My question is how would you know what size to use?? Will it matter as to flow etc with engine size and carb type??
Thanks  "Tim"

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Rubber Fuel Line Question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006 - 12:11:46 PM »
most Mopars used 5/16 lines & hose the only exceptions were the 440 6 Pack  & Hemi but many cars are upgraded to 3/8 lines in 30+ years since they were originally assembled , you need to match the size of the lines in the car 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline woody9512

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006 - 01:01:05 PM »
I think that I've figured out what I am going to do..........use steel line right from the carb to the fuel pump with the filter spliced in.....that way I can just get rid of all that hose and use tubing instead.....should make it look a bit neater as well.
"Tim"

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006 - 01:43:19 PM »
that is the best way to do it  :thumbsup:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006 - 03:27:51 PM »
Woody,
  If you do it that way, then that's great. A wise man told me once that the only thing rubber does is deteriorate. With engine heat and all, rubber can get stiff after just a couple of years. Of course I have rubber, but I'm always doing my pre-flight checks before I put it in gear.  :grinyes:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline woody9512

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006 - 06:15:31 PM »
As usual thanks for the replies!!!

"Woody"

Offline Hemi Challenger

• Nothing run better then a HEMI
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006 - 04:58:26 AM »
I have a dumb question.
I just got my Thermoquad rebuilt for my 71 340 and am going to put it back on with a new Mopar fuel filter that I bought ( Clear White Plastic One) the filter there now is an older metal type. I was going to replace the hose also to freshen up the look. I see that you can buy 3 different sizes of rubber fuel hose ( 3/8 5/16 or 1/4)...My question is how would you know what size to use?? Will it matter as to flow etc with engine size and carb type??
Thanks  "Tim"

I would get rid of the Plastic filter it may melt, and like someone here  had a engine fire and it melted that filter I would stay with the metal one if you can