Author Topic: Is partial carb rebuild possible?  (Read 1347 times)

Offline 73cuda340

Is partial carb rebuild possible?
« on: April 10, 2006 - 09:11:15 AM »
I have a 73 Cuda, mostly stock.  The carbs accelerator pump needs rebuilt.  I am wondering if a complete carb rebuild is needed or can just the accel. pump be rebuilt.  Im sure its just a dried out diaphram that is the culprit.  Symptoms are severe bogging off the line.  Timing, plugs, wires etc are all good.

A complete rebuild was quoted at $200-$225.  Im pretty good mechanically but have never had one of these Thermo-Quads apart. 

Thanks for any input!

P.S. Who is the owner of this site?  I ask because I couldnt remember my password and the email address for my old account was from my old place of employment.
User name was Thunderbyte

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Is partial carb rebuild possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006 - 09:33:18 AM »
If you are reasonably sure it's the accelerator pump, then you can get those cheap.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006 - 09:37:29 AM »
with a TQ you still may have to buy a kit to fix the problem

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006 - 09:45:12 AM »

P.S. Who is the owner of this site?  I ask because I couldnt remember my password and the email address for my old account was from my old place of employment.
User name was Thunderbyte

I've sent you a private message (in your 73cuda340) account with your new password for your Thunderbyte account.  Let me know if you have any problems.

Rev
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006 - 10:18:42 AM »
T/Q is easy to rebuild. a kit from Advance Auto parts cost me $22.or so dollars. To replace the pump you must remove the top which means a new gasket there anyway. I have rebuilt or help rebuild about 6 of these w/no problem. Not including removal,cleaning & reinstall takes maybe half an hour. ck this link for tips :smokin:

http://www.thermoquads.com/page204.html
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Oldschool

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006 - 10:51:06 AM »
Just beware the dreaded black "O" rings in the black phenolic housing.  The link should clearly identify where these 2 "O" rings are located.  Other than that, they are pretty straightforward rebuilds........   Oldschool

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006 - 11:44:56 AM »
Also two screws down front venturi/choke to be removed. Don't remove throttle plates or shafts unless you have a problem there. Retighten all screws after heat cycle, they will be loose
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Robb

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006 - 05:17:22 PM »
T/Q is easy to rebuild. a kit from Advance Auto parts cost me $22.or so dollars. To replace the pump you must remove the top which means a new gasket there anyway. I have rebuilt or help rebuild about 6 of these w/no problem. Not including removal,cleaning & reinstall takes maybe half an hour. ck this link for tips :smokin:

http://www.thermoquads.com/page204.html

:iagree:    DIY

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline thunderbyte

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006 - 09:18:55 PM »
I originally posted this as 73Cuda340, but since my original user name is now fixed, I am using it again, Thunderbyte.

Ok, its a done deal.  I am doing the rebuild myself.  I will just do some good research and see what reference material I can find.  I talked to a carb guy and he agreed to bail me out if I think I am getting in too deep.  For a fee of course!

Im actually looking forward to it.  I love wrenching and this should be fun.  Hopefully I can tune it ok.  If not, again, I have the carb guys number.

I think I can handle it considering that I have in one day on one truck completely replaced a chassis, replaced all suspension components, installed a super charger, and painted the body.  By the end of the day the truck was running top speed and pulling wheelies in my parking lot.   Of course this is on a 1/10 scale RC powered nitro truck that I customized for a customer.   :crazy: (I own and operate a hobby shop)

Thanks for the input!