Author Topic: Steps on removing an 833 4-speed tranny?  (Read 4614 times)

Offline johnhuckin

• 73 'Cuda
    • John Huckin's 73 Cuda
Steps on removing an 833 4-speed tranny?
« on: April 14, 2006 - 02:54:11 PM »
Please describe all the steps needed to remove an 833 tranny.  I have already removed the driveshaft and shifter linkages.  I am replacing the clutch.  Thanks. :thumbsup:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Steps on removing an 833 4-speed tranny?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006 - 03:33:26 PM »
I undo the shifter first from underneath, but leave the alum mount plate in place , if you have a spare slip yolk drop the driveshaft & slide in the slip yolk to stop the oil leaking out , jack up the tranny & undo the 2 mount bolts & the 4 bolts to drop the crossmember & remove the crossmember , undo the inspection cover & remove it ,undo the 4 bolts holding the tranny onto the bel use a 10" extension & reach over the top of the tranny to remove the upper left bolt & remove it first if possible ,drop the trans dowm & unbolt the clutch , when installing the clutch tighten each of the 6 bolts a little at a time to prevent distrotinmg the pressure palte [it is a pain in the arse but ...needs to be done ]

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006 - 01:43:52 AM »
First take off the rubber cover in the driver's side fender behind the tire, If yours is missing, you'll see a big hole there used to get to your upper A-frame rear bolt. If your Z-bar has all the stock pieces in it, first take off the big nut on the driver's side wheel well, behind the front tire, holding the Z-bar's outside ball mount. You might have to hold the inside with an open end wrench. Unhook the clips holding the clutch and pedal push rods and remove them. If you have a funny looking wire thing around the left end of the Z-bar, leave it on because it will hold your grease seal and plastic bearings in the hole along with the ball.   Next, swing the outside of the z-bar with the ball up and out working it towards the big hole, That will unhook the inside of the z-bar and your are going to catch the inside plastic bearings when they fall out. While that is out, now pull that funny clip and inspect the seals and plastic bearings for wear. Whole kits (seals and bearings) are for sale on Ebay if needed. Some also drill a hole and install a grease fitting in the middle of the z-bar and inject it with grease, That's too much grease by the exhaust!  I recommend putting some wheel bearing grease on the plastic bearings on the ends and putting a little in the middle. If you have good seals on the end, you shouldn't have to worry about them going dry.  I think Chryco has everything else above.
 I bought a pivoting transmission jack at Harbor Freight for $35 2 years ago and it really helps pulling and installing that trans.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline johnhuckin

• 73 'Cuda
    • John Huckin's 73 Cuda
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006 - 09:33:15 AM »
Chryco Psycho and Shelbydogg,  thanks for the pointers!  I'll let you know how I made out. :thumbsup:

Also, Chryco Psycho you have stated many times that diaphram style clutches are NG.  I've been looking at a Spec stage 2+ which uses this but now am thinking of a McLeod B&B/L 10.95" street clutch.  What's your take on Spec?  Thanks, again.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006 - 09:43:27 AM by johnhuckin »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006 - 11:31:27 AM »
not familiar with Spec , I have used the centerforce & had them invert & had the pedal stay on the floor on higher RPM shifts though ......better have a rev limiter  :banghead:

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006 - 03:29:58 PM »
Chryco, those CenterForce diaphram style plate with the weights on the fingers are supposed to correct the "over-center-inertia" problem. Was yours one of these that stuck to the floor.  I wouldn't buy a diaphram clutch without those little blocks on the fingers.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline matt63

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006 - 10:53:06 PM »
I'm a little off topic here but I priced out a Long style clutch and it was $750 Cdn!  I went with the Centerforce dual friction.  I hope I don't regret it.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006 - 03:32:21 AM »
Chryco, those CenterForce diaphram style plate with the weights on the fingers are supposed to correct the "over-center-inertia" problem. Was yours one of these that stuck to the floor.  I wouldn't buy a diaphram clutch without those little blocks on the fingers.
Yup that was exactly the style , C Force with the centrifugal weights on it , stuck on the floor very nicely , Any Cf Or diapragm style clutch will never be in my rides

Offline johnhuckin

• 73 'Cuda
    • John Huckin's 73 Cuda
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006 - 06:29:34 PM »
Chryco Psycho,  what McLeod clutch do you use?  Is it street or perf?  How streetable is the perf discs?   ???  Thanks. 

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006 - 11:58:21 PM »
depends on the application , you can get different pressures & B&B & B&B?Long style pressure plate , I use both , I can get part # if needed but I have to dig for them

Offline johnhuckin

• 73 'Cuda
    • John Huckin's 73 Cuda
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006 - 03:26:53 PM »
If you could get a p/n that would be great.  I'm trying to find out if their perf discs are OK on the street.  Thanks.

Offline sccarts1

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006 - 08:28:00 PM »
big ..real big  MUSCLES !!!!!!!!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006 - 12:50:49 AM »
there are a lot of choices
Borg & Beck style in street & race versions & the Borg & Beck/ long style with lighter pedal pressure but higher clamping loads that I use a lot
 I would call Red at McLeod for the best fit for your application

Offline johnhuckin

• 73 'Cuda
    • John Huckin's 73 Cuda
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006 - 08:16:10 AM »
I just wanted to say thanks, again, for all the pointers on removing the tranny!  :thumbsup:  Everything came out nicely.  One more quick question...  Will a 10.95" clutch/PP fit on the flywheel (130 tooth) I was using with the 10.5" clutch/PP?    :dunno:

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006 - 08:24:42 AM »
YES.
Rob