Traction Bars: Pros and Cons

Author Topic: Traction Bars: Pros and Cons  (Read 5294 times)

Offline zerfetzen

• 'Cuda, should'a, would'a...you lost.
Traction Bars: Pros and Cons
« on: April 18, 2006 - 09:45:08 AM »
Hi all,
I just got a car with traction bars, which I know nothing about.  He said they are "pre loaded".  What does that mean?  He said they are there to stop wheel hop, because this car is set up to run.

They look cheap to me, but what do I know?  it looks like they bolt on to the front of the leaf spring, as well as the axle housing.

I don't know if this is good or bad.  Leave 'em, ditch' em, use something else? What would you do?

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
Re: Traction Bars: Pros and Cons
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006 - 09:54:37 AM »
I took my traction bars off, first thing I did when I bought the car. I'd go with a good pinion snubber.

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006 - 09:56:24 AM »
What in the world is a pinion snubber?

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006 - 10:01:06 AM »
A pinion snubber is a rubber mount (can get adjustable ones) that bolts to the front top of your rear differential case. There should be a pad on the top to bolt it on. It basically bumps up against your floor to prevent the rear end from twisting, as far as I know it was mopars solution to wheel hop etc.. instead of the traction bars.

Someone else can elaborate more before I make myself look too stupid here, I never actually used one.   :bigsmile:

Here is an adjustable one, the original style is a flat mount I think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopar-8-3-4-Pinion-Snubber_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34208QQitemZ4632043240QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

They're cheap too.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006 - 10:04:45 AM by 1BADFISH »

Dave
Charlottetown, PE

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006 - 10:39:23 AM »
I used traction bars on my first 440 car on the '80 and they worked very well.  I now have a pinion snubber installed and it's beating the hell out of my center hump area. They should have reinforced that area a little more back there.
Zerf, the bars are good if they are the type that replaces the spring perch and they work BUT these days they look cheesy and hit things ,such a railroad tracks.  Put a new hemi-type spring under there with a pinion snubber and you should be just like the rest of us. If you need more traction use CALTRAC BARS, but they hit things too.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006 - 10:51:24 AM by shelbydogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006 - 10:50:26 AM »
Yeah you're right about beating the floors up, my traction bars seem to work well also, but it was the look that made me take them off.   :grinno:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006 - 10:55:31 AM »
Would super stock ESPO leaf springs do the trick, and a pinion snubber?  By the way, what does pre-loaded mean?

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006 - 01:33:47 PM »
Preloaded Traction bars means that he might have put wedges under leaf springs to get the traction bar Bumper up against the front shackle mount. Is the bumper up tight against the leaf spring?    Another meaning could have been tightening that little front u-bolt in the front half of the traction bar, that keeps the bar from hitting the ground during aggressive acceleration in reverse.
Proper adjustment of that little u-bolt was to have it a little bit "above" the top of the first leaf. Usaually the front bumper had 1/4" to 1/2' away from the front of the spring, so it would only HIT while gassing it. Usually you do not want that bumper to touch while sitting still, even if it meant cutting the top of it off with a hacksaw.
If you get the longer EPSO springs you may need the longer pinion snubber.  My friend has a dana and an adjustable snubber, but his snubber is too tall and needs severe shortening. My stock snubber is so short that my driveshaft hits the bottom of the tunnel.
Rob
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006 - 01:37:10 PM by shelbydogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006 - 02:39:13 PM »
I only took a casual look at it, but it looks like the bar is mounted flush against the bottom of the front half of the leafsprings and axle, and seems like it'd be impossible to reach the ground, even under load.  But this particular car is really new to me.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to remove the traction bars, replace the leaf springs and shocks, and tinker with a pinion snubber.  Thanks for the tips.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006 - 03:43:47 PM »
Here is a pic of my pinion snubber that I installed today!  I liked this one because of the way it adjusts.  Can't wait to try it out!   :burnout:

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006 - 04:29:12 PM »
Thanks for those pics 4cruzin!  Where did you order that?  I want that one :)

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006 - 04:59:37 PM »
 :iagree:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006 - 05:24:34 PM »
Thanks for those pics 4cruzin!  Where did you order that?  I want that one :)

I got mine at Just Suspensions . . . might find it cheaper somewhere else though?? 

http://www.justsuspension.com/moparupgrades.htm

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006 - 06:13:27 PM »
That's the one on my friends convertible. If your not careful, the screwed in part comes loose and gets lost on the highway. If your car sits with a stock stance, it's too tall.
Rob
Rob

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006 - 06:28:48 PM »
What is a good snubber to buy?

Dave
Charlottetown, PE