Author Topic: Carb to Hood Clearance  (Read 4167 times)

Offline zerfetzen

• 'Cuda, should'a, would'a...you lost.
Carb to Hood Clearance
« on: April 19, 2006 - 10:23:10 AM »
I have a 440 with a Victor intake and a Holley 750dp.  I'm not sure how much clearance I have, but I thought a few months ago I saw a contraption that fits atop the carburetor, takes up minimal space like an inch or 2, and runs a tube down to wherever you'd like to mount your air filter.  For my life, I can't find one.  Has anyone else done that, know what they're called, or have a link to one?

I really don't want to change my intake or cut up a perfectly good hood if I don't have to.  Thanks.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Carb to Hood Clearance
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006 - 01:32:55 AM »
most of the air filter companies liek airaid & K&N have snorkles but even those stane a few inches tall to not restrict air flow

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006 - 04:52:49 PM »
Does anybody know any place that does custom air induction?  I've talked to K&N, AFE, Holley, Summit, and done a couple hours of web searches, and can't come up with anything.  I know I've seen custom set ups before.

K&N has the following snorkel, but say they are only for 200 CID and smaller.

Any ideas?

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006 - 10:32:31 PM »
Zerf, I can't see anything like that being good for horsepower. all of the racing air cleaners use a rounded shape to get the air to flow into the carburetor smoothly. The ones that do work are the forced induction ones that no longer use vacuum.  Look for Paxton Superchargers website and see if that's what you're looking for.
I you want a regular 14"x3' tall aircleaner but don't have the hood clearance, try a MOROSO low profile air cleaner. The base actually drops down around the holley for extra space.
Rob
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006 - 10:34:50 PM by shelbydogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006 - 09:01:58 AM »
As long as the carb-intake-cam setup is a good one, it looks like the only option is a different hood, which is too bad.  I don't think the drop-base air filters will work because the Holley 750dp has fuel bowls (or whatever they're called) on each side, level with the flange, which I'm guessing would prevent it from dropping (hopefully I'm wrong).  Even if I'm wrong, wouldn't it interfere with the linkages?

By the way, K&N had some formulas to calculate the minimum size air filter, and recommend going with a larger diameter and smaller height, instead of smaller diameter and larger height.  For an unbored 440 with the highest horsepower at 5500 or 6500 rpm's and a 14" diameter filter, the minimum recommended height is 3.4" or 3.9", respectively.

I'm guessing I should go with a K&N 14" diameter x 4" tall filter, and find a hood that'll work, hopefully the 440 6-pack hood.  My only hesitation there is I put a fiberglass hood with a scoop and 4 pins on my other Cuda, and it lifted violently at highway speeds, so I'm not sure fiberglass is the way to go, but metal hoods seem impossible to find.  Any ideas are greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006 - 10:48:54 AM »
I have a drop-down K&N air filter assembly on my Holley double pumper. I didn't have any interference problems with the linkage, or anything else. Mine is only 3 inches tall, but it solved my clearance problem.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006 - 12:51:24 PM »
Really MEKrunner?  :droolingbounce:

What are the specs on it?  Do you have a part #?  How high does it go above the flange?  Any pics?  Thanks!

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006 - 12:52:40 PM »
Here's what I have...

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006 - 01:47:53 PM »
Here's what I have...

Could you please measure how tall your intake is . . I'm curious as I'm in the same situation and would like to see how different your intake is compared to mine??  Thanks! 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006 - 01:50:01 PM by 4cruzin »

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006 - 01:51:30 PM »
Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooowww that looks nice  :eek2:

The Victor intake is 6 1/4" tall.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006 - 01:56:40 PM »
Zerf. Get the low profile racing air cleaner from Summit or Jegs and trial fit it. If it doesn't fit they'll take it back. It does fit around the bowls and linkage.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006 - 02:19:50 PM »
Let me know what you figure out . . . mine is 7" tall but I can shave about 3/4" off if necessary.  I still think I'm gonna need a new hood also . . .  :walkaway:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006 - 03:08:04 PM »
OK guys,
  I pulled my car out into the rain to take some pics. I don't think I have good news for you.  :dunno:

First off, I have a K&N assembly, part number KNN-66-3040 in the Summit catalog. The assembly is 2.75 inches tall, with a 1.25 inch drop. I measured my intake heigth from the valley pan, to wear the carb. sits. I got 5.5 inches. This setup leaves me with a good inch of clearance. Now we are talking about a Challenger flat hood here, but a flat hood, is a flat hood, right? As I said earlier, this assembly in no way interfered with the Holley, or the linkage.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006 - 05:34:27 PM »
Nice pics Mike, I see the potential for another A/C car there.    Zerf has a Rallye hood in his pic, so he could get away with that same base and his 4" or taller air cleaner. I had the same type Manifold (Edelbrock performer), and air cleaner base as yours and a 2" carb spacer under a 750 double pumper, with a big air cleaner.   (I had to use a T/A hood though to make it fit.) I wanted it in the scoop.
Rob

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006 - 06:16:19 PM »
Nice pics Mike, I see the potential for another A/C car there.    Zerf has a Rallye hood in his pic, so he could get away with that same base and his 4" or taller air cleaner. I had the same type Manifold (Edelbrock performer), and air cleaner base as yours and a 2" carb spacer under a 750 double pumper, with a big air cleaner.   (I had to use a T/A hood though to make it fit.) I wanted it in the scoop.

Wow Rob,
   You had tons of room there. I have a fiberglass hood scoop mounted to a flat hood, but whoever did the job, didn't make the hole big enough for the whole air-cleaner to fit into. So basically the scoop is funtional, but doesn't buy me any clearance.  :banghead:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD