Author Topic: Carb to Hood Clearance  (Read 4163 times)

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: Carb to Hood Clearance
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2006 - 06:19:51 PM »
Isn't that your black car with a T/A looking hood? Or is it the purple one?  I though the black one was yours too.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline zerfetzen

• 'Cuda, should'a, would'a...you lost.
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2006 - 09:37:14 PM »
Thanks for the pics, I appreciate them.

It's been a few hours now, but mine's over 10" from valley pan to carb flange, so I'm pretty sure it won't work.  The only option left is through the hood.  Flat metal used hoods seem impossible to find, and I've done fiberglass before, so it comes down to cutting up this Cuda hood or changing the intake.  That's a tough choice, but I'm going to have to call cutting up the Cuda hood.

My friend and I have been out at the car pouring over it for the last couple hours or so, and cutting it up will weaken it.  My friend measured that the motor twists about 1/2" at the carburetor flange at idle, and less when I get on it.  We're thinking the least damage we could do would be to cut a small, maybe 7" diameter hole for a hood scoop like the link below.  That would have to be better than cutting a 15" diameter hole to accommodate a 14" filter.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DG3109&N=4294925239+4294839057+4294887855+115&autoview=sku

What do you think?  Is this the least damage route if I want to stay with this intake and a metal hood?  Thanks.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2006 - 09:44:53 PM »
zerf, don't you have the rallye hood? I hate cutting holes into good hoods. The flat ones could be make into shakers.
Your intake must be really tall what Make and model is it?
Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2006 - 09:49:38 PM »
Edelbrock Victor EDL-2954

6 1/4" tall my friend.   :banghead:  Then a narrow adaptor plate for the square bore Holley.  4cruizin's in the same boat with a 7" Indy.   :dunno:

Offline zerfetzen

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2006 - 09:53:14 PM »
4cruizin', since we're in the same boat and judging by your motor and moderator status, you probably know more than I here, how are you planning on handling it?  By the way, is that motor going in 4cruizin' or 4showin', and what's in the other car?  Dying to know.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2006 - 05:12:36 AM »
Isn't that your black car with a T/A looking hood? Or is it the purple one?  I though the black one was yours too.

Rob,
  I can understand the confusion. They are one in the same car. It just looks different in different lighting. In the dark, it almost looks brown. Check out this link in the member's ride's section. It will explain more. You can click on each picture to get a better look at it.( Sorry for the Hi-jack).

Mike

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/memberimages/mekrunner/mekrunner_mr.php

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2006 - 07:54:29 AM »
Thanks for setting me straight Mike. I thought that you had built a black T/A- look-a-like. Nice pictures in that section; I'll have to put one in for myself sometime. Heck, by the time I put myself into the NEWBIE INTROS, I'll be a senior member.

Zerf, if you're going to cut that hood, do it right and use one of HARMS T/A style metal scoops. It'll add value to your hood. Like I said before, I had an intake and air cleaner base like MKRUNNERs, a 2" spacer plate, Holley carb and it all fit inside the T/A scoop's hole.  Their Scoop is pricey, so if you don't mind working fiberglass till it's really smooth, I think that you can get a replica T/A hood for around $500. for use with light springs and not the lift-off type.  I bought a repro from McCandless in the '80 and run hood springs and the safety latch with mine. People with a T/A hood know what happens when you drive without pinning your hood down, I DO TOO.
I also reinforced the braces underneath to incorporate 2 oak broom handles inside the supports so heat doesn't "change" it's shape.  (A head-on would probably kill me, no crumple zones here)

Rob
Rob

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2006 - 09:43:01 AM »
4cruizin', since we're in the same boat and judging by your motor and moderator status, you probably know more than I here, how are you planning on handling it?  By the way, is that motor going in 4cruizin' or 4showin', and what's in the other car?  Dying to know.

Well I'm still alittle in the dark as to how I'm gonna handle it.  I have a line on a flat hood that I'm checking on . . also looking for fibreglass hood hinges as I'm considering a fibreglass hood.  I guess I'm gonna get it in 4cruizin (hard top) and see what kind of clearance I'm gonna need!  If an AAR hood will give me the needed room, I may go that route . . or something like this pic!

4showin is a 1970 convertible with a slightly modified 1970 440.  Not original to the car but at least its the correct date code for 1970!  This motor is for the hardtop that I have tore to pieces right now!   :icon16:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006 - 09:46:17 AM by 4cruzin »

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2006 - 10:41:59 PM »
Well I may have come up with a solution to my problem.  I called INDI today and talked to them regarding my problem and was told that the INDI 440-2D intake manifold would also work for my application and it's only 5 1/4 inches tall compared to 7" one I was working with.  I think this will work with my stock hood!   :bananasmi  :bananasmi  :bananasmi   Order it tomorrow!   :thumbsup:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2006 - 12:17:03 AM »
the 6 pack hood grabs a ton of air & pulls Very hard on the hood seal it to the carb & you gain a couple of tenths in the 1/4 just from the pressure created !!

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t