Author Topic: Got a New Job!!!!!!  (Read 2206 times)

Offline EVIL72

Got a New Job!!!!!!
« on: April 19, 2006 - 11:35:55 PM »
 I passed the written tests last month to try to become an electrician, then I had to go do an oral interview then wait to see if I was picked.
 I heard it was a very big class that passed the written this time, about 200-300 people and they only needed about 30 people.  :faint:
 Today I got the letter that said I got excepted into the electrical apprenticeship program.
  :woohoo: :swaying: :jumping: :crazy: :hyper: :woo: :bananasmi :cooldancing:
 After 24 years in Retail, and being 40 years old I really wanted and needed to make a change, not only for my own piece of mind, but to help support my family better, it's not cheap to live in California.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2006 - 05:39:02 AM by EVIL72 »
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
Re: Got a New Job!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006 - 11:57:37 PM »
Two pensions are better than one !
Considered PG&E? I have a good friend there....
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006 - 07:49:41 AM »
Congratulations Evil!!  :clapping: :clapping: 
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006 - 07:56:23 AM »
As a veteran of the retail world I made a change several years ago and the best move I ever made.

Congrats Evil. :bananasmi :cheers:
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline TheCrazyCheesehead

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006 - 07:58:13 AM »
Hey boss,

How hard was the test, I am considering doing this also. I am looking for all the info i can get before i like jump the gun and go head first into this. It is ether this or i am going to go work for harley davidson.

Later
Bryan The Crazy Cheesehead
'69 340-S Fastback Barracuda

Offline Cannibal94

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006 - 08:41:07 AM »
You can have my Journeyman's license....I don't need it anymore.  And also my Fire Alarm Inspectors and Installers licenses are up for sale too.  :bigsmile:

Congrats on the new job!!

Offline 68 A

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006 - 09:00:01 AM »
congratulations! i know the feeling as I accepted a job offer about a month ago and will start in about 2 and a half weeks
'68 Barracuda in long term restoration
'70 Dart Swinger for crusin
'88 Mastercraft Prostar 190
'01 Dakota daily driver

Offline ohio cuda

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006 - 06:23:14 PM »
Can we call you sparky yet? Way to go. Learning a trade is very smart in this economy. I always encourage young people to follow a dream but make it one you can make a life out of. You will do well because you want it!

Offline mikey1

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006 - 06:37:03 PM »
congrats Evil.
I think you made a very wise career choice.  :clapping:
Also hoping you make mucho :money:
Mikey1
Schist happens to Gneiss people

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006 - 09:40:05 AM »
Attaway EVIL  :smokin:

Russ
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006 - 09:42:54 AM »

Well done Rob, I'm happy for ya mate! Make sure the hours aren't too long, tell them on day one, that theres one condition, you have to be at home, online from AT-LEAST 3pm so you can log into cuda-challenger.com LOL!

I'm sure that will go down well...... :roflsmiley:

:cheers:

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006 - 02:18:11 AM »
 Thanks everyone this is a HUGE load off my shoulders!! If I didn't find a better paying job ASAP I was in danger of losing my house in about 3 years. Chevyconvert I did look into PG&E a few years ago and even filled out an application and right before I turned it in, they layed off a ton of people! So I was like ok might be the wrong time for this job LOL

I go to my orientation this Friday then I'll find out more info. I do know I'll get a list of about $500.00 worth of tools I'll need  :woo: I finally get some new tools LOL

Hey boss,

How hard was the test, I am considering doing this also. I am looking for all the info i can get before i like jump the gun and go head first into this. It is ether this or i am going to go work for harley davidson.

Later
I don't know about other states, but in California the IBEW only does applications every Monday in January(except the holiday) from 1pm-3pm You fill out everything right there. Go to your local IBEW and get the paper that tells you all about the program and what you need to bring with you.
 I'll be working m-f from 7am-3pm then I'll go to school two nights a week, from 5:30pm to about 8:30 for 5 years. I'll get a 5% raise every 6 months until the 5th year then it's a 10% raise.

The Minimum Requirements are:
1. 18 years of age or older with proof
2. High School graduate
3.Have completed one full year (2 semesters) of algebra in High School or one semester of algebra in College or Adult School with a passing grade of "C" or better.
4.Must pass a pre-employment Drug/alcohol test

As for the test, it's a written three part aptitude test, all multiple choice, but you get scratch paper for the math.
Areas tested are math numerical ability/mechanical reasoning/spatial relations.
 They have a tutor class that goes over it so you get the idea of what you need to work on, then you take the test about 4-5 days later.
 The hardest part is it's a timed test so you only get about 20-30 seconds max for each problem, so really know the stuff inside and out. The total 3 part test took about 2.5 hours
 1.The math problems for the test might look hard but are actually very easy if you know what to look for, which is alot of cancellations and reducing. They will give you great tips in the tutor class so go to it.
 2.For the Mechanical Reasoning you could go to a good book store for some ideas and practice problems. It's alot of pulleys, gears, fan/boat prop direction, type stuff also some leverage, gravity, pressure and weight problems.
3. For Spatial Relations once again you'll find examples at a book store. It's basically a picture of a unfolded pattern with parts shaded and other parts left white. then there are 4 folded up patterns and you have to decide which one it is by folding it up in your mind. The trick is to put your finger over the ones you know are not it for sure, then you just focus on the others, just remember they sometimes flip the box upside down trying to throw you off.
 All in all I didn't find the test that hard, but I always try to be over prepared for tests.
 Good Luck, If you need any more info just ask.

Oh yea maybe I should change my name to EVILSparky  :lol:
 NZ I'll be off work by 3pm so I should be posting by 3:30pm LOL

ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006 - 02:40:06 AM »
NZ I'll be off work by 3pm so I should be posting by 3:30pm LOL

:chatting:

LMAO!!!  :roflsmiley: :lol2: :lol:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline mopar-or-no-car

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006 - 09:55:14 PM »
Congratulations Rob! That is wonderful for you and your family!! and a guaranteed pay increase every 6 months!!  :woo: wow that is great especially out here in California!!!  :clapping: AND sounds like you'll be union, even better!!! Good luck!!  :thumbsup: