Author Topic: Just a tad bit overpriced...  (Read 2549 times)

Offline carcrazyguy

Just a tad bit overpriced...
« on: April 24, 2006 - 09:15:04 PM »
Well I got my bid on paint the Cuda.  :naughty:   It was something like this  :sly: :eek7: :screwy: :lol: :nono: :roflsmiley: :grinno: :faint: :faint: :faint:

The bid was $20,000 - $25,000  :22yikes: :faint: plus any body parts, and weather strip.  That was tearing the car down.   Basically the cost was for the bodywork and paint.  They would reinstall the K-frame and the front susthingyon but it would be up to me to repaint the K-frame and all the suspension.   That doesn't include any interior at all just repainting the complete car inside out, top and bottom.  Also it would be up to me to detail the stainless trim and all that but they would reinstall those and the bumpers.  Anyway I am still  :faint: :faint: 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006 - 09:22:53 PM by carcrazyguy »

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Just a tad bit overpriced...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006 - 09:36:18 PM »

Dang! If it were me I'd take my business else where.......
No paint job is worth that unless you choose Fooze and his over the top prices.

Have you seen their work? They must be really good!  :lol2:

Took me a while to make sense of your post, then I clicked "bid" should be quote.  ;)
So, I guess your going to accept their quote eh?  :-\
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline carcrazyguy

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006 - 09:45:42 PM »

Took me a while to make sense of your post, then I clicked "bid" should be quote.  ;)
So, I guess your going to accept their quote eh?  :-\

Do you think I am that  :screwy: ???:lol: :lol:

No way I would pay 20-25k for paint.  Heck if they were buying new bumpers, buying the AAR hood, AAR rear spoiler, detailing the suspension and all that I MIGHT go for it.  But  :22yikes: 25k for paint. :faint:

What I was trying to get was a bid/quote to restore the car less motor/trans and wheels.  I basically wanted a restored roll car just like it is now just restored in and out.  But the shop did not want to do the suspension unless they were building and installing the motor/trans.  But they wanted to do 5.7 EFI Hemi.   But the bid went to 40k. :rofl: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: 

Offline TKat13

• Work In Progress...
    • Project Cuda
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006 - 10:00:02 PM »
I used to live in Little Elm, Texas; which by the looks of your house you live there or nearby. If so, I hear there is a body shop down 720 that does good work, just over the bridge but this is all strickly word of mouth and I have not seen their work. If you would like, I can call a couple buddies and they may be able to help you out, but that is of course if I got your location close... :)
1974 'Cuda
2005 SRT-10 Ram
2006 Buell Firebolt XB12R (Murdered by person texting & driving)
2004 Mach 1

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006 - 12:46:23 AM »
 :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint:  That's quite a quote for just bodywork and paint!  The shop I go to has built extremely nice, complete cars that needed a fair share of rust repair for $25,000-$30,000 max. (that's literally making everything that was beat up either rebuilt or new replacements were used.)
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Hemi Challenger

• Nothing run better then a HEMI
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006 - 05:16:22 AM »
do the work yourself and save 20 thousand, it about time people start working on car  themself, the way gas is today what else have you got to do beside work make it a family thing like someone else on the board is doing, you can do it  I know you can keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006 - 06:11:53 AM »
IF he was really going to do it right and make it mirror straight, that price is about right. The amount of work that goes into a GOOD job is phenomenal.

Body work is just nasty...I have dust all over the garage...but, as you have found out, I'm saving some big dollars. A lot of the work is fairly low-skill but involves a lot of elbow grease.

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006 - 06:32:57 AM »
IF he was really going to do it right and make it mirror straight, that price is about right. The amount of work that goes into a GOOD job is phenomenal.

Body work is just nasty...I have dust all over the garage...but, as you have found out, I'm saving some big dollars. A lot of the work is fairly low-skill but involves a lot of elbow grease.

If you look at his estimate as hours=$, then that's probably 400-500 hours, which sounds right to me. Still blows my mind, though! From what I've seen, every hour spent working on the body yourself should be worth about $50. Of course you'll never see it, but if you do all the body prep work yourself, including blocking and send them just the shell, you can probably have it painted for about $3-5k. (I got an estimate to complete my Chally from the guys who did Oldschool's Cuda and they had just under $3k in their estimate for the paint.)
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline carcrazyguy

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006 - 07:04:39 AM »
The plan as of now is... :clueless:....to leave the car as it is until my wife finishes school.  Then were ever we end up for her residency, we will try to find someone that is willing to take on the resto (where I can help and learn).  That was the original plan to begin with.  But you know somtimes I just get a litttle impatient.  :dunno:  I still need to finsih my Dart. Then I want to start on the Duster.  That should take me until 2008.  Then the CUDA :drool: will have its day. 

The main reason I got he bid now was.  I fiqured that if I could get the car painted and rolling again for about 10-12k I would send it to the bodyshop.  We had talked to the shop owner and what they wanted to do was work on this in the "off hours" (when they were slow and after hours) and I would be billed for materials and labor by the month.  When I first had word of this plan.  I was under the impression that it would be around $500 (and not over $1000) a month depending on the amount of hours they got to work on the car each month. And the time frame given for the project it should be completed in 18-24 months.  Well the bid was more like $1000 a month for the 24 months. :walkaway: 

Anyway, I think I will just go back to my original plan and try to be patient about it.  :pullinghair: :eek4:

Offline dwbiggs

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006 - 08:31:24 AM »
Guy that does my cars gave me a price of $10K to blast GTO body on rotisserie and paint inside and out.

Dan

1974 Challenger Rallye - 440+.040, 0 decked, 10.5:1, Ross Pistons, Hughes 3844 cam (238/244, .536/.540), Eddy RPM manifold, Eddy aluminum heads, Holley 750, TTI headers, .96" T-bars, IAS shocks, 1 1/8" front sway bar, 3/4" rear sway bar, XHD 6 leaf springs, Firm Feel stage 2 steering box.

Offline carcrazyguy

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006 - 10:14:07 AM »
Guy that does my cars gave me a price of $10K to blast GTO body on rotisserie and paint inside and out.

Dan

If that was the bid I got,  I would be :picture: posting pics of the car sitting in the shop today.  :woohoo: :bananasmi: :woo:

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006 - 02:11:11 PM »

Dan

IF he does good work, post his address so people can send their cars his way! You can't beat that price. Hell, I'll have over $6k in blasting costs and materials by the time my car is in paint. That doesn't include the metal work and supplies.

I cannot stress this point enough: know what you are getting when you get bodywork done! A so-so job will cost you more in the long run...trust me!

Now, if you are wondering about my bodywork, a long time friend of mine introduced me to a young friend of his that recently moved to Orlando. This kid has done about 5 restorations and he's only 20! He really likes the 'cuda and is helping me gratis! I do the metal work and rough body work and he is doing the filling and blocking. He's good! I don't know what I did to deserve such a break, but I shouldn't question it.   

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006 - 06:43:11 PM »
As far as bodywork goes, I should be set quite well if I were to ask one of my friends to help me.  He's been ranked second in the nation for autobody repair/refinishing and he's just 20. :worshippy
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006 - 09:22:12 PM »
No problem ccg

I'll do it for $3500 and do it right,  just bring it by on saturday....

Offline carcrazyguy

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006 - 08:17:56 PM »
No problem ccg

I'll do it for $3500 and do it right,  just bring it by on saturday....

Whats that address??? :clueless: See you around what about 9am?? :dunno: