Author Topic: Building a paint booth  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
Building a paint booth
« on: April 25, 2006 - 04:55:39 PM »
I'm considering building an automotive paint / spray booth.  Does anyone have experience with them?  There is an area next to my shop that has power ready to go.  It will be on a slab 14' x 24'.  I'm not going to add heat, but lots of lights and a good compressor (compressor will be in another building) are a must. 

How do I find out what size fans and filters to use?  What is the best types of draft systems and what main door is best to get the cars in, but keep it air tight when painting?
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
Re: Building a paint booth
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006 - 05:50:11 PM »
Are you building this for a one time paint job?
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006 - 06:02:49 PM »
Nope... not really.  I do not how many cars I will paint in my life, but I know that I have three in the hopper right now and I would also like having a booth to take small trim and misc. pieces in to paint anytime I need.

Also, if anyone is in my area, they will be more than welcome to use it too. :)

They do not seem that difficult to build.   :dunno:  Pour a slab down, frame up, install a decent fan system with a plenum, lot's of lights and a good air compressor.  Make it air tight and go to work!  Am I missing anything?

Are you building this for a one time paint job?
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006 - 07:14:19 PM »
Cody, I think you have the basics of it.  Here's a pic of my neighbor's spray booth.  When all the fans are turned on, you can't even see the spray circulating at all.  It's pretty nice.
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006 - 08:23:35 PM »
Can you tell me more about it?  Would love to see more pics too!!!!

Cody, I think you have the basics of it.  Here's a pic of my neighbor's spray booth.  When all the fans are turned on, you can't even see the spray circulating at all.  It's pretty nice.

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006 - 08:31:37 PM »
Don't you want to move to Georgia...then build it??  :grinyes:
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006 - 09:16:01 AM »
Having a couple friends in body and paint jobs and from what they have told me, you can indeed build a quality booth cheaper than what the market has to offer. Sounds like you are right on with the main concerns, exhaust capabilities and being totally sealed. Also from their experience I'd recommend the down draft style. Good luck Cody.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006 - 12:29:29 PM »
I read a do it yourself book on painting cars that had a section on what was the best way to outfit a paint booth. If I can find I'll copy a page or two but what stuck with me was ventilation. Best to blow/ pressurize rather than suck which stirs up dust from hidden areas.  :popcorn:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006 - 02:33:54 PM »
This is all very interesting!  Keep the info coming!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline matt63

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006 - 06:30:58 PM »
Down draft would be expensive.  I bought a std booth for for our shop a few years back (I no longer work there).  I  think Binks was one of the big suppliers of free standing units.  It had fluorescent light installed horizontally at a few feet off of the floor, filters in the doors as this was the air intake, filters and fans in the corners toexhaust the fumes, explosion-proof electrics I believe, lockouts on the lights (the lights were tied into the fan so you can't paint without having the fans on), etc.  I think it was $30K w/installation.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006 - 11:55:34 PM »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006 - 12:53:35 AM »
Thank you... Great site!  I just got their catolog on Wed.  It looks like they have a lot of what I need!  This project is just getting out of hand.  First it was going to be a paint booth... now it's up to 35'x35' with a paint booth, storage and a seperate bay with a lift.   :thumbsup:

did you see this yet CODY?

http://www.americasprideonline.com/paint-booths.shtml

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006 - 01:43:38 AM »
Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner, Cody. ::)  I don't really know the specifics about the booth other than he has several exhaust fans located beneath the floor and spaced the holes enough to fit around the outside diameter of a pickup. (it's not just for personal use, it's a commercial setup for their body shop.)  I've seen several of their finished cars that came out of that paint booth and had extremely nice results with how well everything layed out.  As for lighting, they've upgraded what was seen in the photos with more lights and a few other things to meet the standards needed to run a shop in the state of WI. :thumbsup:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006 - 05:07:22 AM »
Keep an eye on the local want ads and auctions as I`ve seen used booths go for as little as $1500-just pick it up and assemble it.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Oldschool

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006 - 06:22:33 PM »
C_O_D_Y,

You decided whether or not to build it yet?     Let us know what you decide and keep us posted....   :cooldancing: