Body vibration at 60 mph in the 71 cuda

Author Topic: Body vibration at 60 mph in the 71 cuda  (Read 7526 times)

Offline 67Vette427

• My other car is not a Rambler
Body vibration at 60 mph in the 71 cuda
« on: April 26, 2006 - 01:03:34 AM »
Maybe somebody has some ideas on this vibration problem. It comes at around 60 mph. Its not the driveshaft or joints, I've had that checked and balanced. Its almost like the car has an oscillating motion when it does it. It smoothes out at 70. I've rebuilt the 3rd member which was prety torn up. The axle bearings looked okay so I greased them up and set them in again. I'm wondering if the axle bearings would do that or perhaps the pilot bearing? Those are about the only two I haven't looked at. The tires and wheels are new but who knows maybe they balanced something wrong. It feels like it come from the rear of the car.
1 of 1 Mr Norm's T/A/ 2015 Hellcat, sublime/ 13 Power Wagon

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Body vibration at 60 mph in the 71 cuda
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006 - 07:06:36 AM »
New tires can be slightly out of balance, or even out of round, and are much worse at certain speeds, I think that's called harmonics? Anyway can you rotate the tires front to back & see if the problem moves? if so you know its the tires, if no it's not. Also a slightly bent axle may act similarly. Put the rear up on jackstands & put the car in gear, watch the tires/wheels & see if the show any sign of not turning true. :smokin:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline 67Vette427

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006 - 09:50:57 AM »
Thanks, good advice! I may take a second look with the car up in the air. I did it already and it was funny but when the speedo hit 60 there really wasn't the vibration there. I can't remember but I think I switched the tires already. Maybe the load brings it out more. Have you any experience with the axle bearings causing vibration?

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006 - 12:21:23 PM »
no bearing problems, bent axle and bad u-joins are all I've had to deal with other than tire issues.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006 - 05:33:54 PM »
are you using BFG tires ?

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 67Vette427

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006 - 06:17:09 PM »
Yes, radial T/A's 245/60/15's all the way around. I have them on my 67 vette and my 78 vette and no problem with those.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006 - 12:06:01 AM »
HMmmmm

Offline Autophile

• Kowalski... and the keys to a sawed-off weekend!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006 - 01:45:53 AM »
Check your rear end pinion angle. If it is off by a couple degrees, it can create such a vibration. To correct the pinion angle, you would use angled shims between your leaf springs and axle housing spring perches.
1971 Cuda, black/black, 419 cu. in. 3G Hemi with twin turbos (build in progress), AlterKtion, Wilwood 12.19" disks, billet Rallye wheels

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006 - 01:45:25 PM »
I know that you said that the drive shaft was checked, but do you have another one to try? Do you have another Mopar buddy to try his wheels and tires on yours and yours on his? Rule out those first. My driveshaft was indexed off by a couple of degrees.  Do you have a rebuilt engine?
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline madness

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006 - 11:44:58 PM »
i had something like that on the front at 60 or so had tires balanced 2 times BFG went to yoko hamas white letters in vibration gone love the yokos very sticky tire BFG.S are junk

Offline 67Vette427

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006 - 12:34:24 AM »
The pinion angle is something I'm going to look at. Also, this weekend I'm going to switch the tires and wheels from my brother's 70 cuda and see what happens. What is the best way/tool for the pinion angle? Thanks for all the good help!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006 - 01:00:43 AM »
you can buy a very simple angle finder from most tool stores, it has a magnetic side & & a dial with a pointer to indicate angle

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006 - 02:14:26 AM »
A buddy had a similar problem, we had the drive shaft balanced, no change. I put a straight edge on it and it was bent! We had a new one made and no more vibration.

Check your tranny mount as well, it can cause bad vibes also if it is worn.

Best of luck,
Barry

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006 - 06:32:50 AM »
Yes, After you try his wheels, drive it. If it's still vibrating try his driveshaft.
Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Autophile

• Kowalski... and the keys to a sawed-off weekend!
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006 - 02:51:06 PM »
If you have a good workspace and jackstands, do your diagnostic tests on jackstands. Just raise the rear end (support the car using the axle housing, not the frame) and run the car with the tires in the air. The vibration will appear here just like it would on the road. Remove the tires, see if the vibration persists. Check/change the pinion angle, see if the vibration persists. Swap the driveshaft, etc.

Note: If your pinion angle is different from your bro's, I think it will most likely be a "flatter" approach than your bro's. My Cuda has the original small block leaf springs and it sits a little lower in the rear than stock. I needed some shims to correct the vibration that came from the sagging. I don't remember what angled shims I ended up with, but it was somewhere around 2º. Also, the tires and driveshaft swap are good things to test, but be aware that your bro's Cuda may have differently sized U-joints than you, and a driveshaft swap might not be easy.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.
1971 Cuda, black/black, 419 cu. in. 3G Hemi with twin turbos (build in progress), AlterKtion, Wilwood 12.19" disks, billet Rallye wheels