Author Topic: Found an interesting blog, guy trying to build a car from scratch-  (Read 750 times)

Offline Sukhoi

• Mr. 3-d
tork.wordpress.com

Interesting idea, doubt he'll ever pull it off though

Does anyone else think this is even feasible?

for those who have link-a-phobia, heres the text:

(first post)

Why does style cost so much money? An introduction

Everybody knows the feeling, you see a Lamborghini, Ferrari, or Bugatti go down the road, and your left in shear awe at it’s undecipherable beauty

So why do all the cars cost well over the average persons abillity to generate money?

Good question

Why can’t GM, ford, D/C etc… come up with styling that beautiful, without charging a hell of alot of money for it?

Well, That’s part of the purpose of this blog. I intend to demonstrate how vehicles of similar style, and in some cases, performance, can be manufactured and sold at much cheaper prices than most exotics. You’re probably wondering how I intend to do this, aren’t you? Well, check out the “project” section of this blog, for more info on that

(next post)

Project

You’ll remember My original post, I stated that i intended to demostrate that a car which mirrors common exotics can be built cheaply- here’s how I am going to demonstrate this

I have started a project, one that will undoubtably take many years and a good bit of money.

I am going to replicate an exotic car with exotic looks, and try to keep the total cost to produce it as low as I can

I will make the body out of an FRP composite, The chassis will be welded tube steel, I will use a small-block V-8 for the engine, And it will probably be supercharged

I may just seem like a hopeless dreamer, But i do know a fair bit about cars. however, NEVER be afraid to call me out on something that is wrong. I am not as foolish as to think that my modest knowledge about automobile manufacture can not be corrected.

Now, like all things, I need to do a little “practice” project before I can begin work on the real deal.

to get some good experience, I’ve decided to make an off-road racer, It’s body style is sort of H1 meets (new) charger

I’ll get some renders up tomorrow

Offline 74MOPAR

Re: Found an interesting blog, guy trying to build a car from scratch-
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006 - 10:41:09 AM »
I think he is going to answer his own question of why "exotics" are not in the price range of most folks.  It's good he realizes it will take a lot of time [ years] and money to attempt this.
 Problem is most exotics have performance to match.  And that is not something one could create in a car with a clay putty knife.
74 'Cuda + 73 Charger Rally + $$ + assembly= Noble M400
 03 Ram Hemi 4x4
 78 Aspen Super Coupe

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006 - 11:31:52 AM »
Sounds like another teenager who is dreaming during History class.

daves70

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006 - 06:02:04 PM »
I agree Scott!! :grinyes:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006 - 09:30:40 PM »
Is he thinking in the way of the guys who developed kit cars?  :clueless:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

KTO

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006 - 12:40:26 PM »
Reminds me of me the first time I got my hands on CAD in college..... half retarded.

Luckily now I am only 1/4....ok 1/3