Author Topic: Body Shop Recommendations  (Read 1279 times)

Offline ike1970RT

Body Shop Recommendations
« on: April 28, 2006 - 08:33:51 AM »
I Live in Brick, NJ and was wondering if anyone knew of a reputable body shop that I could trust to perform the bodywork on my 1970 Challenger R/T. I have been speaking with one guy that does excelent work. He does restorations such as this on a time and material basis only, and said he just finished another R/T which ran up to about $10,000.00. Just for FYI, I am looking to get the body to a decent shape. I wasnt really looking at restoring it back to a showroom condition, but I do want the body straight. Im not sure what the difference is between the 2 since I do need to replace the quarters, trunk along with extensions, and sand and paint the entire car. Any advise would be great since I dont have a great deal of experiance with body shops... Thanks everyone!!!

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
Re: Body Shop Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006 - 04:51:00 PM »
Get a contract in writing before hand! There have been several post on just this topic....no need learning the hard way when some others have been burned.

Offline willhaven

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006 - 07:47:52 PM »
I'd say get a contract in-hand, and don't pay for it all up front. You should work out a sensible schedule where he gets to a certian point by a certian date or he doesn't get the next installment of cash until it is complete.

That's the way things work in the gaming industry at least. :)

Offline Total BS

• '71 Carrabuda Baby!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006 - 08:03:50 PM »
Ike,

I have a recommendation for you and I can vouch for their craftmanship first hand as they are currently doing my 71 Cuda and I am extremely please with their work. The guy that is working on mine is a Mopar fanatic and is doing more than I could have asked for.  Mine is a rotisserie resto but they should be able to help you on any level.  There is also a media blaster/powder coating shop right next door if you need their services. They are located in Forked River not that far from you (I am in Toms River) The shop is called Jersey Muscle Cars and that is all that they do.  Their number is 609-971-7171 ask for the owner Dean and tell him 'Cuda Ed' sent you..
Good Luck with your resto...
1971 'Cuda 383
1970 Chevelle SS LS6
1999 Durango
-New Joisey-

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006 - 12:56:39 PM »
Get a contract in writing before hand! There have been several post on just this topic....no need learning the hard way when some others have been burned.

:iagree:  And don't ever, ever, ever pay up front.  I found that out the hard way. Word of mouth is certainly the best way to go. You should follow-up with Total BS.

You can learn from my experience at http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=18569.0
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline JCWCuda

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006 - 04:27:44 PM »
 :iagree: never pay up front i worked part time for a while at a body shop doing his mechanical work and anytime he got a long term job he would take the money and spend it push the job to the back . Then he would do little things to make it look like he was working on it and then tell the owner supplies had gone up so he needed more money. Not All Body shop owners work this way but unfortunatley Many do ruining it for the hard working Guy who does do what he Promises.

1974 Barracuda 360
2008 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7l Hemi
1990 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l
Gone but not forgotten
1967 Barracuda 273
1976 Charger 318
2003 Dakota Quad Cab 4.7l
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006 - 02:23:27 PM »
Well Here is how i do it when i am doing work for someone it is $25 a hour plus parts and supplies and everytime i hit 1000.00 dollars worth of work done i have the person pay me and check there car this way if they are unhappy then they can take the car and no hard feelings.Paint jobs are a seperate issue though i charge depends on car.This was written by cudagirls husband so you all know it was me not her she is online now but ask me to interveen.We are in PA
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)

Offline crcarch

• Happiness is having the time and the money!
  • "No, it's not a Charger!"
    • A little history and restoration pics on Cardomain
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006 - 02:58:38 PM »
.....We are in PA

You must be that one out of one-hundred who's an honest, decent fellow.  :thumbsup: If you were in Georgia, I'd give you a call.
00/===\00 73 Challenger 440-4V/AT  8/--+--\8 09 Ram 1500  0o\==/o0 05 Crossfire Roadster OO(#####SRT)OO 10 Challenger

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006 - 10:10:50 PM »
Hey ike1970RT most of these posts are right on the money. A good guy will ask you for a down payment at the beginning - something like 15% of the total estimate. This will cover his material startup costs for your car. Then as they progress through the job, they will most likely get progress payments of something like 20% each time. That way (as one post stated) you can check the quality as you go. You are better off to get an estimate rather than a firm price quote as the shop WILL discover more rust than you bargained for. This way they will talk to you about extra costing for the job because of those things. If you force a shop for a firm quote they will either gouge you up front to cover hidden items or do a hack job to get past hidden rust, old damage etc. Remember - even if you have a 318 car they are appreciating fast and ones that have been done right body and paint wise are worth that much more. Also take lots of digital pictures to prove that the car was done right. This helps for both insurance appraisals and for resale. Good Luck
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006 - 04:54:56 AM »
Thanks crcarch for the kind words i try to make the resto as easy as possible for both parties that way you have no issues.And problem with firm price as one person said you really cant give one because you dont know what lies underneath the paint and primer could be a nightmare and usually is.

kenny-cudagirls husband
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)