Author Topic: Diabetes  (Read 2397 times)

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
Diabetes
« on: April 30, 2006 - 05:59:34 PM »
  This weekend i rode with a couple of friends to the Mopar show at Mobile's Battleship Park. Lots of Mopars other friends i haven't talked to in a while and good (although windy) weather. Second week in a row i've cooked my coconut :bricks1: One day i will learn to wear my hat :screwy: Anyways Jim, whose 2000 Sebring jxi conv. we rode down in, has Diabetes to the degree that he administers an insulin shot before eating. This must be done - no exceptions. When we left Montgomery for Mobile a point was made to ask Jim if he'd eaten already since both Joe and I are aware of his being diabetic. The answer was yes and all was good. For about 2 1/2 hrs. Jim is a very talkative person and it had been quiet for too long. Joe (who was driving) and i exchanged glances  :dunno: :clueless: :dunno: and when i looked back Jim appeared to be napping but was actually displaying the classic signs of low blood sugar. Unattentive, slurred speech when he did speak, and heavy sweating.
  Joe's cell phone showed out of service and not knowing where the nearest medical facility is, we did the next best thing - pull in at a major pharmacy chain, in this case Walgreen's. One of the employees who herself is diabetic, used her kit to obtain a blood sugar reading of 33  :22yikes: which is not good. Quickly and thoughtfully 911 was called. In minutes both the local VFD as well as the ambulance showed up and from the info Joe, Karen (the Walgreen's employee), and i provided, Jim's blood sugar was elevated back up to 70 via sugar tablets Jim had in his pocket and a small bottle of orange juice. Crisis averted, Jim coming back to his yakky old self.
  We headed to the evil clown (McD's) where we shoved some food down his throat :swear:. Turns out Jim didn't eat enough (just a piece of toast and a bowl of oatmeal) before leaving :nono: :nono: and Joe and Russ got a free medical lesson. The moral is wherever anyone's going please don't take a medical situation lightly (yours or someone else's) and let the other folks know about things. And thank you Walgreen's for your helpful employees!!  :bigsmile:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006 - 06:03:39 PM by RusTy/SE »
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline Hemi Challenger

• Nothing run better then a HEMI
Re: Diabetes
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006 - 06:05:10 PM »
 I bet he is thankful that you was keeping an eye on him, if not who know what would happen to him when you got to your last stop, Glad you are a Good friend to have around  :angelwings: :thumbsup:

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006 - 06:09:49 PM »
Glad it all worked out, Jim should have answered you correctly about his having eaten as you knew enough to ask!
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006 - 09:08:36 PM »
Oh...he knows ::) 
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006 - 07:49:44 AM »
Well done Russ! Diabetes is a tough thing to live with sometimes.  My mom had it.  I had to poke her several times a day...not fun.
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006 - 10:42:02 AM »
Great job!   :thumbsup:

Good thing you recognised the signs of hypo-glycemia!  I've seen people go into a diabetic coma with a blood sugar reading that low!

He's fortunate to have a friend like you!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006 - 04:11:18 PM »
Wow, thankfully you were on the ball and noticed the symptoms!  I never dealt much with people and insulin, but have quite a few diabetic dogs in my care at times.  Those frequent meals are very important!

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006 - 08:11:32 PM »
All's well that ended well but i have to share the credit with Joe here :thumbsup: Also there was no panic  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006 - 08:13:50 PM »

My Mum and Sister have Diabetes. I think I may, I get pretty dizzy sometimes after going for a run, like I'm going to faint. Then I eat a Moro (energy Chocolate bar) and I feel a little better.....I may have to go get checked out, one day.

Weird "disease" it is..... :-\
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006 - 10:25:55 PM »
Lately, when I lower my head down to reach something and then I get up quick, I get a black out head rush for a few seconds. Not a big deal. But it now seems to happen all the time when I do bend over and get up. The nurse told me last winter that I am border line to getting Diabetes.(High sugar in my blood) So far, no fainting spells or numbness. But are these light headed occurences a sign that I am getting diabetes? I do plan to go the Doctor pretty soon about it and get another blood analysis  and see if there are any changes since last time. Maybe it's just that I need to eat more in the morning. Anybody with advice?
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006 - 10:49:42 PM »
Lately, when I lower my head down to reach something and then I get up quick, I get a black out head rush for a few seconds. Not a big deal. But it now seems to happen all the time when I do bend over and get up. The nurse told me last winter that I am border line to getting Diabetes.(High sugar in my blood) So far, no fainting spells or numbness. But are these light headed occurences a sign that I am getting diabetes? I do plan to go the Doctor pretty soon about it and get another blood analysis  and see if there are any changes since last time. Maybe it's just that I need to eat more in the morning. Anybody with advice?

Bend at the knees and don't lower your head.  :lol2:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006 - 11:22:11 PM »

When does this happen?  In the morning?  All the time?  Usually a "black out" sort of feeling is when your brain doesn't get enough oxygen. 

As we get older, this type of thing tends to be more common, in some more than others.  When you change positions to bend down and get up, alot of blood in your head goes south and then you get the "black out" feeling. 

Not sure if this is indicative of Diabtes or not.  Definately have the Doc check it out.  Just remember when getting up to move slowly.  This give your blood time to "catch up" to your brain.  This also goes for when you get up out of bed in the morning.   

Just my 2 cents.  Hope you feel better!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006 - 11:26:03 PM »
Thanks, I do excercise quite a bit now. So I will get it checked out soon.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006 - 01:16:36 PM »
Here are the symptoms of Diabetes...

Signs and symptoms of diabetes include the following:
    *  The first symptom of diabetes is often excessive thirst (unrelated to exercise, hot weather, or short-term illness)
    * Excessive hunger (you know you've eaten "enough" but are still hungry all the time)
    * Frequent urination (often noticed because you must wake up repeatedly during the night)
    * Tiredness and fatigue (possibly severe enough to make you fall asleep unexpectedly after meals), one of the most common symptoms of diabetes.
    * Rapid and/or sudden weight loss (any dramatic change in weight is a sign to visit a doctor)

Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006 - 12:38:56 AM »
Thanks Rev. I don't fit those descriptions.
Mike, Fremont, CA.