Author Topic: Tuning my 440 6 pac  (Read 9329 times)

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: Tuning my 440 6 pac
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006 - 03:16:13 PM »
The port you want on the center carb does not have any vacuum at idle.  The other one with vacuum CAN be hooked to the distributor if you have pinging, when hooked up to Ported vacuum.  Get the carbs working first. Make sure that you hook the T fitting to the one that doesn't have any vacuum at idle.   Those might have been switched.
Rob
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006 - 03:18:44 PM by shelbydogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline cudaaah

• 71 HEMI cuda, 2015 ram 2500 mega cab diesal 4x4
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006 - 05:11:05 PM »
Ok i've connected the vacuum ports, the idle screw is as low as it will go...the engine still runs on.  (Chryco i haven't yet got to the solenoid yet)  W/ the car off, I loosened the float adjustor screw on top of the center carb.  As soon as I cracked the screw loose ( 1/4 turn ) gas seeped out.  I retightened and left alone.  Is this normal? 

Also...what is the white plastic screw in the side of the center carb?  I hope these guys at the engine shop didn't screw up my carbs.  It looks like they tried, but couldn't get it right.  I think my car is running rich.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006 - 05:21:48 PM »
Can you take a pic of that WHITE PLASTIC SCREW?

That engine runs on because your idle is too high. With the engine idling do you  see any fuel dripping off of the venturies? (all 3 carbs)

You might have to CAP OFF the front and rear carbs to eliminate them.

Adjusting floats ALWAYS squirts fuel. That's why you have to be very QUICK about it.  Use a 5/8 box wrench and a large short screwdriver then  "Loosen screw, turn nut, tighten screw"  QUICK!

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline cudaaah

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006 - 05:36:04 PM »
The idle adjustor screw that  the throttle cable connects to is as loose as it will go...I've also tried heavier throttle return spring.

Which way do you turn the float screw bolt to lowerthe level?

Also when you say cap the front and rear, do you mean permanantly?  and what do you mean by cap?

I will take a pic and post.

Thanks
Cudaaah

Offline cudaaah

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2006 - 05:49:23 PM »
Here's the pic of the screw.  It's the white phillips head on center carb.

Offline cudaaah

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006 - 06:55:58 PM »
More updates...I actually went to Holley.com and read some instruction!!!   the float levels seem to be OK, I opened the viewing hole and the gas level was even w/ bottom of hole.   My timing seems to be good 12 Degrees, when I gave it gas, it did fire out carb the first time.  It still seems to idle fast.  I was able to turn down the idle, the car was about to stall...when I re adjusted idle it didn't change until I pulled throttle.  almost like it was stuck.

Should I put my 4 BBl back on??? :stomp:

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006 - 08:57:36 PM »
no way !!! your in too deep, just like me  :grinyes:

But, it'll be worth it in the end. 4-barrels are a dime a dozen !
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006 - 09:13:36 PM »
AAhhhh,  The 6-pack blues........   In the 27 years that I've had my Challenger, I had a 4BBL, then a 6 pack,  then a 4 BBL, Now Edelbrock 1000 CFM Fuel injection.     Notice how I went back to a 4BBL after the 6-pack?     It was fast, but I got tired of "working" the throttle just right to keep it from stalling when I let the clutch out and when I came up to a stop sign.  My carbs were worn out.  If yours are new, you should be able to get it tuned up to start "working" your 6-pack.   There are lots of working 6-packs and 6-BBls out there.

The white plug that you show is a cap to lock that idle mixture screw on that side.  Pop it off,  adjust the screws then pop it back on.      Both screws should be adjusted the same way from side to side.  Look on that Holley Site again and read about adjusting you IDLE MIXTURE.  I bet we read your first post wrong when we thought that's what you were talking about, when you watched that guy adjust yours.  

When I say CAP OFF your front and rear carbs to see if the idle changes,  I mean COVER THE HOLES ON TOP.  Take something that won't melt and wont break and get sucked in,  like rubber from an inner tube.  Wrap it over the hole and rubber band it tight. That way you'll know that they aren't allowing air in, when you're troubleshooting an idle problem with the center carb.

When you built your engine did you use a "STOCK SPEC" cam?  If not, you better read up on changing your power valve to match your vacuum.  If you have low vacuum at idle, your power valve could be wide open just idling. A bigger cam causes low vacuum at idle.

Rob
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006 - 09:38:08 PM by shelbydogg »
Rob

Offline cudaaah

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006 - 10:12:11 PM »
What do I need to check my vacuum, and what can I do if it's low??? :1zhelp:

believe me! I want to keep the 6pac so I can put my new hood emblems on as well as my new tags
" BAD 6PK"... :ylsuper:

I need to get the specs on the cam, it's not Radical, but it's not stock.  I can get tomorrow, it's out in my car.

I appreciate the help,
You wouldn't happen to live in the Austin ,TX area?
Cudaaah

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2006 - 10:48:50 PM »
Who Me?  I'm in St. Louis, MO.  I'll be in Orlando for the start of the Power Tour next month if anyone wants to meet up.     

Put a vacuum guage on your fitting that has vacuum at idle.  Idle the car in drive if it's and Auto or neutral if a 4sp.  Look at the vacuum guage.  You need a power valve that is rated to open about 1.5 to 2 inches lower than your reading.   Let's say you read 6" of vacuum at idle, you would put in a 4.5" power valve marked 45.
 Vacuum keeps the valve closed, once the throttle is opened quickly, you have less vacuum, so the power valve adds more fuel.   A stock cam might have 16 inches at idle with a stock power valve of 12". If your cam only has 8" idling, that valve is open as soon as you start it.
Rob

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2006 - 11:51:05 PM »
most 6 packs have 6.5" power valves so as long as you have 8" idling in gear you are OK
 pry the plastic cover off the idle mixture screw , it is a limiter used for emiision control , it may be set lean if it is backfiring
 I have never needed the idle solinoid to make a 6 pack run properly either

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2006 - 06:42:58 AM »
Yeah Chryco, I didn't use one either......

But Cudaah, you said that the throttle stuck open a little bit?   Are those carbs new?  Someone could have loosened the screws on the throttle plates, then retightened them off-center.  If you feel that "stick" again, you may have to take off the center carb, flip it over, and look at the throttle plates.

Rob
Rob

Offline cudaaah

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2006 - 06:50:55 AM »
I'm learning quite alot hear and really appreciate the help.   I'll pick up a vaccum tester today and check the vacuum.

Power Valve??? I've never heard of this.  Is that something I can get from summit, and where is it installed?

Also are there any tools for tuning carbs or is it all by sound and feel.  Other than the bid diagnostic machines I've seen at the local shops.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2006 - 08:04:35 AM »
Once you learn about Holleys, You'll know how to do it by sound, sight and accelleration. I've never used any diagnostic tools besides a vacuum guage.      You better get a book on Holleys.  Check Barnes and Noble, Borders, AutoZone, Carquest.  Some auto parts stores have holley books.  Learning basics about Holleys can't  be learned from reading posts on a computer.   

See Ya,
Rob

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2006 - 01:39:35 AM »
the best Holley book is an SA book  written by Dave Emanuel

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t