Author Topic: Tuning my 440 6 pac  (Read 9333 times)

Offline cudaaah

• 71 HEMI cuda, 2015 ram 2500 mega cab diesal 4x4
Tuning my 440 6 pac
« on: May 01, 2006 - 09:42:01 PM »
OK.  I just got my newly rebuilt 440 10:1 compression, Indy aluminum heads, back from the engine shop...They did a nice job w/ the build but weren't familiar w/ the 6 pac setup.

I have a new 6 pac from mopar, and am wondering if anyone has info on fine tuning???  I believe my timing may be off as well.  The car continues to run for a couple of seconds after turning off...It also seems to be idling high.  although the car seems quicker, it's still not scary yet.

Any advice  would be appreciated.   I had the engine built while in CA, and picked the car up on my move down here 2 weeks ago.  Thus, I can't go back to the builder.

I also had headman headers put on, w/ my flowmasters...The cars much louder, and I would like to tone down.  Any suggestions on mufflers as well would be appreciated.

Cudaaah

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: Tuning my 440 6 pac
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006 - 11:01:25 PM »
Do you have a solenoid on the linkage side of the middle carb?
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006 - 11:23:02 PM »
my six-pack was idling high and would keep running after shutting it off until I adjusted the floats and stopped the dribbling into the venturi. Never touched the idle screws etc.. and now it does not do it.
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006 - 11:58:42 PM »
start with the basics just like any Holley , set float levels , idle speed & mixture , , I assume you have more than 6 " of vacuum at idle in gear so the power valve will be ok , make sure the linkage is adjusted so the center carb controls the idle speed , & all the carb s close properly  , there are ide screws in all 3 carbs , the center has them on the sides & the end carbs are under the bowls

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006 - 12:17:50 AM »
Do you have a solenoid on the linkage side of the middle carb?

My solenoid operates, but I don't understand it.
The plunger extends with the key on, and retracts when off.
What's the theory? and yes I rerouted the wire (old pic).
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006 - 01:38:32 AM »
the solinoid controls the idle speed , with the key on the idle should be around 800 , as son as th ekey is off the throttle should drop the carb closed to prevent run on

Offline cudaaah

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006 - 08:05:52 AM »
I don't know what the solenoid would look like??? I bought the set up from mopar, and everything that came is attached.   The large vacuum port off the center carb is open.  Should that be attached to something?  There is no suction from it.  The rest of the vacuum port are capped.

Secondly, I've seen floats adjusted 1 time.   when it was done, the adjustments were made down until the car seemed to bog, then back a half turn.  Is there another method?

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006 - 08:27:54 AM »
Here is the solenoid from the pic above.  You adjust your idle with the screw that hits the top of it.  It's a GM -Delco Part number that can be ordered through them cheaper than from the Mopar guys. 

You need to get a book on the 6-Pack dude.  Look at some pics.    From your pictures, You don't have the balance line hooked up between all 3 carbs.  That allows the front and rear and center carbs to see the same ported vacuum signal. That red plugged port needs a hose to a "T" fitting to the other carb's similar ports.

The float adjustment, that you described, wasn't float adjustment but he was adjusting the idle mixture screws.  That is done with the air cleaner on. 
Rob
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006 - 08:41:12 AM by shelbydogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006 - 09:32:22 AM »
Basically you have a 2 bbl right now , as Dogg said above all the ports with the red plugs need a common vacuum line for the outboard carbs to open
to adjust the floats you ned to remove the sight plugs from the side of the fuel bowls & the level is adjusted by loosening the lock screw & turning the nut , whne lowering the level do not expect the level to go down , there is no where for the fuel to go so you can lower the level & still have fuel trickling out until you use some of the fuel in the bowl so lower it a turn or so & recheck the level   

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006 - 09:47:24 AM »
Hook up the Carbs like this: And once you get that Line hooked up, with those Indy heads, I think you'll find that SCARY fast that you are lookiing for.  It'll be adding an extra 1000 CFM!   You'll get that Holy S***!  grin on your face.  You can also play with the vacuum pod springs to make the carbs open sooner or later depending on what color springs you use. Holley sells spring kits for these, but you may just like the stock setup.

Keep us updated.
Rob
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006 - 09:59:59 AM by shelbydogg »
Rob

Offline cudaaah

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006 - 12:06:38 PM »
Thanks for all the advice...I'l keep you all updated on my progress. 

Cudaaah

Offline cudaaah

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006 - 01:40:25 PM »
Any idea's on where to get 6pac manuals?  I spoke w/ Holley, they don't have, I called summit and mopar tech. w/ no luck.

Thanks
Cudaaah

Oldschool

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006 - 02:11:05 PM »
Board member C_O_D_Y might have the answers you are seeking.  He has acquired some of the old Mopar books that would have that material in them.  Maybe he will drift by shortly and help you out, if not, PM him and see if he has the info....   Oldschool

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006 - 02:16:18 PM »
Sorry, it was my suggestion but I  dont' really know of one.. Everything is in my head from when I had a 6-pack. Does anyone know if the Mopars Perfomance Engine Manual has a section on 6-Packs? It's really just a 4-BBL with an extra 2-BBL. You treat it the same. Look at some other 6-BBls up close and take pics to set yours up.

Rob
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006 - 02:20:48 PM by shelbydogg »
Rob

Offline cudaaah

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006 - 02:53:34 PM »
I don't see my post, so hear it is again...I have located a vacuum tube w/ a T off the center carb.  It was just hanging there.  I have a piece of vacuum tubing,  that I'll connect to the front and rear carb too. 

On the center carb there is another small vacuum port just above the port w/ the T conection.  Should this be capped.  I have electronic ignition in case that port is for distributor.

thanks