Author Topic: It's spring time and that means spiders  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
It's spring time and that means spiders
« on: May 02, 2006 - 12:52:22 AM »
I was bitten by a brown Recluse years ago right about this time of year.The most dangerous spider in the U.S. Last week, my friend was biten by a black Widow. It swelled up 2 inches. Was very nasty and angry looking welt on his leg. This is when you need to be especially careful as you are fixing things. Whether it's old cars or wood, it doesn't matter. They are hiding...just waiting.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Andrew

• Resident
Re: It's spring time and that means spiders
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006 - 12:58:14 AM »
Eew that last pictures sick.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006 - 03:07:22 AM »
Yes, everyone outside of the cold Midwest needs to watch out for those little things.  I guess the one advantage of living so far north is that they'd never survive the winters, so we're safe for the most part. (except when shipments come in from overseas and sometimes contain several "extra" cargo...like a poisonous tree frog that was once shipped to our local Home Depot store where my sister's a manager at.)

On a side note, you better watch out for those beetles too, TC. :grinyes:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006 - 03:40:08 AM »

Snakes? No worries. Jumping off a cliff? No worries. Getting nude in public? No worries.....Spiders? F##K That!  :eek4:

:roflsmiley:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006 - 06:23:28 AM »
I'm trying to eat breakfast here.... :puke:
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006 - 06:25:07 AM »

Re-looking at those photos, do you think that top photo is about 1:1? Like, real size?
Looks it to me....if you imagine it stuck to your computer screen..... :sly: :eek4:

:hyper:

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006 - 07:28:29 AM »

Re-looking at those photos, do you think that top photo is about 1:1? Like, real size?
Looks it to me....if you imagine it stuck to your computer screen..... :sly: :eek4:

:hyper:
Yea NZ A co-worker brought one of those brown Recluse spiders into work that he found outside his home, and it was about the same size. He had it in a small plastic butter tub. Why he would bring in something as dangerous as that into a public place I don't know, he's not the brightest crayon in the box... If it was be I would of just introduced it to the bottom of my shoe and been done with it!
 TC what happened to you when you got bit? I heard the the California ones aren't as damaging as the ones in Texas, I don't won't to find out if that's true though lol
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006 - 07:56:42 AM »

TC what happened to you when you got bit? I heard the the California ones aren't as damaging as the ones in Texas, I don't won't to find out if that's true though lol

When I was bit, it happened when I was asleep. Guess he wanted to be a bed buddy with me and spend the night. I rolled over on him and he said "Hey" "Get off Me!" So he got mad at me like that beetle did, and bit me. Didn't know what it was in bed with me. Bit me on the belt line. At first, I thought it was a ingrown hair that was chaffed and was just a little angry. Then it was growing like a volcano ready to erupt. Then it did. And I was screaming every bad word on Earth invented. Ran to the Doctor faster than the Road runner in the cartoon could run. He gave me some Giant White pills and a few days later it went down. The volcano went into remission. As far as CA. one's go, I don't know if they're less poisonious. But this one was so small it must've been a sixteenth of an inch or less. Just a itty bitty one.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006 - 08:22:03 AM »
Yea NZ A co-worker brought one of those brown Recluse spiders into work that he found outside his home, and it was about the same size. He had it in a small plastic butter tub. Why he would bring in something as dangerous as that into a public place I don't know, he's not the brightest crayon in the box... If it was be I would of just introduced it to the bottom of my shoe and been done with it!

Thanks Evil....stuff that...ugly bloody things.  :lol2:  :eek4: They say the average human eats/swallows 6-7 Spiders (or something like that) in there sleep in their life time.  :crying: :-\ Have a good sleep.  :biggrin: :roflsmiley:

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006 - 09:22:12 PM »
 TC you got bit in the belt line??? Good thing it wasn't 5 or 6 inches lower or it could of turned you from a HE to a SHE  :roflsmiley:
 I bet I just made every guy on this forum wince thinking about that  :22yikes:
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline 4drbrnko

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006 - 10:16:33 PM »
The 'recluse is nothing to mess with, can get bad if the bite is not tended to earlt, just ask my ex sister in law. She ignored a bite on her upper thigh, by the time she went in they thought they were going to have to amputate. They were able to save her leg, but it was very painful and my brother had to stuff about 8-9 feet of cotton gause into the hole  twice a day to keep the wound open.  :faint:
Not all spiders are bad though, had one of these little guys living in my MH last year in TX:

He stayed up by the dash mostly, caught any bugs that might sneak in the front door, I would catch a few bugs for him once in a while if he was looking hungry. When it came time to leave I took him out and put him up in a tree.  :sadwavey:
I also saw a large Tarantula while I was down there, they are pretty common. But the fact that I saw this one crossing the road while I was speeding along at 50 miles an hour impressed me. He was ginormous.  :eek2: I almost went back to pull a steve irwin on him, but decided not to take a chance of screeming like a little girl if he jumped in my hair or something.  :eek4:

Sorry, got a little off topic.... I agree, watch out for spiders.  :bigsmile:
<-------<<<  Clickylinks..... My vehicles

Mark 12:30

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006 - 06:24:44 AM »
 :puke: i dont like spiders. AT ALL!

Offline cuda

• 1970 340 Cuda, pistol grip 4 speed,3:91 sure grip
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006 - 07:18:18 AM »
I dont like spiders and snakes................    :cooldancing: :roflsmiley:..........sorry couldnt help myself. :bigsmile:

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006 - 07:31:39 PM »
Snakes and spiders .................. hate all them b@stards.................kill them all I say ! All they do is scare or kill people ! !  I was introduced to a black widow one morning when I was putting on my shoes (Colorado), I stuffed my sock into the shoe (an old tennis shoe), took it outside, soaked the sock and shoe with gas and lit a match.............goodbye !  :villagers:

?  I wonder why that came up in blue type ?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006 - 07:34:00 PM by whitesatinmopar »
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006 - 08:02:42 PM »
?  I wonder why that came up in blue type ?

It registered that complete line as an email because you used the @ and . tags together.

If you place you mouse cursor over it look at the bottom left of your web browser it will say: mailto: then your line.
Also, if you click the blue line it will give you a pop up email box.

:thumbsup: