Author Topic: Restoration dilemma. Need input.  (Read 2274 times)

Offline jeryst

• Resident
Restoration dilemma. Need input.
« on: May 02, 2006 - 06:49:23 AM »
Hi Guys. I recently bought a 73 Cuda project. It's a numbers matching 340 4-speed car with only 45k miles. The previous owner took it all apart and then lost interest due to lack of funds. The car was running and driveable when he dismantled it, and is in very nice shape, except that it has the normal rust in the lower rear front fenders, and around the rear wheel wells. Along with the car, the guy gave me a whole bunch of parts that he bought, including new repop front fenders, and full quarter panels. Although I am going to restore the car, and do not plan on selling it in the forseeable future, I have a question about which way to go, so here is my question:

Should I...

(1). Have the rusted areas (not very big) cut out and have new metal welded in, thereby keeping all of the
                     original panels on the car,
                                                                    or
               (2). Have the repop fenders and quarters put on.

Which option would be more desireable, and which one would make the car more valuable when it comes time to sell it? Keeping the original panels would be a lot cheaper, and in my opinion, would be more desireable because of the fit of the original panels, but I don't know how a "patched" car stacks up to one that has had "new metal" put on it. I really would like some input as to which way to go, and would appreciate any advice that anyone could give. Thanks.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Restoration dilemma. Need input.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006 - 07:01:02 AM »

Depending on how bad it is, definitely try and keep ANYTHING original on the car if you are looking for the extra buck. Most car enthusiasts drool over complete cars that maintain all original pieces ("survivors").
Though yours is not a survivor Pusey, keeping the original metal work definitely helps ease buyers minds.

As you stated, the fit of the originals is also a bonus, I myself have never bought repro body panels, except the trunk lid (see blow, I had a great excuse) but with the rest of my repro stuff be awful fits it would be a dodgy route to take. So, if I were in your shoes, get some clean cut metal, cut out those rusty devils and weld.

:2cents: :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006 - 07:03:02 AM by NZ440R/T »
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006 - 07:03:55 AM »
 :iagree:  & you will prob. spend more time/money fitting the repops than fixing the OEs  :bigshades:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006 - 06:16:10 AM by bullitt99 »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006 - 07:14:30 AM »
Nice find an just where are the pics ?  :roflsmiley:  :useless:

Personally to answer your question I'd always preserve as much of the orginal sheetmetal as possible. In fact depending on exactly the amount and location of the rust damage a good body guy can repair it with other discarded sheetmetal patches. If this is possible you then have the option of selling those repo quarters to give you some added funds to your project. Or you can keep them for the "next" little project you might run accross.

Now should I repeat ?  :useless: Good luck and keep us updated.  :cheers:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006 - 07:52:11 AM »
Thanks for the input. Seems unanimous to keep the originals, so that's where I am heading. No pics yet, because the car is still on my trailer, all tarped up, waiting to go to the body shop. Doesn't look like much, because we quickly bolted on fenders, hood, etc, and stuffed everything else inside, just to get it on the trailer and get it home. I'll take some quick pics though, when I uncover it. As long as you don't mind looking at a partially dismantled vehicle with no grill, lights, or glass, and a skinned off vinyl roof!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006 - 08:08:58 AM »

.......photos are photos...... :useless:  :roflsmiley:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Steve

• I Love Welding!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006 - 10:43:33 AM »
Along with the car, the guy gave me a whole bunch of parts that he bought, including new repop front fenders, and full quarter panels.

OK...do you have NOS OEM parts here are aftermarket parts? The only aftermarket fenders are fiberglass fenders and aftermarket fender partial patch panels. The only FULL quarter panels out there for the 'cuda or NOS OEM quarters. The others are SKINS.

SO, if you have NOS stuff, I would sell it for big $$$$ and finance the fixing of the rust.

To answer your question about patching vs. replacement, that depends on several factors:
1. How bad and where exactly is the rust. This will partly determine the best way to eliminate the rust and maintain proper body lines.
2. Do you really have NOS FULL quarters? If YES and the rust is really bad AND you want to put NOS quarters on a '73 car, new full quarters would likely produce the best results. I think that you have quarter SKINS. IF SO, keep as much original  metal as possible and use your skins to make patches. On my car, I actually put on the entire skins. I believe my skins were very early production and matched the orginals very, very well. I found the quality to be superb and fit was absoluately excellent. When we're done with the quarters, you won't be able to tell that these are skins.

We really need more information to give proper advice on ways to proceed.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006 - 11:16:55 AM »
I would have to say try and keep as much original sheetmetal as you can on the car.  The reproduction quarter skins (not the new complete ones from Goodmark) are quite junky when it comes to fit and the gauge of metal used, so try to not use any more than what you need.  Here are some pics of what I had done for my Challenger.
Unless something ugly is covered up with bondo like mine was, you should be in good shape. :thumbsup:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006 - 01:29:13 PM »
Welcome aboard!!  Looks like you're already got some good answers!!  Hope you enjoy the site and post some pictures soon!    :picture:

Offline Hemi Challenger

• Nothing run better then a HEMI
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006 - 04:45:16 AM »
Yes Post some Pic soon would like to see How much rust you have on the Cuda :popcorn: will be waiting for the  :picture:

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006 - 05:13:52 AM »
welcome jeryst,and im with the others on this.mainly because i find that repop stuff is not as thick of a guage of steel as i like but will use if i cant fix the origianal steel.and let me tell you i havent worked in a body shop in over 15 years,mainly because i dont agree with the way my boss wanted things hacked together.so i put my tools up and walked from that and took a job that would benefit my kids much better.now i only work on my own cars and maybe thats why im having so much fun with my challenger.I am gonna use the quarters that are on it and just repair the sections that need work.some people say im to pickey about my work but remember its your car and its your choice.

Offline jeryst

• Resident
Re: Restoration dilemma. Need input. PICS ADDED!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006 - 10:21:21 PM »
Hi folks. Thanks for being patient with me. I finally took some pictures of the 73 Cuda I bought, and since a few of you asked, I wanted to post them. Also, I'm going to post a new topic within the next day or so, that you are just not going to believe.

Offline 41husk

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006 - 01:44:39 PM »
nice project!
1969 Dodge Charger Daytona Clone 440/727
1970 Dodge Challenger Convertible 340/727
1977 Dodge D-700 Car Hauler 361/5spd
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 6.1/auto