Author Topic: Brakes: Power vs. Manual  (Read 1214 times)

Offline zerfetzen

• 'Cuda, should'a, would'a...you lost.
Brakes: Power vs. Manual
« on: May 02, 2006 - 01:30:36 PM »
Carrying over from another thread, I have a 74 Barracuda now with a 440 and large cam (.545 lift).  With this cam, I believe I have to worry about the power brake booster getting enough vacuum.

I'm pretty sure that 4-wheel disc brakes is a no-brainer improvement in every way over the rear drums.

But what I'm curious about, is manual vs. power brakes.  Is manual better?  Street Challenged suggested you get better feel with them on your foot, manual would suck less horsepower, you shouldn't have to worry about vacuum.  Isn't manual outright superior?

What is involved to convert a PB car to manual brakes?  Thanks.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Brakes: Power vs. Manual
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006 - 05:04:19 PM »
I can't answer your question, sorry.  :-[ I have a car with a large cam that would probably be trouble with power brakes. The manual brakes are not bad at all. Don't let that scare you. If you have any leg muscle at all, you can handle it.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline mopar-or-no-car

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006 - 06:17:05 PM »
I had a large cam on my 340 6 pak car and I also had power breaks! and they were scary!! you only got one shot at them!!! you are correct!! the booster did NOT build up enough vacuum to work the breaks! we were contemplating putting in a secondary vacuum canister of some sort just to run the breaks!! so we would have some!!!!!! because believe me one shot at the breaks sometimes ISN'T ENOUGH!!!!!!  :nono: Good Luck!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006 - 11:21:53 PM »
unbolt the power brake booster & install the firewall plate & bolt the master cyl to the firewall , you will need to get or make a longer pushrod to the master & you will need to have the residual pressure valves removed from the master to work properly with disc brakes , I like manual better also 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline zerfetzen

• 'Cuda, should'a, would'a...you lost.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006 - 11:25:52 AM »
Thanks guys, I was pretty sure that'd be the best way to do it.  :burnout: