Author Topic: 71 Cuda Steering wheel back and forth play...  (Read 8382 times)

Offline 67Vette427

• My other car is not a Rambler
Re: 71 Cuda Steering wheel back and forth play...
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006 - 06:55:02 PM »
Mine is pulling in and out of the steering coupler. It looks like the pin is in there but something inside the coupler is allowing it to move.
1 of 1 Mr Norm's T/A/ 2015 Hellcat, sublime/ 13 Power Wagon

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006 - 09:24:21 PM »
Mine is pulling in and out of the steering coupler. It looks like the pin is in there but something inside the coupler is allowing it to move.

67Vette427,
That Coupler is NORMAL.  There is some play in your column that shouldn't be there if the housing is bolted tight to the dash.  You need to pull it apart and see what's wrong and leave the coupler alone.  Does it move around enough that you steering wheel unlocks and you can turn the wheel, with the key out of the lock?
Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline 67Vette427

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006 - 10:33:14 PM »
Nope, you can take the key out and pull the wheel in and out and it still stays locked. The crush can is moving from the rest of the column about .25 to .50 inch.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006 - 11:27:34 PM »
Sounds like the nut inside the crush can is loose or stripped.  Mine was completely stripped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Easy to get check.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2006 - 08:55:05 AM »
Cody, when he pulls the wheel, he sees the gap under the crush can grow, but he sees the shaft trying to pull out of the coupler at the steering box.  I don't think that nut is loose.

I have 3 columns in the garage. I'll pull one apart this weekend and get a picture of the rear anchor/clip and whatever should be in there so we can close this thread.

Rob

Edit.   Here is the pic of my column.  After you take out the turn signal/emergency flasher switch assembly, Pull off the top locking clip, then the 3 screws holding the collar down, lift the plate off of the shaft, exposing the lock plate and ignition switch.  You'll see that you need 2 shaft clips; one above the bearing and one below it.  This is what keeps the shaft from moving in and out.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006 - 01:01:44 AM by shelbydogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2006 - 01:07:30 AM »
While your in there that deep, you might as well change your Ignition switch, and lock assembly if your wires are bad, or your keys are worn.  (some you can pull out while the ignition is on)   I bought new Ignition and door locks and keys on ebay from the same guy that sold me my trunk locks.
   Autozone.com   Sell the ignition lock on line for $9.99 and a 2 lock door kit for $8.99, but a locksmith will have to rekey the locks to match the ignition key or you can do it yourself if you have couple of spare locks, good eyes and patience.
You can push the release and the complete lock assembly pulls out.

Rob
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006 - 08:46:02 AM by shelbydogg »
Rob

Offline 67Vette427

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2006 - 10:35:19 AM »
Thanks!! I'll check it out today. But will loosing the telescoping wheel bring down the value$ ? :bigsmile:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2006 - 12:27:54 PM »
Thanks!! I'll check it out today. But will loosing the telescoping wheel bring down the value$ ? :bigsmile:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I'm hoping it does!!! We are the only two people that have them.  :ylsuper: Let us know what you find out. At this point, it really doesn't bother me, so I'm not going to tear my column apart(I'm being lazy here).  :-[

Mike
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006 - 12:30:50 PM by MEKrunner »

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 67Vette427

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2006 - 12:56:58 PM »
Well, I have it apart. I found that the entire shaft will almost pull out 2-3" at this point. I took two pictures to add to the thread. The lock ring is loose and wobbles on the shaft. Both of the snap rings were in place and looked good. All screws and nuts were in good shape and tight. The second picture is from the engine compartment, specifically where the shaft comes out of the housing. I'm wondering if there is suppose to be another assembly there for the reverse lock out thats missing and causing the play. It seems to me to be something from the engine compartment side that allows the shaft to come up.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2006 - 05:15:24 PM »
I agree with you about it being something in the engine compartment. It seems others don't agree. I just don't see how some clip(s) up by the steering wheel would prevent this problem. I see plenty of play at my coupler. I will post a picture tomorrow to prove my point.

Like I said, this isn't a major pain by any means, but it is interesting none the less.  :screwy:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2006 - 05:56:08 PM »
If that bottom clip was in, then the bearing attached to the housing, then the top clip, that bearing housing is what keeps that shaft from moving in and out.  How is your shaft lowe clip getting past the bearing to move in and out?   
Rob

Offline 67Vette427

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2006 - 07:23:59 PM »
Maybe there is a spacer or something that should be between the throwing star lock ring and the housing. Both of the clips were in but I think thats where the play is. The lock ring is really loose and wobbles on the the shaft but won't come off the shaft. Now that I've removed the housing that rides on the column, between the column and the crush can, the shaft will now pull out around 4-5".

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2006 - 09:15:02 PM »
Mike, you have the same problem.  If you guys can find two tight snap rings or any clips that stay in the groove, up against the bearing on the top AND bottom, your shaft movement will cease.
Rob
Rob

Offline 67Vette427

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2006 - 11:16:45 PM »
I made a small sleeve and slipped it in between the two clips and it stopped the back and forth play. I just need to adjust it a bit more. Maybe the bearing sleeve is worn.

Offline 67Vette427

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2006 - 12:28:08 AM »
Rob,

On your column does the lock plate sit on the shaft firmly or is there a small amount of play in it?

Thanks