XV001 - 70 Challenger Unveiled - Mosport Track Pics

Author Topic: XV001 - 70 Challenger Unveiled - Mosport Track Pics  (Read 3139 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: XV001 - 70 Challenger Unveiled - Mosport Track Pics
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2006 - 07:28:44 PM »
 :clapping:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2006 - 08:14:29 PM »
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!

Offline DQHemi

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006 - 07:49:59 AM »
Really nice work John, I own two 70 Cuda's and a 71 Challanger vert., could you give me a rough idea what it would cost if I shipped you one of my cars to have K frame suspension installed and rear big sway bar? Also I would like a new 4 wheel disc brake system.
You can send me a PM if you like.
Thanks

The suspension on the Challenger is our Level II setup.

It has an aluminum K-Member, aluminum upper and lower ctrl arms, aluminum spindles and aluminum power steering rack.  Front uses coilovers and the upper mount gets welded to the frame rail in the shock tower pocket.

In the back of the car the rear leaf springs are replaced with a three link rear setup with a panhard bar.  Lower links are billet aluminum.  Again, coilover shocks are used.  In the back the upper shock mount and one end of the upper link get welded into the car.  On the axle housing brackets are welded on for the upper link, lower links and lower shock mounts.

We also have several chassis stiffening components, including an engine compartment brace, sub frame connectors, a replacement lower rad support that ties the front of the frame rails together and some mandrel bent bracing that goes inside the front fender to tie the shock tower and outer firewall together. 

The steering column also gets reworked as the stock setup doesn't support the shaft adequately for a rack at the lower end of the column.  We machined an insert that gets tig welded into the bottom of the shaft and then a roller bearing is installed in the insert and held in place by a retaining clip.  The shaft is polished and then reassembled. 

Sway bars front and rear are splined shaft type, like is used on race cars, with billet aluminum links and spherical rod ends.  These type of bars are available in many rates, so if someone wants to go racing this can be tuned to their hearts content.  Rear sway bar is mounted through the frame rail with a bearing mounted in the rail.  Gets it up and out of the way and is pretty slick looking as well.

The shocks we are using are aluminum bodied adjustable and are about as good as they get, but also quite expensive.  The shocks are custom valved for the application based upon four post testing and track testing the car and are matched to the spring rates as well.  Shocks are revalvable and rebuildable and with the coilovers many spring rates are available and can be changed with ease if someone wants to go racing, as well as allowing easy ride height or corner weight adjustments.  We will likely offer a less expensive option down the road at some point.

This setup also requires brakes as the stock one's won't work.  Our Level II brakes up font are 6-piston caliper w/ 14" rotors and out back are 13" rotors.  We are also running hydroboost on the brakes.  The entire brake system was designed for the car to ensure optimal braking balance and overall performance.  Brakes were not off the shelf pieces just bolted on, but designed as a complete system, with caliper pistons sized for the specific application.  We may have a less expensive option at some point on the brakes as well, but right now all we have is the really good stuff, designed for optimal balance specifically for the vehicle.

So we will be selling all the suspension pieces, chassis stiffening components, really good shocks and really good brakes as a complete package - it's not just a suspension package if you will.  Final pricing will be determined later this month - we're quoting out components right now.  We expect it to be in the $15K - $18K range for all the pieces, including the Level II brakes.  Installation would be on top of that.  I know it's not cheap, but it's the best there is and was fully engineered by professional suspension people and it’s been fully tested - and it works really well.  Look at the XV Engineering section on our site and you can see what went into it. 

For the cars we are building, we set out to build the best pieces for them - especially in suspension and brakes.  The technology and expertise we got access to is pretty much unheard of in the aftermarket for any application, new or old. 

John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006 - 08:24:52 AM by DQHemi »
John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com

Offline DQHemi

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006 - 07:54:45 AM »
No A bodies? :walkaway:

We have no plans to build any A-Body cars as we don't think there will be enough demand for big dollar A-Body cars.  When we do this on a platform we are re-engineering the entire cars with many custom components.

However, we will be doing some of the suspension and brake pieces for the A-Body cars as there has been alot of requests for it.

We will do the Level I suspension and brakes for A Body as soon as we finish the B Body pieces.  As for doing Level II A-Body, we'll need to see if there is enough demand to warrant it.  We'll probably do the fuel system pieces for them as well.  Engine swap components is another possibility. 

John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com
John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com

Offline DQHemi

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2006 - 07:57:36 AM »
I would like to see a close shot of that instrument gauge cluster. :picture:

John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2006 - 03:05:33 PM »
However, we will be doing some of the suspension and brake pieces for the A-Body cars as there has been alot of requests for it.

Excellent, since that is what I want to upgrade the most. :bigsmile:

Offline gkring

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2006 - 05:06:37 PM »
How soon can we expect to start placing orders for the components? That gauge setup is like "right now". How will the convertible stuff differ from what you are doing now? I'm in!!

Greg Kring
1970 Challenger convertible
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline willhaven

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2006 - 10:04:55 PM »
Are you guys planning on selling the 6.1L Hemis as well? I remember something about superchargers and twin turbo setups. Will you provide the whole package as well?

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2006 - 07:43:29 AM »
I'm still waiting to see how that's all going to fit with an LA, Magnum, or B and RB powertrain. No oil pans, and no headers exist as far as I'm aware for that. I have a very interested party, but he's not re-powering the car to spend that kind of coin. Any news on fitting other engines?

Offline DQHemi

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2006 - 07:03:10 PM »
How soon can we expect to start placing orders for the components? That gauge setup is like "right now". How will the convertible stuff differ from what you are doing now? I'm in!!

Greg Kring
1970 Challenger convertible

Now that our TV commitments are done our focus is 99% on getting products priced and in production.  Until a week ago our priorotoes were almost completely driven by deadlines for the TV shows. 

We should have final pricing and availability info for most of our products over the course of this month and probably a bit into June.  As far as when the products themselves are shipping, they will vary, with things starting in early June - as a best guess. 

Convertible won't be different as we did full chassis stiffening already which would carry over directly to the converts.  Some of the interior, trunk finishing and stereo are probably the only real differences.   For the cars we build the tops will be done in cloth rather than vinyl. 

John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com
John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com

Offline DQHemi

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2006 - 07:12:55 PM »
Are you guys planning on selling the 6.1L Hemis as well? I remember something about superchargers and twin turbo setups. Will you provide the whole package as well?

Yes we are doing 6.1 HEMI as well.  Biggest constraint on us right now for those are we need to get our intake manifold cast as we really need a traditional type setup we can mount a four barrel throttle body on to get functional shaker, T/A, AAR and six pack hoods working.  We already have numbers from one foundry and are waiting for a second quote before it gets produced. 

We are doing a twin screw supercharger kit as well.  Intake will have an air to water intercooler built into it which will make for easy packaging in almost any vehicle.  Twin turbos were part of our initial engineering budget.  On of the objectives with the revised suspension was to create more space to package the turbos much more cleanly.  Unlikely it'll get tackled this year, but we'll see.  I'd like to bring an E-Body out to the Silver State Classic or one of the other open road races to put down some big numbers.  Twin turbos would work really well there.  We'll have to start messing with the aero on the cars some before that though.

If we're engineering the pieces for the cars we're doing, we're happy to provide all the pieces to others to do on their cars as well.  So yes, we'll provide these as complete packages to those that want them.

John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com
John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com

Offline DQHemi

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2006 - 07:34:05 PM »
I'm still waiting to see how that's all going to fit with an LA, Magnum, or B and RB powertrain. No oil pans, and no headers exist as far as I'm aware for that. I have a very interested party, but he's not re-powering the car to spend that kind of coin. Any news on fitting other engines?

We definitely will NOT be supporting all the different engine options.  We will do headers and pans for some of them.  426 HEMI would likely be a logical one.  Anyone that really wants this setup we can easily do custom headers and oil pans for and we know shops that we can recommend to do them as well.  Many custom car builders want custom headers as well.  The likely volume of this setup will not warrant producing headers in sufficient quantity for every engine application.  So if someone is married to a particular engine package, it may well mean a set of custom made headers - which we can do and many others as well.

As things progress we will start making up headers and pans for different engine packages.  We have all the typical engines around right now and there are people very keen to send their cars in for us to do installs w/ their existing power.  As that happens our 'library' of headers and such will grow as we do each install.  If the quantities warrant it we are happy to go have headers mass produced, but that definitely won't be the case for every engine package you could typically run in these cars. 

We have alot to do, and can only tackle so many things at once.  Many people are chasing after us for many pieces including applications beyond what we started out to do - i.e. we've now committed ourselves to doing A-body pieces.  TV shows turned priorities upside down for us in many ways. 

I think we're doing pretty well in terms of getting things done since we really only hit the ground running on building all of this last October.  Now we're out of engineering in many regards (still some to do, but all the core work is done) and going fully into production mode.  Including building complete cars. 

Nothing like many of these pieces has ever been available for these cars.  For all the years everyone's basically been waiting - a few more months should be worth the wait.

John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com

« Last Edit: May 08, 2006 - 07:38:17 PM by DQHemi »
John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2006 - 05:55:49 AM »
Thanks John. I still would like to see the new shop/showroom..still on schedule for July? I understand all the production issues, but you did a media blitz for the TV show and testing, so I figured you were prepared for the result of such a well thought out package being "advertized" so strongly. I'd still like to see mention of the "new Hemi only" part...lol..It's a small price to pay for such performance, but one definately worth mentionning. :burnout:

Offline DQHemi

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2006 - 07:38:35 AM »
Thanks John. I still would like to see the new shop/showroom..still on schedule for July? I understand all the production issues, but you did a media blitz for the TV show and testing, so I figured you were prepared for the result of such a well thought out package being "advertized" so strongly. I'd still like to see mention of the "new Hemi only" part...lol..It's a small price to pay for such performance, but one definately worth mentionning. :burnout:

Like I've indicated before, the TV show has driven many things, including the timing of putting ourselves out there.  The window for the TV show was basically the past few months or otherwisw a year from now (or quite possibly not at all), so that was a pretty easy decision.  Flip side, it was before we would have gone public otherwise - three to four months later would have been ideal, but it is what it is.  Once the TV was going live, it only made sense to to communicate broadly at the same time. 

Showroom should be done late June or early July - construction is well under way now. 

We still don't what other engine packages we will provide pieces for.  Will be a bit of time before that decision gets made and will probably be driven by how many people step up with given engine packages.  Having said that, there are some pretty compelling reasons to run the new hemi - its quite a bit lighter than even an LA small block.  If handling is the name of the game, that will deliver the best performance going around corners and can make plenty of HP.  Plus you get EFI and distributorless ignition.  Anyway, we'll figure out what other engines get supported directly. 

Looks like we've scored a cover shoot and feature article for the Challenger in one of the mags. 

John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com 

John Buscema
XV Motorsports
www.xvmotorsports.com

Offline willhaven

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2006 - 04:55:55 PM »
Twin turbos were part of our initial engineering budget.  On of the objectives with the revised suspension was to create more space to package the turbos much more cleanly.  Unlikely it'll get tackled this year, but we'll see.  I'd like to bring an E-Body out to the Silver State Classic or one of the other open road races to put down some big numbers.  Twin turbos would work really well there.  We'll have to start messing with the aero on the cars some before that though.
Looking forward to it. Also looking forward to seeing some performance numbers for everything. :)