Sassy T/A.....I only bought it for the wheels

Author Topic: Sassy T/A.....I only bought it for the wheels  (Read 1239 times)

Offline DAYTONA

Sassy T/A.....I only bought it for the wheels
« on: May 04, 2006 - 08:55:10 PM »
...many years ago I attended the MOPAR Nats in Columbus and I saw this T/A for sale....I wasn't really sure I liked the color, but the car was so nice it deserved a close look.....it was a matching numbers 44K mile original car, perfect interior, rust free, documentation etc etc.....a perfect non restored T/A....

...the owner was no where to be found, but the for sale sign said $14,500....a big price for a T/A at that time....I liked the car, but didn't really like the color....I had a couple of T/A Challengers at the time, P. Pink and Plum.....a buddy of mine was at the Nats that weekend with his P. Pink T/A too and we discussed the green T/A at length because he liked the car better than I did....long story short, the car was gone the next day, too late anyway...we both regretted not getting more serious on the deal

...flash forward about 60 days later and I am at a hot rod show in Indiana and this same T/A was for sale by the new owner(a Vette dealer) for $13,500, a grand less than 2 months earlier....I bought the car that day and had a buddy drive it home for me.....the real reason I wanted it was the wheels, it had steel wheels and doggy dish caps and my Plum T/A was SUPPOSED to have a set of these instead of the Rally wheels it was wearing....so, I bought the car basically to do a wheel swap....

...the next day I called my buddy in Ohio and told him I had just bought the T/A and if he still wanted to buy the car it was his for the same $$$ I had paid......the green T/A was supposed to have Rally wheels, so the wheel swap made both cars correct....in short, Dave bought the car on the phone that night and picked it up at a local car show the next weekend....the crowd watched this big car transporter arrive near the end of the show, load the T/A and it had even won a trophy that night....trophy, car and the new owner head for Mansfield Ohio.....

...over the next few years I saw Dave with both the P.Pink and Sassy T/A at several shows, the cars were both perfect specimens....both appeared in a couple of MOPAR Magazines during the next few years ....I know the car was sold again for about $22K, but I have lost track of my friend Dave and the green T/A.....it was a real beauty, even if it did look like Kermit the Frog :roflsmiley:

pix....before the wheel swap

Offline DAYTONA

Re: Sassy T/A.....I only bought it for the wheels
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006 - 08:58:31 PM »
the Plum T/A is still mine 19 years later, and still wears the steel wheels from the Frog Green T/A............I love the look of these wheels on a MOPAR

RedLine

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006 - 09:19:21 PM »
Nice story!  Thanks for sharing  :thumbsup: 

Looks like the cornfield really matured during the 19 years from the first pic  :biggrin:

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006 - 09:25:44 PM »
Very interesting story, Daytona!  Thanks for sharing it with us. :cheers:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006 - 09:40:56 PM »
good eye.....those pix were taken on the same road, probably within 20 feet of each other....and yes, they were taken about 19 years apart 8)

hey, seriously guys/girls, if my storys are too long, too boring, just say so....I like to look thru old stuff from time to time and it all seems like only yesterday it happened....I just attempt to offer a glimpse of the hobby in its infancy....

« Last Edit: May 04, 2006 - 09:46:12 PM by DAYTONA »

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006 - 09:44:00 PM »
No Chance Daytona, if there is 5 pages of unread posts and I see one with your name, I'll always read it. You had some great cars and I love hearing stories about them, wish I was older so I could have seen the cars in their prime. Or if not older richer so I can own one of the few that are still perfect.   :thumbsup:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006 - 11:03:14 PM »
No Chance Daytona, if there is 5 pages of unread posts and I see one with your name, I'll always read it. You had some great cars and I love hearing stories about them, wish I was older so I could have seen the cars in their prime. Or if not older richer so I can own one of the few that are still perfect.   :thumbsup:

thanx, I'll send you that $1 bill tomorrow :roflsmiley:

ps....I wish I was younger, but the late sixties was a helluva time to be on the streets even if I was a GTO/Chevelle guy then.....MOPARS were everywhere in my town because we had a Chrysler plant here....there is still an abundance of vintage MOPARS in town, several one owners....

Offline Beep Beep Dave

• Maple Leaf Mopars
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006 - 10:21:53 AM »
Great story! It looks like the T/A would have been FJ6? vERY NICE :droolingbounce: Was it a 4-speed car?

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars  Canadian Mopar site.
'70 Charger R/T
'69-1/2 Super Bee

If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one - Cavett Robert 

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006 - 12:17:38 PM »
Great story! It looks like the T/A would have been FJ6? vERY NICE :droolingbounce: Was it a 4-speed car?

Dave

automatic/console