Author Topic: header question  (Read 1050 times)

Offline MoparMatt383

• Member as of March 2004
header question
« on: May 08, 2006 - 07:57:33 AM »
I have decided to go with headers for my 340 for my 73 cuda.  I did a search and found some good info, but had a few more questions.  I dont really have the money for the TTI headers so I am going to go for the hooker super comps for 370 or so.  What is your opinion of these headers.  Are there going to be and clearence issues with anything?  Right now my front end is all stock with power steering.  The only add on I see down the road is an OEM sway bar.  Also do I need to use the 90 degree oil adapter on the hooker super comps or is there an oil filter that will fit as is?  Also I am going to be putting the motor and headers in around the same time.  What will make things easier.  Put the motor in first or putting the headers in first and and lowering the motor between the headers?

Matt
Too many projects and nothing gets done.

Offline Rob C

Re: header question
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006 - 08:15:47 AM »
I have a S/B '73, 4spd Cuda. I do not have the 90* oil filter. I can use a big one like the PH8 from fram with those headers. No clearance problem with filter screwed on the block.
I do have the Lakewood scatter sheild on the car.
Fitment wise, the scatter sheild gets in the way. My P/S dented one tube lightly. Use a device to keep the engine from rocking around. This also may sound stupid, but, use new engine mounts.
Otherwise, there would have been no problem with getting them in. The scattersheild was the only issue.  They'll go in easy. Drop the engine down 1st and bolt in the passenger side but not the drivers. Get the car way up in the air. Tilt the engine if need be and throw them in. Very easy to do these headers.
'73 Cuda, 360, 4psd & 4.10's
'79 Dodge Magnum, 360, 727, 9-1/4 W/3.55's

Offline MoparMatt383

• Member as of March 2004
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006 - 09:55:35 AM »
Thanks rumblefish thats some great info.  I forgot to mention that I have a 4 spd too, but I am going to use a stock bell housing for now.  Is the oil filter you mentioned the stock size and did you have to mess with any of your steering linkage when putting them in?

Matt
Too many projects and nothing gets done.

Offline wart1de

• Vivah
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006 - 07:07:00 PM »
Definately use new motor mounts as rumblefish has pointed out.
1973 Plymouth 'Cuda
1980 Ford Falcon XD ESP
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Offline Rob C

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006 - 02:04:36 PM »
Sorry about the delay in a response. Busy engine building and such....

The headers went in without removale of any steering linkage. Just get the car sky high.
On the oil filter, A shorty will fit without problem. A Stock filter, STP, MoPar performance filter, PH43 Fram or equal, will attach right to the block.
I also found that a long filter, like a PH8A or equal will fit without problem. The filter can be bolted right to the block, no problem in clearance with the headers with any filter mentioned.
'73 Cuda, 360, 4psd & 4.10's
'79 Dodge Magnum, 360, 727, 9-1/4 W/3.55's

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006 - 04:05:26 PM »
Im running dynomax headers in my car. Swapped em out for the old heddmans in a little over a hour and a half. Did NOT have to jack up the motor at all to do so. Didn't have to when i put the heddmans in about two years ago. Centerlink does need to come out, jack the car up pretty high (simple floorjack) and you should be able to get them in like did. Should wrap the tubes with blue painters tape to avoid scratching them on the way in. I have to runa  shorty oil filter since i do not have a 90* adapter on my setup. My centerlink had to come out because there is a tube that runs underneith in...atleast my dynomaxes and heddmans were that way.  :dunno:

Just my .02cents  :thumbsup:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline matt63

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006 - 08:47:38 PM »
As a note, I have the TTI's on my 340 '73 Cuda and they hit the Lakewood housing.  I had to grind alot off of the scattershield flange.  I don't imagine that the tech inspectors will like it although I don't think it is a structural problem.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD