I've created a monster.

Author Topic: I've created a monster.  (Read 4049 times)

Offline basement

I've created a monster.
« on: May 09, 2006 - 04:59:33 AM »
Since we've gotten our Challenger my wife has done nothing but talk about how she wanted to 'lay some rubber' but her experience with manual trannys and burnouts was extremely limited. So , we went for what started out as a casual drive one day with her driving. She was saying that she wished she could turn the tires over and get that awesome tire screech sound. We found an empty parking lot and I told her to just give it a bunch of throttle and let the clutch out. After about three times of no rubber layed she asked me what that bad smell was and I told her it was probably the clutch but don't worry about it, let's keep trying. She finally got it figured out. But the other night I called home from a business trip and she starts telling me how she had our oldest son out and was showing off for him and was trying to burn out to no avail, again that funny smell so she stopped. She got down the road and it dawned on her that she was trying second gear burnouts by accident. She felt kind of stupid but I told her don't worry about it, we got this car to have fun. But I also told her to be ready to learn how to change out clutches with me.
Now a question that I have. How do I power brake with a manual. I try and grab the brake with my left foot after popping the clutch but then the car will launch about ten feet and all I manage to accomplish is make the car go sideways, though that can be kinda fun too.
Thanks

Oldschool

Re: I've created a monster.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006 - 06:48:57 AM »
Line lock.....    :bigsmile:   

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006 - 12:06:08 PM »
Line lock.....    :bigsmile:   

That or i used to pedal dance with my mustang. drop the clutch and hop on the brake as fast as you possibly can. Only good for one gear, if you wanna go more go line lock. I run one, 318 smokes tires pretty good in 3rd gear  :naughty: They can be loads of fun but arent allowed in b/o contests if you ever consider those.

My line lock is armed with the rear defrost switch in the dash (not used) which gives power to a relay, and my horn button grounds the relay...locking the line  :burnout: :bigshades:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006 - 02:08:37 PM »
I started doing brake stands with my field cars when I was about 12. I hold the brake down with my heel and work the throttle with my toes. Use the left foot to pop the clutch. Works everytime!   :thumbsup:

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006 - 09:15:07 PM »
I use a 440.  No line lock needed. What size engine do you run Basement?  Tell your wife to get that clutch out sooner. You shouldn't smell anything clutch, just burning rubber.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006 - 09:41:19 PM »
I started doing brake stands with my field cars when I was about 12. I hold the brake down with my heel and work the throttle with my toes. Use the left foot to pop the clutch. Works everytime!   :thumbsup:

:iagree: Heel toe.  :thumbsup:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Hemimissile

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006 - 04:08:35 PM »
I stand on my gas pedal and enjoy the fumes from my tires :grinno:  :icon16:

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006 - 06:48:37 PM »
That is cool basement, some patience you have.  Just remember practice makes perfect, so sooner or later you might find you need some rear meats.
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline chrisII

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006 - 11:54:48 AM »
 tall gears and torque help with burnouts. with really low rear gears if you want to keep em spinning youll nead second gear. otherwise the tire speed catches the car speed more quickly. ive got 2.94s in my duster. lately ive ben having fun lighting em off at 15-20mph.  it really blows peopled minds when a car drives by an suddenly tacks up an lights em off fer 30 feet.   
   your wife neads to learn to dump the clutch more quickly

crazy larry

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006 - 08:17:00 PM »
practice makes perfect. Line lock helps also. get some pics :picture:

Offline matt63

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006 - 08:35:42 PM »
Basement... your wife needs to talk to mine.  I don't bother telling my wife what I do with the car as she really has no understanding of the whole thing.  Perhaps it was because she had no brothers!
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD