Odometer "adjusting"

Author Topic: Odometer "adjusting"  (Read 1582 times)

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Odometer "adjusting"
« on: May 10, 2006 - 03:02:22 PM »
I had to replace my speedometer and didn’t know if some of you know this:
Older Mopars have an odometer that “BEATS” or "INKS" the ten thousand wheel on the odometer. That’s so that once it hits 99,000 miles, the first digit will look worn and you’ll know to add 100,000 to anything displayed. This might help you looking at a car for purchase and don’t know the true mileage.
   Since our cars are so old, some of you don’t want that digit wheel looking anything other than perfect for various reasons.   I recently replaced my speedometer and wanted to stop the “beating” and adjust my odometer to match the old speedometer’s mileage reading.  So here’s how I did it. These are low quality cell phone pics, so there's a little unwanted glare.

After taking apart the dash and pulling the speedometer,  I turned it over revealing the odometer digit wheels.  The 10,000 digit is on the end and the “beater-inker” is operated by the cam in the pic.  After removing the clip on the end, this allowed me to remove the entire digit assembly to rotate the numbers to display the correct reading. Each wheel has to be rotated separately since the next digit only changes when a “zero” crosses it.  While I was in there, I tore off the “beater”. Before replacing the odometer, align the “legs”, make sure the required reading is displayed through the front hole, then reinstall the retaining clip.

This procedure should not be used to commit odometer fraud, but could be. So knowing how easy it is done could help all of us avoid scams from other sellers.     
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006 - 06:56:27 PM by shelbydogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline zerfetzen

• 'Cuda, should'a, would'a...you lost.
Re: Odometer "adjusting"
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006 - 03:21:02 PM »
This is great! I'm never selling my car, so no fraud there, but will do this to reset my mileage to my motor...he said it was broken in by about 600 miles, so there you go.   :woo:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006 - 03:31:19 PM »
Rob,
  That's interesting. A friend of mine once mentioned something about the first digit getting yellowed after it went around once. He was a Ford guy though.  :lol: Does anyone have a picture of before "beating", and after? I wonder what I have?  :clueless:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006 - 04:30:40 PM »
If the "beater-inker" was working properly, once the number passes the window, it starts getting beat on. So once the "0" changes to "1" in that column, it starts getting HIT. If "0" ever comes around again after the 99,999 mile reading, it'll show up looking scratched up, or darker.   I was lucky with the speedometer in my first picture. The arm wasn't hitting the digit wheel hard enough to leave any marks or scratches.

The last picture has a darkened 5th digit.

Rob
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006 - 06:55:35 PM by shelbydogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006 - 04:38:49 PM »
This isn't the best picture, but it's what I have on my 'puter now. It looks OK to me. Maybe that beater thing didn't work so well?  :dunno:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006 - 05:03:54 PM »
Yours doesn't look bad. The bad ones that I've seen, look like someone scratched it with the point of a nail or darker than the lower digits. Since I fix everything electrical in my car, I have to ask; what happened to your dimmer/dome switch?
Rob
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006 - 06:57:50 PM by shelbydogg »
Rob

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006 - 05:15:49 PM »
Yours doesn't look bad. The bad ones that I've seen, look like someone scratched it with the point of a nail. Since I fix everything electrical in my car, I have to ask; what happened to your dimmer/dome switch?
Rob

Ha,ha,ha,

Nice catch.  :grinyes: My dimmer switch was toast. Some genious had it wired so the dash lights were on all the time.  :eek7: I just replaced it with a toggle switch. I think you are the first person to notice my "creativity". Hey, we do what we can, but I couldn't find another dimmer switch at the time.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline scf100

• FAST LANE FOREVER!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006 - 07:58:11 PM »
while we are talking about Mike's dash, how did you restore the wording under the switches? They look new.
1970 Challenger R/T convertible 383…. 4-speed…3.91 suregrip

Triple Black

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006 - 01:57:04 AM »
my odometer on the Cummins is beaten to death , 500,000+ on it now

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006 - 06:50:25 PM »
I guess the "beater" should really be called an "INKER".  It seems to beat the digit if the ink gets hard or the pad falls off and the arm starts beating the paint off of it.  My pad had blue ink in it and discolored the used numbers.  Here is another pic of an odometer that I found with thr "INKED" 10000, digit wheel.
Rob

I edited the posts above to also call the "beater" an "inker"
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006 - 06:58:54 PM by shelbydogg »
Rob

Oldschool

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006 - 03:44:21 PM »
Very interesting and informative!  Thanks..  :ylsuper:   My old car has low mileage showing on the odometer-------------------------------------------most if them are 1/4 mile at a time....    :burnout:   :roflsmiley:   :ylsuper: