Author Topic: Oppinion on these tires.....  (Read 4449 times)

Offline JRoss22

• Member Since 05/08/2005
Oppinion on these tires.....
« on: May 12, 2006 - 12:37:24 AM »
Ok so I am at the point of buying new tires for my chally I have been looking at the BF Goodrich T/A Radials and the Goodyear Eagle F1 i think it is. So what are your honest oppinions on these two?

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: Oppinion on these tires.....
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006 - 12:42:34 AM »
BFG's just look bad ar$e! They preform good enough and have that classic touch.
I'm sure the Goodyears are just as good, the tire you've show looks like a wet weather tire with the groove style.

One vote for BFG here.  :2cents: :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006 - 06:52:00 AM by Rev-It-Up »
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

ukneil

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006 - 02:29:00 AM »
I would say it depends on your wheel size. BFG if you are looking for old school style with 14 or 15 rims, bigger rims will look better with the Goodyear imo :)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006 - 03:53:57 AM »
 :iagree:  What size rim are you going to use?  Are you going for old school or G-Machine look?

Do the Good Years come in 14 or 15" sizes?  They look like high performance V or Z rated directional tires and may be more available in the 17"+ sizes.  Also they don't have the raised white letters.  RWL make the tire (and car) if they are on 14-16" rims, IMO. 

They also may have a shorter tread height so unless you alignment is on the money, these tires may wear out faster.  The BFGs may have more meat.   If they are a V or Z rated tire, they may be made of a softer rubber compound and may be more prone to wearing faster and not that good in the rain but may have great dry road handling characteristics.  Actually, the Good Year F1 GS tires are an exception as they are designed to be a wet traction tire due to it's tread design.

Check out www.tirerack.com and look for the customer reviews of these tires.  They're 2 different type of tires, at least looking at the pictures.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline TRBrandon

• The Tire Rack
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006 - 07:24:02 AM »
Yeah the GY's are one of the best max performance tires available right now, check out the car and driver tire test a couple issues back (they tested here at TTR). They are awesome tires I drove on them on a modified CTS at the Bondurant school and have tested them on our track a couple times as well. But they will have a very short tread life and it will be hard to get the right size for these E Body's unless you have a plus 2 or more after market wheel. The BFG are decent but pretty old technology, they are the most popular RWL tire right now and have been for awhile. The Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 is my favorite RWL tire check them out here...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500
Brandon
Brandon@tirerack.com
800.428.8355 Ext 287

Offline R/T

• Johnson City TN
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006 - 08:13:24 AM »
BFG's
1973 Challenger (OO/=====\OO)  440 
Hemis and Harleys
2008 Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition  5.7 Hemi

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006 - 09:56:36 AM »
 First decide what size rims and tires you are going to run, then go to the tirerack site and bring up everything for that size.
 If your just buying tires for your slotmags check the offset on the rims first to make sure there won't be any problems with fit.
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006 - 09:57:08 AM »
I am going to upgrade my wheels and tires eventually and had the same question. With that said I am going to vote for the Goodyears because they are a much better performing tire. If you want a classic white letter look then go with the radial TAs.....
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006 - 10:09:47 AM »

Is there any such chart or professional tire review that stats the Goodyear's as better performing?  :dunno:
Just curious, you'll find most pro tire shops admitting that the less expensive brands are just as good, sometimes better than the over advertised expensive brands....in other words don't get eat-in a live by the media hype.

:faint:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006 - 11:46:33 AM »

Is there any such chart or professional tire review that stats the Goodyear's as better performing?  :dunno:

Not really a chart for every tire, but some have been tested and voted as a good tire. The F1 GSD3s have been tested by magazines and always come highly recommended. Tire rack has this customer survey and according to them the GSD3s are 3rd best and also have one of the highest mileage reported. The main reason I would choose the GSD3s over the Dunlop SPs is the tread design.
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline JRoss22

• Member Since 05/08/2005
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006 - 12:45:58 PM »
Thank you for all the replys and as for the size of the wheel its 14 and im thinking of running in the back 225/70R14 and in the fron it will be 215/70R14 and I amd hopefully going with the Radials as they offer a much more classic look than the Goodyears.

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006 - 12:59:37 PM »
From my experience, I have found that the Goodyear tires tend to have some of the best sidewall construction which helps thier great handling characteristics.  But my favorite tire of all time is a Bridgestone Potenza SO2 and it is because it has great handling, wicked wet traction, and is super quite.  The point is that to find the right tire, you first need to decide what size you want, then decide what characteristics you are looking for.  Do you need an all season or will a summer tire work?  How important is wet traction?  Ride quality, handling, noise, wear rating?  Then what do you want to spend narrows the selection down pretty quick.

Like I said, I loved the SO2's, but it isn't right for every car and I have had less expensive tires that I thought were better "bang for the buck" tires.

Out of the two tires you have shown, the Goodyear will blow the BF Goodrich away, but they are also much more expensive, will wear out quicker, and will definitly not be something you will want to run in the winter.  Be aware that any high speed rated "Max" or "Ultra" performance tire is usually not very good past 18,000 to 20,000 miles (and that is driving nice on them).  When these tires (not specifically these, but in general) get close to 15,000 miles on them thier wet traction performance starts to become a real issue.   The BF Goodrich will probably last you closer to 30,000 miles.

Bottom line is: The more you pay, the better performance, but the more often you are buying tires.

If it was me, I would be in a debate between the BF Goodrich Radial T/A and the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500.  I have had the T/A and it is a good tire, but would be very curious on the Firehawk.   I have had a set of just Firehawks on an 1999 T/A that were excellent tires for the money.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006 - 01:08:09 PM by HemiDog »

Offline Prowler Orange Challenger

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006 - 05:37:20 PM »
BFGs and oh they last last 40k miles I believe on my dads daily driven 72 Rallye Charger with a 400 4bbl back in the mid to late 80s and early 90s.

Offline Bueller1

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006 - 09:10:35 AM »
One thing to look at if you're gonna buy the BFG's is go to Costco and see if they are having a sale on them.The guy told me that if they carried the brand they could order any style/size that they made.I ordered 2 235/60/15 & 2 275/60/15 drag radials for $405 out the door after the buy 4 get $60 bucks off & I mounted & balanced myself at my work.Basically the $60 covers mount,balance,and disposal fee.Hope it helps.