Author Topic: Is it wrong to daily drive a numbers matching E-Body?  (Read 3645 times)

Offline uthustler

Is it wrong to daily drive a numbers matching E-Body?
« on: May 14, 2006 - 05:04:01 PM »
Want to get a 70 Cuda or Challenger, numbers matching possibly. If its a builder car, $30k would be a nice daily driver. If its a numbers car, will probably be double that for a daily driver. My question is, will I regret spending more for a more correct car to daily drive it? Or if you were going to daily drive it 20 miles on the freeway daily each way, would you get a recreation or non-numbers matching car?

Alaskan_TA

Re: Is it wrong to daily drive a numbers matching E-Body?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006 - 05:11:43 PM »
Find the best car you can affford and drive the wheels off of it regardless of numbers.  :thumbsup:

I drove my matching numbers T/A daily for 5 years, rain, snow or shine. It did get hit twice by negligent drivers, so there is always a risk. Driving them is were the value is as far as I am concerned. Once it is back together I am planning on it being my daily driver again, but I will try and keep it out of the snow this time around.  :bigsmile:

Barry

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006 - 05:46:22 PM »
It's your drive it how you would like.  It is till a car, and you can't controll people around you if you are driving it every day or just on those special weekends.
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Oldschool

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006 - 06:04:30 PM »
Insure it to value and drive the wheels off of it.......   :burnout:   :cooldancing:    ...Oldschool

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006 - 06:15:31 PM »
Just be careful as to where you park it, a #'s 340-440 car might go or pieces of it might go missing. Have had an air cleaner go for a walk once

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006 - 06:30:46 PM »
Insure it to value and drive the wheels off of it.......   :burnout:   :cooldancing:    ...Oldschool

I agree enjoy the H#!! out of it.

Thats my plan
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline Robb

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006 - 06:38:42 PM »
Are you able to work on the car yourself ?  Do you have a backup car ?   HOA ?

These old cars arent as reliable as today's cars and youll find yourself waiting on parts ALOT.  

Get AAA towing. Insure the car for how much you paid for it (or whatever you feel its now worth) and then track value increases and update that amount.  Hagerty and the others have mileage limits and constraints about how the car is used last I checked, also require a solid garage.

I originally bought my 70 Challenger to be a daily driver.   It had a 383-2bbl in it and was numbers matching survivor with original paint and a few shopping cart dings/ road wear, but at the time a plain ol SE was worth "something" but not the like the insane prices like we have now.  

I drove it everyday (when I wasnt modding or fixing it) for a year and half, (27miles each way to work on the congested freeway) and I only had liability on it.     At that time it was a reasonable decision, mainly because I had a backup vehicle and could do all my own work in my garage (even though they later wrote new HOA rules because of me and luckily I moved shortly after).   (PS:  The rule in that neighborhood now:  The only vehicle maintenance allowed on the property is changing of a flat tire, all else strictly prohibited)

Now with gas prices, the replacement cost of parts and an increase in raw value of the car, I only comfortably drive it on weekends.  
My current HOA prohibits building and dissembling vehicles on the property as well, but I was able to keep a real low profile from the neighbors by doing the 440/5speed swap by parking the car sideways in my 3 car garage and working with the doors closed.

I have been thinking/researching getting a different Mopar like a hardtop B body as a daily driver, but even a 318/auto in an ugly color 1970 Satellite is going for $13K. 

People are jerks too, getting door dings or worse "keyed" in the grocery store parking lot is a heartbreaker if you have a great paintjob.  A 70 E-body is an high profile vehicle that attracts attention, both good and bad

Its not so much, whether its RIGHT or WRONG...    but are YOU willing and prepared to accept the risks and consequences of YOUR own actions.  Go ahead and take your chances, but hey if something bad happens and your car's value takes a dump because its no longer able to be "numbers matching"....  then "No Snivelling Allowed"   :bigsmile: 

« Last Edit: May 14, 2006 - 07:40:44 PM by Robb »

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline ambitions2

• ..we gunna make it to the finish line...
    • 72 Challenger EV-2 Project
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006 - 07:16:35 PM »
Just be careful as to where you park it, a #'s 340-440 car might go or pieces of it might go missing. Have had an air cleaner go for a walk once

haha really?  How did that happen?

For the daily driver, do what you want, its your money its going to be your car.  To be a 100% in my opinon, what is the difference if it is a 340 non-numbers matching car you drive everyday or a numbers matching?  I just think if you are going to be driving it that much I would just do a non-numbers car, but again its your money do what makes you happy.  God all this talk, I can't wait to leave college and get home to work on the ride. 
Project: 1972 Challenger - 340 AT 8 3/4 3.23 gears
http://community.webshots.com/user/jtitan2220

Offline Robb

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006 - 07:31:14 PM »
haha really?  How did that happen?

Easy, alot of these old cars didnt have "remote" hood latches.  :bricks1:   Anybody can walk up and pop open the hood, unless you install one from aftermarket, or from a later model car...    :popcorn:

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006 - 07:42:45 PM »

.......yeah it's a bad design, just pop the hood and pick-a-part. lol  :-\
I have a open sensor on it now but still for someone with out an alarm.... :crying:

Drive it!! I have a #'s car and it is driven when ever I feel the urge....everyday, once a week when ever I want to drive the car is ready. Rob made some good points about reliability and gas prices. If you have the money for gas and the car is mechanically sound and well maintained you'll have no worries.....buy and enjoy.

Rain or shine.....the day below was pi$$ing down....lol :2cents:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Robb

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006 - 07:53:56 PM »

Drive it!! I have a #'s car and it is driven when ever I feel the urge....everyday, once a week when ever I want to drive the car is ready.

Rain or shine.....the day below was pi$$ing down....lol :2cents:

Carl,

Innocent question:
Which do you end up putting more miles on ?   The Jeep or the Challenger ?

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006 - 08:10:45 PM »

Carl,

Innocent question:
Which do you end up putting more miles on ?   The Jeep or the Challenger ?

The Jeep for sure....mainly because I pick Mum up from work and go get drunk at my cousins place so park it outside overnight. These are only 5 minute drives and IMO old MoPars like long drives, at least 30 minutes plus........

Though I haven't had the Challenger for 3 months now and only had it 2 months after 3 years of resto.....
When I get it back I'll really enjoy it once it's totally 100% complete..... :biggrin:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline TKat13

• Work In Progress...
    • Project Cuda
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006 - 08:59:23 PM »
DRIVE IT!

These are meant to be driven.
1974 'Cuda
2005 SRT-10 Ram
2006 Buell Firebolt XB12R (Murdered by person texting & driving)
2004 Mach 1

Offline Blackcuda

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006 - 07:58:34 AM »
The car collector dude that now owns three of the most valuable Hemi Cuda convertibles, two 71's and 70 says he drives them. He is the guy that just paid 2 million for an orange 70 Hemi Cuda  vert. on Barrett Jackson.

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006 - 09:20:43 AM »
If driving them is wrong I don't want to be right