Author Topic: Is it wrong to daily drive a numbers matching E-Body?  (Read 3635 times)

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: Is it wrong to daily drive a numbers matching E-Body?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2006 - 04:23:07 PM »
The car collector dude that now owns three of the most valuable Hemi Cuda convertibles, two 71's and 70 says he drives them. He is the guy that just paid 2 million for an orange 70 Hemi Cuda  vert. on Barrett Jackson.

He does drive them . . I saw them at the Hoover damn last year! 

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2006 - 04:33:02 PM »
Since i put in my new autometer gauges on April 29th, I've put 1,000miles on my car, we're only at the 15th.. DRIVE IT. Mines numbers matching, whoopty do for a 318 but i could care less, Its not really daily driven, its abused daily  :grinyes: I drive it, and drive it like it was built to be driven. It doesnt get a diaper rubbed on it in the garage, it gets a rubber scraper with some wd-40 to get the rubber off the 1/4s  :burnout:  :working:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

cudahob

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2006 - 04:59:10 PM »
1)Ummm for one thing, the fuel that is made for todays car is not that good for old
   lead engines.
2) Who has the money to put $3.00 a gallon in a car that get maybe 10mpg.

3) They're not that comfortable to drive daily, no cup holder.

4) It's a 35 year old car, and it's collectable; Honda is not.

5) You will probably get it stolen, wrecked, or you'll just get tired of it, then where
    would you be.

6) I have other cars/trucks to drive.

7) The average commuter is a nut, I know I am one.

I will baby my car, it's mine; I will have put hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars into it, there is only one person who cares for it, or appreciates it.

You wouldn't take a race horse and let it hang out with the nags IMO.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2006 - 07:07:17 PM by cudahob »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2006 - 10:48:23 PM »
They are meant to be driven , get on it  :burnout:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2006 - 12:13:00 AM »
They are meant to be driven , get on it  :burnout:

Definately agree

:burnout: Let-Her-Rip!  Yes they suck on gas, eh, it comes with the territory, gotta pay to play. My beater duster is a numbers matching slant  :rofl:, that outta get good mileage. I dont think ill own a newer car for quite awhile. Just nothing like driving some american muscle...yea i know the slants not muscle lol, but its the perfect candidate for my 318 when i upgrade the cuda  :bigsmile: You want to drive a Cool car it's gonna have its ups and downs. As far as theft and it getting wrecked? there are a few quick things you can do to complately disable your mopar from starting. You better know your classic mopars before you try and take my car  :swear:. It getting wrecked? Well your house could be leveled in a hurricane. Take your chances with anything, yea it is more likely on the street. I'll take my shot. They arent the easiest things to drive daily. but i sure as hell wouldnt want anything else...at this point atleast  :bigsmile:
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline Robb

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2006 - 12:17:54 AM »
I think there is a significant difference between

"Driving the Car"

and

"Daily Driver"

When I think of a daily driver I take it literally.    I think of it as the primary vehicle you use for transportation when needing a motorized vehicle, every day.   ~85% of your driving is done in this car.   Work, grocery store, movies, shopping, strip club, errands, to the bar, to concerts, church, strip club, restaurants, grandmas house, pick up the kids from day care, race track, post office   (ad nauseum)

Goody is one of the few on this board that I can think of at the moment, that really comes close to meeting my (literal) definition of "daily driver".  

PS Goody, hows that dent in your dent in the rear bumper coming ?   :villagers: :working: :bigsmile:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=20699.0

« Last Edit: May 16, 2006 - 12:21:12 AM by Robb »

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline Andrew

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2006 - 12:29:25 AM »
Hmm

Strip club twice?

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2006 - 12:32:33 AM »
 Mines not #'s matching but it's driven daily rain or shine it is my commuter. I have way too much fun driving it to ever let it sit at home.
 Just remember if you smash the grill it's probably not going to be easy to find another one (that thought will make you drive like a grandma!)  :lol:
 Do what makes YOU happy, you only live once.  :thumbsup:

ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline Robb

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2006 - 12:37:33 AM »
Hmm

Strip club twice?

and right after church too !   :grinno: :o :grinyes: :thumbsup: :biggrin:

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2006 - 12:41:42 AM »
When I think of a daily driver I take it literally.    I think of it as the primary vehicle you use for transportation when needing a motorized vehicle, every day.   ~85% of your driving is done in this car.   Work, grocery store, movies, shopping, strip club, errands, to the bar, to concerts, church, strip club, restaurants, grandmas house, pick up the kids from day care, race track, post office   (ad nauseum)

Goody is one of the few on this board that I can think of at the moment, that really comes close to meeting my (literal) definition of "daily driver".  

PS Goody, hows that dent in your dent in the rear bumper coming ?   :villagers: :working: :bigsmile:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=20699.0

Definate difference. My 'Cuda is my only drivable/roadworthy car at the moment.  I have the duster thats under surgery at the moment, that will be my replacement daily...somewhat, ill drive that say 4 days out of the week if i can keep from wanting to drive the cuda more lol. I'm 18years old, so i definately have places to go. 100% of my driving is done in this car. To the junkyard, race at the track, work, school, whatever. Duster is coming into play just to change it up a bit, get a little better gas mileage, do better on long distances if i wanna shoot to california to the weekend, etc. The barracuda will definately still get driven a lot though.

As far as the bumper, the repop bumper is 'on' there. i say 'on' there, because my brackets are bent from the impact. i cant seem to straighten them so that all four bolts line up, and it fits the body. so im trying to find some used brackets to swap out  :villagers:
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2006 - 12:45:21 AM »
classic car insurance does not cover daily driving situations such as to and from work.
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2006 - 01:17:59 AM »
classic car insurance does not cover daily driving situations such as to and from work.
What the..?? What does it cover and when? I've never checked into chassic car insurance so I don't know much about them. I figured they had some limits just didn't know how strict they were. 

ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2006 - 02:37:53 AM »

Classic car insurance down here is awesome. You can have either 2, 5 or 10,000 kms per year.
Named drivers under & over 25. $1,000 excess, I have my car insured for $100,000 at $950 a year!!!!  :biggrin:

I was on another plan for $2,980 per year and the value was only $50,000.  :eek4:

Glad I made the move............Works out to be 200km a week I can drive which is heaps, if I don't drive one week it builds up, so 400kms for the next week. Have two cars that's 400km per week between cars.
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2006 - 06:18:41 AM »
I say drive it! I use my Barracuda as a daily driver in the summertime. Rain or shine, asphalt or gravelroads. Store it in the winter.

Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2006 - 07:18:50 AM »
Whether you buy a #s car or not, I say drive it.  You can only look at it so long.  As for which you buy, that all depends on if owning a #'s car is important to you. 

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica