Author Topic: can/should you use goodmark quarters on a convertible?  (Read 1828 times)

Offline gkring

can/should you use goodmark quarters on a convertible?
« on: May 14, 2006 - 10:37:06 PM »
I'll be looking to repair my 70 challenger convertible in the next couple years. It has rust starting to surface in front of the rear wheels, but just typical stuff elsewhere on the quarter that a patch panel would take care of. Still looks good from the restoration 15 years ago, but I went the next paint job to be the last. Would I be better off trying to use the full repro quarter panel and splice it where needed? Once we strip the car down to see what we are working with that decision may get made for me. Teh car really will need the front sill section of the full quarter panel where it ties into the rocker. Just wondwering what the convertible guys do.

Greg
Arlington, Texas
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008 - 11:27:01 PM by gkring »
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline GCC

Re: ca/should you use goodmark quarters on a convertible?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006 - 02:12:21 PM »
Are the Goodmark quarters full-length panels, or just lower patch panels?  I have not seen them, but if they are a good match for hardtops, you should have little difficulty in fitting them to your convertible.  My Barracuda convertible has quarter panels from a '70 hardtop that were sectioned in above the upper body line.  They fit really well.  Find out how well the Goodmark panels match the original hardtop panels and how much metal they have above the upper body line.  Hope that helps...   :2cents:

Offline AARudy

• 1970 4-speed AAR---71 Cuda conv----70 Chall 440-6
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006 - 03:32:25 PM »
I ordered a goodmark decklid, and sent it right back to them, because it had horrible gaps....hopefuly the quarters are made to fit better...the deck lids are made over seas.....I think it said Tiawan right on the box....good luck!!!

Offline Wang

• "just hangin' out"
    • valleyautoworks.net
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006 - 03:37:45 PM »
The Goodmark A/M quarters are very nice. Far better than ANY quarter skin that I have worked with EVER. I have a full quarter here in a box right now and a customers conv. car.  Let me look at this closer and let you know in another post later if I would recommend going this route.

Duane.
Hurry,, Duane the tub,,I'm Dwouning....

Offline Wang

• "just hangin' out"
    • valleyautoworks.net
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006 - 04:53:33 PM »
I pulled the quarter  out and looked and compared to the convertible qtr. you will have to make some mods,, but it will fit. Up at the top where it meets the roofline you will have to bend the metal to flaten it. You will also have to cut a notch in the area where the qtr glass is at cause it is shorter. Otherwise it will work just fine.

If you do not buy the full qtrs, May I recommend an Install procedure that I use here on Chally's . Section the quarter from the side body line down. This will save considerable mudwork after the install, and is easy to "camoflage"
from inside the trunk.
Hurry,, Duane the tub,,I'm Dwouning....

Offline AARudy

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006 - 06:37:31 PM »
looks good!

Offline gkring

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006 - 10:03:35 PM »
Thanks alot. Double thanks for the time to take the pictures and unwrap stuff for me. Full quarters are quite a bit more than the skins to buzz in half like that, but I want to start researching it now before the car gets media blasted.

Greg Kring
Arlington, Texas
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline AARudy

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006 - 10:32:59 PM »
I just put NOS quarters on my AAR....I could have bought a whole nother car for what they cost! So I guess those Goodmark's go a long way when you look at it for cost effectiveness....I will probobly use them on my 71 convertible, so I'm glad you posted this!
R- :ylsuper:

Offline gkring

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008 - 11:26:34 PM »
Dragging this out of the archives, but two years later and that convertible driver is now on the rotisserrie and I'm a couple days from ordering parts. Any updated info on using full quarters for repairs versus trying to use skins? Final say will lay with my bodyman. I'm leaning towards using full quarters cut at the hard bodyline.  Wang's pictures are gone and I fogot I even posted this thread till I did a search.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008 - 11:31:37 PM by gkring »
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
Re: can/should you use goodmark quarters on a convertible?
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008 - 06:25:41 AM »
They will work. I've done several already.
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!

Offline gkring

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008 - 09:24:58 AM »
Thanks, do you also recommend cutting at the middle body line and just using the lower half or should I try to take it as high as possible.
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008 - 12:33:01 PM »
If you were going to cut on the middle line you might as well buy the quarter "skins" instead of buying the comeplete quarters. The problem with those is you end up making your own flanges on the bottom.
I think the best thing to do is replace the comeplete quarters and modify the tops for the convertible

Offline fishn4cuda

• Cuda Fan!
  • Ft. Jennings, OH
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008 - 06:50:35 AM »
If you were going to cut on the middle line you might as well buy the quarter "skins" instead of buying the comeplete quarters. The problem with those is you end up making your own flanges on the bottom.
I think the best thing to do is replace the comeplete quarters and modify the tops for the convertible
I agree. I did have an issue with the lip going down into the trunk jam.
Cant kill the mean and ugly. Only the good die young...I plan to be here a while!!

Offline A R T

• Looks like some one needs to be frisked....
    • Auto Rust Technicians/Safe-T-Cap
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008 - 04:51:47 PM »

We just finished a 71 Convertible. Used the OEM style from Goodmark. A little minor trimming and fitting and there on. NO PROBLEM. A bit pricey at $600, but in my opinion well worth it, much better then skins.

:2cents:

Dave
Nothing to see here folks, Its just a Bluesmobile.

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008 - 06:44:08 PM »
I dont see why you would want to cut off perfectly good metal. Almost anyone could get the lower panel to match up.

just my  :2cents: this is where i welded mine on.
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100